Regular Contributor

Connecting to Comcast thru my Samsung Blue-ray player

I've hooked up my new Samsung Blue-ray Disc Player. I want to use the internet connection option. I am using a wire connection for now. I put in all the IP addresses, subnet mask setting,gateway and DNS setting. When I click on the test connection it puts a check mark in front of Mac and the except IP address and all the aforementioned settings. It then tries to connect and puts an X in front of the Gateway Ping!! Have I got one of the settings wrong is is there something else wrong? Thanks

Email Expert

Re: Connecting to Comcast thru my Samsung Blue-ray player

How do you have everything connected? Do you have a router or a switch? Unless you pay Comcast for multiple IP addresses, you need a router so you can connect multiple devices to the modem.

Connection Expert
JamesR

What were the values that you entered for the Default Gateway, the IP address and the Subnet masks?

Of course we are also interested in the questions posed by Barmar above.

Specifically, are you connecting to the Modem aor are you using a router?

Regular Contributor

Thanks but I finally got connected. Comcast sent me a router to plug in from my modem. It finally connected  after unhooking modem from power and restarting my computer a few times. Thanks again for help

New Visitor
CameraOne

I am having the same problem. I am now on hour 10 of trying every possible configuration and following endless threads online. My best result has been failure at the ping test. Apparently many people are having the same problem from Samsung BR players and TV's. Enough people seemed to be showing positive results that I kept at it but am now ready to throw the thing out into the snow.

I have the Comcast RCA broadband modem running to a Netgear 5-port Ethernet Bridge. My Airport Express and Blu-ray player are split off from that. Everything else in the network works flawlessly. I have tried running directly from the modem... same effect. I have tested all of my cables. I have pulled all of my addresses from the Network section of System Preferences on my MacBook Pro. When I go to the test it fails at Ping. I honestly don't know what I am missing at this point.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Lets see if we can sort this out,

Walljack via coax to modem.

Modem ethernet to Netgear Wan Jack

Netgear Lan Jack via ethernet to BluRay device

PC via ethernet to Netgear Lan Jack

Browse into the netgear and look to see if you  can see the BluRay in attached devices.

If you can't see the BluRay as an attached device then replace the ethernnet cable

Still no joy, replace the netgear

Still no joy, replace the BluRay

Email Expert

Unless you pay Comcast for multiple IPs, you can't connect a bridge to the modem (a bridge is another term for switch). The modem should be connected to the Airport router, and you can use the bridge on the LAN side of the router (if the Airport's 3 Ethernet ports aren't enough).

Connection Expert
JamesR

split you123 post into a thread of its own for troubleshooting purposes please click on the link to navigat to the new thread

Connection Expert
JamesR

Split the addended post into a thread of its own and have locked the thread.