New Visitor

Connecting my iPhone

I just switched to comcast from Bellsouth. I have a linksys wireless router and all my computers are working fine with the new connection. However, my iPhone and iTouch are no longer able to connect to my wi-fi connection. My iphone connects to other wifi connections without any problem. Apple has no solution for this. Please help.
Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Connecting my iPhone

loser1 wrote:
I just switched to comcast from Bellsouth. I have a linksys wireless router and all my computers are working fine with the new connection. However, my iPhone and iTouch are no longer able to connect to my wi-fi connection. My iphone connects to other wifi connections without any problem. Apple has no solution for this. Please help.

Do the two devices pull an IP address from the linksys router?
Did you add wireless encryption to the wireless network at the time you hooked up the comcast?
Did the two devices connect to this same Linksys router before Comcast?
Email Expert

Is this a Comcast-supplied router or one of your own? If it's Comcast's, how many other devices do you have connected to it? I think Comcast limits the number of devices that can connect to their routers to 5.
Networking Expert
Baric

It should work just fine, I talk to my iPhone all the time on my Linksys based wireless network.  But we need som information to narrow the problem down.

1. What Linksys router?  Model number, please.  Is it yours?
2. How is the router's wireless segment secured, if at all?  WEP/WPA/WP2?  MAC filtering?
3. How many other devices do you have running on your network, total?  In other words, how many IP addresses has your router issued via DHCP?  Are you near the configured limit on the router?
4. On your iPhone, on the Settings -> Wi-Fi page, what is listed under Choose a Network?  Can you see your router's SSID?  If so, select it so a check mark appears in front of the name.  If you click the > angle bracket on the right, what do you get for settings?
5. If the network is not listed, then it hasn't been defined yet.  Select Other, enter the SSID and security type.  If using WEP/WPA/WPA2,enter the key or passphrase configured on the router, and press the Join button.
6. If your router is filtering on MAC address, have you added the MAC address of the iPhone and iPod to the list on the router?  Find the Wi-Fi MAC address at Settings -> General -> About, listed as "Wi-Fi Address".