New Visitor
Lazaros
Accepted Solution

DHCP

[ Edited ]

I just switched back to Comcast today and received a SMCD3GNV for my modem/router hardware.  How gimped can a piece of hardware be?  How do I turn off DHCP?  I need this off because my 2003 server does this for me.

Connection Expert
EG

Call in here to request that they put that gateway in to bridge mode; 1-800-363-2416.

It will then function as a plain vanilla cable modem. Use your own home networking router with it.

Email Expert

But if you put the gateway in bridge mode, you'll get DHCP from the Comcast server. It doesn't sound like he has his own router -- if he did, the gateway's DHCP wouldn't be a problem.

New Visitor
Lazaros

Re: DHCP

[ Edited ]

I have a 2003 domain controller that handles my home network's DHCP and DNS.  I wanted to use Comcast's router for the wireless clients in my house but have the DHCP turned off so that my DC can pass out the addresses.  Looks like this can't happen without bridging the thing, so it looks like I will have to buy a seperate wireless router just so that I can serve wireless clients and have the DHCP turned off.

Connection Expert
EG

It's all yours Barmar..

Email Expert

I think you may be out of luck. If you don't have your own router, you need the gateway's routing function to allow multiple devices to access the Internet. And if it doesn't allow enabling and disabling the DHCP server separate from routing, you can't use your own DHCP server as well.

I suggest you purchase your own router, and return the gateway to Comcast and get an ordinary modem from them.

New Visitor
Lazaros

UPDATE:  I called this morning after the install and was passed around to five different people because no one could tell me why I couldn't turn DHCP off for the internal network.  The last guy transferred me to the sales department of all places so that I could purchase more advanced support for 5 dollars a month.

Someone just called me back to see if my issue was resolved.  i told him my problem and he didn't understand either.  He thought I wanted a static outside address.  Once he understood what I wanted he told me that this service isn't in my contract and that I should pay the 5 dollars a month for more advanced help or take this issue up with the router's manufacturer.

Being frustrated as I was, I told him to bridge it.  I'm heading to Best Buy to buy a wireless router.

Networking Expert
Baric

Yes, bridging the device and getting your own router is the right thing to do here.  The SMCD3GNV with the Comcast firmware is a piece of junk.  While there is no way you the customer can disable the DHCP server (Comcast can but the user interface doesn't support this function), you can alway change the DHCP settings to to a very narrow range and statically assign the one IP to a non-exisitent device, I haven't tried this since I don't have the device here, but it might work.  But getting your own router which you control is a much better answer.  Never let Comcast controlled devices control your local network, you will be very sorry if you do, eventually.