Contributor
sandlynx

Connecting a Windows XP Pro computer

I just got a pre-owned Windows XP computer and tried to connect to Comcast, and it's not connecting.  I used the Internet Connection Wizard and apparently I didn't do something right.  After trying to set up the connection,  I went to Network connections and it says:

Broadband

www.comcast.net

Disconnected, Firewalled

WAN miniport (PPPOE) 

Can anyone walk me through setting up a Windows XP Professional computer? 

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Connecting a Windows XP Pro computer

Are you trying to connect to a straight router or a combo modem /router gateway device, or directly to a cable modem ?

Contributor
sandlynx

I have the cable modem and a 4-port router.  

I also have another question:   Since the installer set up my first Windows XP computer, I don't know what I should fill in as connection info.  Is it www.comcast.net or comcast.com?   When I type in my user ID, do I use just sbarringer68, or sbarring68@comcast.net?  

I did shut down all 3 computers before trying to get the third XP computer to connect.   I also unplugged the power supplies to the modem and router.   I then plugged in the ethernet cable to the router.  Then powered up the modem and waited for it to sync.  Then I powered up the router. I powered up all 3 PCs.   After that I tried to make the connection with the Connection Wizard.   It indicated something wasn't right so that it couldn't connect, but I don't what.  

Should I have only powered up the PC I was trying to make a connection with?   Lots of silly questions, I know. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Don't you just connect a computer with a wired ethernet into one of the router ports.

Then you find the wired ethernet device under networks and change it to DHCP, which is called figure out everything automatically or the like?

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-DHCP-Network-Settings-on-Windows-XP

Contributor
sandlynx

That's how it works on Linux.  Just bring up eth0 and you're online.   I looked up the instructins for setting up Windows XP and there's more to it than that. 

I tried finding the ethernet device under networks and the page is blank.  I just went to Network & Internet connections and under Network Clients, there is nothing listed for Network Adapters.   I think we just found the problem!  I should have run diagnostics on this computer as soon as I received it, but I didn't.   This is being returned ASAP.   Thank you for your help.