Visitor

Connected Cable modem successfully, but wireless router isn't receiving signal

OK, I just successfully connected my cable modem.  But the cable modem doesn't seem to send a successful signal to my wireless router.

My Netgear router (WGR614 v7) was working through my dsl, but when I tried to use it with the cable modem, I wasn't able to get a signal to or through the wireless router.  I read and followed the intstructions for installing the router, and still no luck.  So for the time being my computer is connected via ethernet cable. 

Any ideas why my perfectly good router doesn't want to work with my cable modem? 

Thanks.
Connection Expert
EG

Re: Connected Cable modem successfully, but wireless router isn't receiving signal

First. Reset the router back to it's factory default settings by using the reset button on the back as per the manufacturers instructions.

Second. After this is done, you need to powercycle the modem after the router is connected directly to it.

Proper powercycle sequence for all equipment:

Modem (wait) >> Router (wait) >> turn on Computer/s.
Visitor

Re: Connected Cable modem successfully, but wireless router isn't receiving signal

EG, thank you for your comments.  I've tried what you suggested, but still the router doesn't receive an internet signal.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Mac Expert
Joel

Powercycle means physically pulling the plug out of the back of the modem, waiting about 30 seconds; then, with the router connected, plug it back in and allow it to re-sync. If your modem also supports your telephone service, you need press the reset button (usually a small pinhole near the ethernet connection) until the modem reboots itself. Then, power up your router, etc.
Most Valued Poster

Complete instructions compliments of the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler (aka EarlyOut):

"Reset your router to factory defaults. With the power on, push and hold the reset button for at least 30 seconds. (Note that this will also set the administrator name and password back to factory defaults, so you'll want to change them once you've got things up and running.)

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup (telephony modems often do), press and hold its reset button until the modem reboots itself.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port of the router (the one that’s by itself) to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports on the router (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), and boot the PC. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs.

Last, boot up your wireless PC/laptop, and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth."
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Connection Expert
JamesR

I've tried what you suggested, but still the router doesn't receive an internet signal.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

You have a known good Router, cable modem and PC.  The Modem works with the PC and you have hit the reset button on the Netgear so youare back to factory defaults.  Doesn't leave much other than cabling.
Can you browse into the Netgear and see if it is pulling a Public IP address?
The last time this happened to me, I found the ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port, 
Good Luck

Bronze Star Contributor
Donut417

I had a simular problem recently. I had to clone the mac address of one of our machines to get connected to the internet. You could try that.
Donut417