Visitor
913mallard

Constantly Blinking Status Lights - N 150 Router

I recently set up a Comcast-supplied Netgear Wireless-N 150 router, connecting to my Dell desktop and Comcast modem.  The setup went well and the wireless functon works smoothly.  Here'e my issue:  both the internet status light and the wireless status light on the front of the N 150 blink constantly, whether my desktop is on or off and whether any or all of my wireless devices (Roku box, DVD player, iPhone and iPad) are on or off.

Do the constantly blinking lights on the N 150 indicate a problem, or is this just something we have to live with?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Constantly Blinking Status Lights - N 150 Router

If the Power light is blinking green is says the Firmware is corrupted

If the wireless light is blinking it is transferring data

Do you  have Security and Encryption enabled to keep the Neighbor boys from hacking in and using your router for internet access?

here is a link that might help

How-to-Secure-a-Wireless-Router

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

The Internet light blinking is rather normal on most modems. It's 'background' traffic it's seeing. Nothing to worry about.

The wireless status may be similar. It may be blinking because it's broadcasting it's ID code or something?

Visitor
913mallard

The power light is a solid green.  I do have Secuirty and Encryption enabled; I changed the Netgear router login password from "password" to a very strong password, and I enabled the WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) passphrase with a very strong passphrase.

I will take a look at the link you suggested.

Thanks for your help.

Visitor
913mallard

That's  my hope, thanks for your help.

Visitor
913mallard

UPDATE:  Since my original post, I contacted Netgear customer support to learn if they had any answers to my question.  Netgear responded that this was an issue I should take up with my ISP (Comcast.)  I did that this morning via Live Chat with Comcast Customer Support.  The Comcast analyst wrote:  " . . . if the light is blinking on the [Comcast-supplied cable] modem and the [Comcast-supplied Netgear N 150 wireless] router and if you have no issues with regard to your connection like slow or intermittent speed, that's fine.  Blinking lights only mean that the modem is communicationg with us [Comcast.]  I followed up with "even if my desktop is turned off and my wireless devices (iPad) etc. are turned off, blinking lights are OK?"  The Comcast analyst replied:  "Yes, that's correct."