New Visitor
RugerPuppy

Find Network Security Key

I have had 2 PCs directly connect to our Arris cable/telephone router for many years. I have purchased a new laptop, it "sees" our wireless network as available, but asks for a network Security Key. How do I find this? Thank you!

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Find Network Security Key

What router, exactly? Whoever setup the wireless router assigned a password to your wireless network, what is it?  If you don't know, get it from whoever setup the wireless network.  If you can't, then log into the router and change it.  If you can't log into the router, then reset it to factory defaults and use the default admin password to log in and reconfigure from scratch.

I can't be more specific until you say exactly what you have and how things are connected.

New Visitor
sfullmore_7559

I am tryiing to connect my laptop through my SMC router hooked to my desktop. It asks for a secuirty key, which i have not been provided. My router S/N is H210480E5EC5. I would greatly appreciate the security key to do this. Why it was not given to me when Comcast hooked my router up I do not understand.

Networking Expert
Baric

There shoud be a sticker on the gateway with the relevent information.  Otherwise, simply log into the gateway http://10.0.0.1 and change the wireless password to whatever you want.  The default userid is "admin" and the default password is "password".  If they have been changed, then either reset the device to factory defaults (press and hold the Reset button for more than 15 seconds) or call the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416 and have them take care of for you.

Networking Expert
Baric
New Visitor
pigsrule1969

look on the label that is attached to your ARRIS router, it gives the name and network key