Contributor
Dorothy26

Connected to the router, but can't go online

A couple of days ago I decided to login to my router settings and change the password so that no one outside of our home computers could use our wi-fi. Once I did this however, no one in my house could connect to the internet. I realized that I had changed the wrong thing in the settings and so I just reset my router. Now everything is hooked back up and at the default settings, but I still can not log on to the internet.

I have a NetGear router and a MacBook. My MacBook recognizes my router as a network that I can connect to, but when I do, I still can't go online. I'm using the newest version of Firefox by the way. Somehow my brother who has the same kind of laptop as me can connect to the Netgear but not me. I can connect my laptop with the wi-fi at work and everything works perfectly.

Is it the modem that I have to do something with or the router, or maybe both? I'd like to figure it out so I can get it fixed and put a password on it properly. My Ipod Touch can't even connect to it anymore. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Contributor
TomVA

Re: Connected to the router, but can't go online

Sounds like the modem isn't making its connection to Comcast.The internal network would still work just fine. I found that [sometimes] I needed to clone the Mac address in the router to get it speak with Comcast. You might try that.

Contributor
Dorothy26

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I'm not too network savvy, how do you clone the MAC address? Is that something I can change in my router settings or something?

Contributor
TomVA

Sorry, I mispoke. I meant cloning the Mac address in the router, not modem. There should be an option to do that in one of the setup screens for your router. I don't have a Netgear router, so I can't tell you which one, but under advanced settings on my router, the Mac address is one of the options.

FYI, I'm not an expert on these issues, but have set up several home networks for myself. I recall having exactly the same issue you are seeing - the modem seems to train properly and I can log into the local network properly, but am not able to access the Internet from that local connection. As I recall, cloning the Mac address solved that issue.

Others may have additional suggestions, but give it a try.

Contributor
Dorothy26

Thanks, I'll definitely be giving it a try when I get home. Hope it works :smileyhappy:

Networking Expert
Baric

If your brother's laptop can connect to the router and see the Internet, the it's likely not the router or the cable modem, but rather a wireless network definition on your MacBook.  First secure your wireless router by logging into your router, change the login password, then go into the wireless settings and turn on WPA2 encruption and setup a strong wireless password.  Do this from a WIRED system only or you will lose your connection and may screw up the router settings.

Once that is done, I would recommend you delete your network definition on the MacBook and reconnect from a clean state.

1. Apple -> System Preferences -> Network

2. Select Airport and then press the Configure... button.

3. Find your network SSID in the list, select it, and press the - button below the list.

That should remove the network.  To connect the MacBook, simply drop down the Airport icon, select your network and provide the wireless password when asked.

Contributor
Dorothy26

I'm not sure what my brother did to fix it, but our internet seems to be working now. I'd still like to put a password on our router, but I'm deathly afraid to change anything now since it all messed up the first time I tried.

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

You need to define what you mean by 'put a password on the router'.

Do you want to have to have someone enter a passphrase before they can get on your wireless network, or do you want to have a username and password required to log in to the router so you can see it's settings?

And FWIW, there is no legitimate reason you should have to clone your PC's MAC address to your router on the Comcast network. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
TomVA

This was a somewhat different situation than I understood. My impression was that people could join the local network but not see the Internet. I see now that I made some leaps in reading through the original post. My bad.

Re the Mac cloning, I agree that people have assured me that cloning the Mac address is not necessary. However, when I changed routers in my system in Mpls (that had been working with the previous router), i could joint he local network but couldn't see the Internet. At someone's suggestion I tried cloning the Mac address and everything worked from that moment forward. Just reporting. (And I'm pretty sure that cloning the Mac would not cause any problems even if it didn't work.)

You sound knowledgeable. What are the legitimate reasons to clone the Mac address? I'm ready to learn my new thing for today! :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
jazzy007

One situation work with MAC cloning, but not work with new device's MAC, is somehow original IP/Mac is still associated in Comcast DHCP server record.

Proper way to resolve this issue is to re-connect original device with IP/MAC already has record in DHCP, & "release" IP address. Some device will want to automatically renew again, so as soon as IP release & confirm released, it is recommended to disconnect original device's ethernet into modem asap after.

Next plug new device's ethernet cable into modem, "release" again on new device, wait for 5-10sec or so, & "renew". If it does not work the 1st time, do it couple time & be patient wait for 5-10sec or so between release & renew, it should renew after.

If it still does not work after couple try, likely DHCP server is not working properly, you could try cloning temporary, but better call Comcast to help resolve it. Since this issue might impact operation when IP lease is up.

Contributor
Dorothy26

I would like people to have to enter a passphrase to join the network. I suppose I'd also like to change the default login info so people can't access and change my router settings, but that's when all this happened in the first place so I'm hesitant to try again.

Regular Contributor
jazzy007

Dorothy26 wrote:

I would like people to have to enter a passphrase to join the network. I suppose I'd also like to change the default login info so people can't access and change my router settings, but that's when all this happened in the first place so I'm hesitant to try again.

What model# of netgear router do you have?

Have you try goto netgear website & download user manual in their support page?

How to change default login to a router is normally router specific, it should documented in user manual.

Networking Expert
kevj

@ TomVA,

if you properly powecycle your modem when you change the device that is connected directly to it, the new MAC address for the curently connected device will be associated with a new IP at the DHCP server in the Comcast network. The only legitimate reason I can think of is if you wanted to keep the same public IP address for your connection, yet change the device that is directly connected to the modem. As Comcast residential IPs are not static, even doing this can prove fruitless if Comcast make changes to the local section o the network you are on, which could cause the LAN segment within the Comcast network you are on to change. Proper use of a dynamic DNS services can prevent any issues with changing WAN IPs, so while the practice of MAC cloning may be 'legitimate', it isn't necessary by any means, unless your WAN IP is used to allow access to specific resources, such as a corporate LAN. This is likely the issue with your MPLS problem...the IP address of your router was being provided by DHCP, and the IP address was also being specifically allowed to access network resources. Once you changed devices, the DHCP server gave yo a new IP address that wasn't in the allowed range or group on some firewall somewhere. When you cloned the MAC address, the DHCP server thought your original router was back on the network, and gave it it's old IP back (possibly as a result of a static DHCP configuration, which always gives a device with a certain MAC address a specific IP address.)

Cloning the MAC address of a PC onto the router is unlikely to solve any connection quality related problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Dorothy26 wrote:

Those are two seperate changes.  Without knowing what router you have, we can't give explicit instructions.  But your router's manual should detail the steps.  In general you log in to the router's admin interface, go to the page that changes the admin password and save the change.  Some routers will make you log in again using the new password.  Once you do that, you then go into the pages that configure the wireless signal, choose an encryption setting (best to use WPA2-PSK with AES), and provide a strong password, then save the changes.  I would then reboot the router (just to start up clean with the proper settings).  Now any laptop or wireless device trying to connect to your router will be required to enter a password.  As I've said before, if the device (like your MacBook) had been previously connected without a password, you may need to go and delete the wireless definition on the device to clear things up.

Contributor
TomVA

@kevj

Once again I have the opportunity to increase my knowledge thanks to people like you. Appreciate the response.