Visitor
Accepted Solution

Ethernet connection doesn't work on Terayon Cable Modem

I'm renting one of the Terayon TJ715x cable modems from comcast, and internet works fine.  However, the ethernet part (since it has both it and usb) has never worked.  Up until this point, there was never really a problem since I could share out the internet to other computers.  However, I've yet to find any Windows 7 x64 drivers for the usb, and I would prefer to use a router for the internet sharing.

So, are there either any drivers for Windows 7 x64 (or even possible Vista x64), or is there some way to get the ethernet part working?

I've done all the normal activities to fix these problems.  Powercycling doesn't work, and no matter what computer it is hooked up to, the ethernet doesn't work.

Odd things I've noticed would be that the modem PC light is always on, even when nothing but the power is plugged in, and that the computer knows it is connected to the modem, it just can't get an ip from it.  No matter how many times you try to connect or repair the connection, it simply cannot get assigned one.

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Ethernet connection doesn't work on Terayon Cable Modem

[ Edited ]

Are you trying to use both USB and ethernet on the modem at the same time? If so, that may be the cause of the problem. Don't know much about Win7 so I can't really help you there, but you certainly shouldn't need any special drivers for getting the ethernet connection to work, unless you have a really old machine, with a NIC that Win7 may not recognize....

If you cannot to the modem from any PC or the router, you may have a defective modem....Comcast should be able to help you with that...you'd have to call them for support.

Message Edited by kevj on 07-11-2009 11:05 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Bronze Problem Solver

BruceMiles99 wrote:

I'm renting one of the Terayon TJ715x cable modems from comcast, and internet works fine.  However, the ethernet part (since it has both it and usb) has never worked.  Up until this point, there was never really a problem since I could share out the internet to other computers.  However, I've yet to find any Windows 7 x64 drivers for the usb, and I would prefer to use a router for the internet sharing.

So, are there either any drivers for Windows 7 x64 (or even possible Vista x64), or is there some way to get the ethernet part working?

I've done all the normal activities to fix these problems.  Powercycling doesn't work, and no matter what computer it is hooked up to, the ethernet doesn't work.

Odd things I've noticed would be that the modem PC light is always on, even when nothing but the power is plugged in, and that the computer knows it is connected to the modem, it just can't get an ip from it.  No matter how many times you try to connect or repair the connection, it simply cannot get assigned one.

Ethernet is the preferred network connection. Did you check to see if you have a good ethernet cable and a good working ethernet NIC? If you do then maybe you have a bad ethernet port in the modem. Does your NIC show up as working in the device manager? Did you try another ethernet cable?

Visitor

[ Edited ]

No, I'm not trying to use both at the same time.  And yeah, my NIC better be working, it's the one sharing the internet :smileysilly:.  But seriously, yeah, it works.  Both the card and cable.  I've used both recently to connect to a dsl connection at another house (using both XP AND Win7).  It's also currently being used as the cable sharing the connection with another computer (with XP through the router with the DHCP turned off, acting like a switch.)

For the drivers, I was just wondering if I could do the same thing I am doing now (on XP) which is sharing the usb connection out over the ethernet, only using Win7.  But if there are no drivers, and the ethernet port is bad (which is what I assume....) then I guess I'll be stuck on XP until I get a replacement.

Message Edited by BruceMiles99 on 07-11-2009 08:31 AM
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

When you say you power cycled the modem, did you do it with the USB cable unplugged?  That's necessary.  I'd follow these steps:

1. Remove the USB and ethernet cables from the modem.

2. Remove the power cord and let the modem sit for 2 minutes.

3. Reconnect the power cord wait until the Cable light on the front comes on solid to signal the modem has establisjed a connection to Comcast.

4. Connect the ethernet cable from your computer to the cable modem and reboot your computer.

5. After the system is up, does the connection work?  If no, what is the status of the PC light on the front of the modem?  What about the link light on the ethernet jack on your computer (may not be there on all jacks)?  Does the jack light flicker or is it solid?  What does ipconfig /all say? I would turn off all Internet sharing, configure the IP address and DNS addresses to be automatically assigned and then issue the ipconfig /release command, followed by ipconfig /renew.  If either fails, please post the exact errors.

If after the troubleshooting in #5 is unsuccessful, I would recommend you get a new cable modem.  If you rent this one from Comcast, you can simply turn it in for another at the local office, but call first to make sure they have a replacement in stock.  Otherwise, schedule them to come and replace the faulty modem. 

Another option is you go and buy your own cable modem.  Motorola sells their DOCSIS 3.0 modem at retail these days, I hear.  Modems by Linksys and D-Link also work well.  You simply call Comcast and tell them you are installing your own modem and they will walk you through the procedure, you will need the serial number and  HFC MAC address on the new modem to give to them.

I would also recommend you get rid of Internet Sharing completely and get yourself a router.  Let it do the connection sharing, it's faster, simpler, and means you are not dependent on that XP system being up all the time for other systems to connect.

Message Edited by Baric on 07-11-2009 01:03 PM
Visitor

[ Edited ]

I wasn't quite sure if I had powercycled with the usb disconnected, so I tried and followed everything you said exactly as you said.  Unfortunately, connection didn't work.  The PC light on the modem is blinking (however it is always blinking, even when - as I said earlier - nothing except the power cable is plugged in)  The link light on the ethernet jack on my computer is blinking.

ipconfig /all says:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : thebeast
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit E
thernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-4D-53-A4-8E

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.108.188
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

>

ipconfig /release worked

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

ipconfig /renew didn't

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con
tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

So, I'm assuming it is dead.  I've tried multiple computers and connections, and it doesn't work, and now with this last try not working it doesn't seem very possible that it still works.  I'll call Comcast to get a replacement in the morning or when possible.

I would buy my own, but most in stores are way too much ($50?) and I haven't founda perfect DOCSIS 3.0 modem online (good seller + lower price).

And I do have a router of my own.  It was how I first found the ethernet problem.  But now it's just being used as a nice wireless switch now.  I hate the integrated windows sharing option, prefering other ftp programs and the like, but this was working so I didn't change it since I thought it would only be temporary.  And like you said, depending on the computer to be on and sharing can be annoying.  Like my brother, who is using the shared internet to connect his Xbox360 to the live service.  Restarting means no internet for him.

Well, thanks anyway.  If  you can think of anything else, I'll try, but it doesn't seem to be quite worth the trouble when I can get a hopefully fully-functional modem in a couple of days.

Message Edited by BruceMiles99 on 07-11-2009 07:59 PM
Networking Expert
Baric

Yep, it sounds like the modem's ethernet port is dead.  Time to replace the cable modem.  If you rent this one, you can get a replacement free by just swapping it out at at your local office.  You can buy your own, but I would only buy a DOCSIS3 modem like the Motorola SB6120, and it's a tad pricey at the moment, Amazon has it for $94.70.  THe cheapest and quickest way is to get a new one from Comcast.  If you go with them replacing it during a scheduled visit, make sure they do not charge you since the problem is on their end (bad equipment).
Visitor

Yeah, just a little bit pricey.  I'll get it replaced by Comcast.  Thanks for helping me out.
Networking Expert
Baric

Good luck.
New Visitor
Bracksfour

I know this is an older post, but I am having the exact same problem, and was wondering if getting a new modem solved the problem.

Thanks.