Contributor

Connecting wireless laptop to comcast home network

Daughters laptop had been working fine connecting to Comcast but it has lost the wireless connection.

Have the Comcast Linksys router hooked to main computer and that works fine. How do we go about connecting her laptop again.

thanks

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to comcast home network

mtyetti wrote:

Daughters laptop had been working fine connecting to Comcast but it has lost the wireless connection.

Have the Comcast Linksys router hooked to main computer and that works fine. How do we go about connecting her laptop again.

thanks

Is the Wireless Light Lit?

Is the Wireless switch in the On position?

What error message do you get when trying to connect the laptop?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Incidentally, if you have a Home Networking contract with Comcast, you can call  Comcast and transfer to the home networking group and they will walk you through it.:smileyhappy:

Contributor

The router works on all the other computers at home.

The lights are lite and we get interconnection on other computers.

The laptop is not recognizing the address

Thanks

Connection Expert
JamesR

mtyetti wrote:

The router works on all the other computers at home.

The lights are lite and we get interconnection on other computers.

The laptop is not recognizing the address

Thanks

You are welcome.

1. Is there a wireless On/Off switch on the Laptop? (usually on the left side)
  2. Is the switch in the On position
  3. What is the Operating System on the laptop? (XP, Vista, Win7 etc)
  4. What is the Indication that the laptop is not recognizing the Address?

Contributor

There is no wireless on and off switch jus the power switch, Operating system is XP

Comcast internet connection went down last night, when it came back the main computer can sign on to Comcast and bring up the internet but the laptop won't bring up comcast now.

Thanks
Tom

Connection Expert
JamesR

Thanks for the information

1. Click on Start > Run amd type cmd in the runbox
  2. At the Blinking Cursor, type "ipconfig /all" and hit enter.
  3. Use your mouse and Highlight the information from step 2 and hit enter (This will copy the info to your clipboard)
  4. Open up a new post here in your thread and use ctrl v or rightclick and past the information into the post

This will give some information so we can see why your Laptop is not connecting.

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

Are you able to see the wireless network in range when you look at your connections?  What type of laptop is it that you are working with?  Cause any of them should have a wireless switch/button to get the wireless card enabled/disabled.  Is the comcast router an all in one device or seperate?

Oh and I don't think there's a home network group anymore, just regular old internet and they should t/s this for their customers now that they are handing out the router to anyone who rents a modem.

Contributor

Thanks for everyones help, finally had to call Comcast, the first person I talked to said I had to reset the router and start all over.

I didn't feel comfortable doing that so I call back got a different Technician and he told me that was not necessary and walked me exactly thru what to do.

For some reason and he didn't know why, when the Comcast router stopped working it dropped my network and identified it as "Custom"

He had me type in an address that showed that information, had me connect wireless with that network then we changed it back to my old settings.

Took about 5 minutes to do and everything was fine.  Thanks again for your help

Connection Expert
JamesR

Excellent!  Glad you got it going.  Might want to write that procedure down because it sounds like something that could occur again sometime :smileyhappy: