New Visitor

Connecting a Linksys WRT54G - HELP!

I can't get my WRT54G to work with my new Comcast connection. I just had the cable modem installed today and thought it would be easy as I had Cox in another city and it was a snap.  Any suggestions?  I have made small changes in the router interface so maybe that could be the problem? Do I need user ID and password?

Thanks -
Michael
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Connecting a Linksys WRT54G - HELP!

Credit to EarlyOut

Standard, canned advice, time-tested....

Reset your router to factory defaults. With the power on, push and hold the reset button for at least 30 seconds.

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup (telephony modems often do), press and hold its reset button until the modem reboots itself.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port of the router (the one that’s by itself) to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports on the router (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), and boot the PC. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs.

Last, boot up your wireless PC/laptop, and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth.
New Visitor

I did this exactly and I found that while the router and the mdem do connect and are communicating, I still get no internet. The reason for this appears to be due to DNS. My connection worked fine until the middle of the night a few days ago. I woke up to no connection. As I started to investigate this, I found that when following the steps, I get the comcast outside ip. I can ping outside networks via the router tools and from the pc connexted wirelessly  - ip only. So At least here in the bay area, there seems to have been a change to dns and thus I cannot get out unless using ip addresses.

Any ideas?
Connection Expert
JamesR

Is your router set to obtain DNS Automatically?
Is your PC set to obtain DNS Automatically?

What happens if you Bypass your router and power cycle from the Wall out?

Below please find two links with step by step instructions for troubleshooting connectivity issues and gathering information to paste back here so that the regulars can help you

Recognized Contributor

wssjhghh wrote:

Any ideas?

Yup.  Set the DNS servers in your router to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.  Then tell your PC to get its DNS from the router (probably 192.168.0.1).