Most Valued Poster

Frequent cable modem resets required...

I have a 3Com cable modem (about 5 years old) I rent from Comcast, and a Netgear 802.11g WAP, and a few computers connected wirelessly.

At least once a day -- more, if one of the computers is downloading a lot -- all Internet traffic freezes. We reset the cable modem, it comes back up, everything continues on. This seems to happen more frequently since we switched from a Siemens 802.11b WAP to the Netgear.

Is this a known problem with old 3Com modems, or a configuration issue? Is it time to buy a cable modem? If so, can anyone recommend a model available at CompUSA or BestBuy?
Most Valued Poster

Re: Frequent cable modem resets required...

Get Comcast to give you a new modem. Older modems might have an issue with the overhauling Comcast is doing on its network.
Regular Problem Solver

KrayZ.....
Have you checked modem signal levels at:
http://192.168.100.1?
Try this...and post ALL figures you get back here.....
Most Valued Poster

Um, 192.168.100.1 is not an Internet address, and my router doesn't use the 192.168.100 subnet -- so I'm not sure what URL you really want me to visit. Are you saying that my router should have a status page that lists the signal levels? Or that a Comcast server should be able to show this info?

I'll try that address anyways this evening, unless you've posted a different one by then...
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

Some modems use that for the interface page.......
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Most Valued Poster

Interesting. Does this apply only to modem/router combination boxes? It has to be a LAN-side address, 'coz it's not globally unique (as a modem status page)...
Regular Problem Solver

KrayZ....
NOT ALL modems use this address for a status page; many do, however...If you have a modem/router combo (like the Linksys WCG-200), this address MAY not work....But you need to check signal levels coming into your modem....
Regular Problem Solver

KrayZ....
NOT ALL modems use this address for a status page; many do, however...If you have a modem/router combo (like the Linksys WCG-200), this address MAY not work....But you need to check signal levels coming into your modem....
New Visitor

i have the same problem too. it seems to come and go without resetting the modem too. i know it has to do with the modem because the modem will be slow to respond too . i tried both ethernet and usb connection to the modem.

i've learned that when i surf the comcast pages, it tends to speed things up. funny how my connection is faster to the comcast server from my computer than it is to my modem!
Most Valued Poster

Dale, I tried visiting http://198.168.100.1/ and couldn't find the host. That's pretty much what I expected. Does anyone know if Comcast can check the signal levels remotely, or do they need to come into the house?
Most Valued Poster

They can check them remotely
New Visitor

I am having the same issue. Every couple of days, I have to power down and power up the cable modem to restore the connection to the Internet. Sounds like replacing the modem is the best option.
Most Valued Poster

Hi all! I'm happy once again.

I called Comcast Tech Support, and asked them to check my signal levels. They checked my (rented) modem's status, and found that the signal levels were fine.

I asked about whether the age of the modem (it's a four- or five-year old 3Com model) might cause the connectivity problems I'd been seeing, and after thinking about it for a moment, the tech said "yes." He said that the older modems couldn't handle the higher speeds to which Comcast has migrated, and that might cause the problems. He said that I could upgrade anytime by swapping modems at a Comcast payment storefront, or (when I pressed him) buy my own modem and save the $3/mo rental fee.

That evening, I had to reset the modem 3 times in the course of an hour. Fed up, I hied myself to my favorite computer store and bought a Motorola SB5100; got home, called Comcast with the MAC-address, swapped modems, and have been running for two days with no reset required (it's been a LONG time since we've gone more than a few hours without having to reset the modem).
Bronze Star Contributor
txnative69

Congradulations...
Regular Problem Solver

....Gotta love those 5100s......!;>)
Glad you're back in the Fast Lane!
New Visitor

I have the same problem and I am running a on a rented RCA DCM315 using a Belkin Router. Does anyone know if this is a up-to-date modem? I experiance the problem most when running FireFox ( a Mozilla based browser) and sometimes but not always If I run Windows Explorer from the Comcast HSI Icon it fixes the problem( but not running explorer from my standard Windows Icon). Sometimes it seems to fix itself and sometimes only a powerfail on the modem works.