Contributor
chripuck

Disable Wireless

How can I do this on an Arris TG862?  I'm a tech guy and am frankly baffled why this isn't available. Am I missing something?

Contributor

Re: Disable Wireless

You cannot manually do it. The most you can do is to disable the SSID broadcast, but if you truly just dont want the wifi or want to bridge the device to use your own router you would need to give us a call 800-363-2416 and we can take care of it for you.

Contributor
chripuck

That's exactly what I want to do.  My EMTA is down in the basement in the very corner so I can backfeed the telephone line.  It's wifi only reaches a small portion of the house because of this so I want to use my own wireless router upstairs and bridge the internet with Powerline networking equipment.

Can I not do it via the advanced page at 192.168.100.1?  I just need the password of the day :smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
EG

You need to call. If the above poster is indeed an employee, he is not allowed to divulge the "password of the day" in a public forum.

Contributor
chripuck

I know, that's why I put the smiley after it.  Anyways, there is this nifty little feature called "Private Message" that wouldn't broadcast it across the internet.

Personally I find it incredibley stupid and borderline offensive that they have these EMTA's so locked down.  There's nothing proprietary about bridging my network or turning off wifi.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

chripuck wrote:

Personally I find it incredibley stupid and borderline offensive that they have these EMTA's so locked down. There's nothing proprietary about bridging my network or turning off wifi.

I couldn't agree more ! IMO, they made a big mistake (for many reasons) by deciding to mass supply any type of combo "gateway" devices to subscribers in the first place...

Contributor
chripuck

I think they wanted to further validate charging the $7/month for the EMTA.  I still can't believe I can't use my standard Cable Modem with a Linksys VOIP router.