Contributor
Contributor
ksa
Accepted Solution

HELP Connecting to a wired home ethernet network!

I just moved into a house with Structured Cat5 Cabling. There are wired Ethernet jacks in all the rooms that lead back to a big network (patch?)panel in a downstairs closet. The phone wiring is also there and I currently have it plugged into the Comcast Wireless Gateway in the closet.

I can't figure out how to plug the gateway into the panel so that I can have a wired connection upstairs. When I plug it in 2 things happen. The Gateway freaks out and my WiFi and phone service stop working and my computer upstairs that is plugged into the wall jack shows a connection, but it says "no network access".

What am I missing? Is there some other equipment that I need to make this work? A router? Or a Switch of some sort? I thought that the Gateway did all that. PLEASE HELP! 

Official Employee

Re: HELP Connecting to a wired home ethernet network!

[ Edited ]
Something in your home wiring system is shorting out your gateway.
Networking Expert
kevj

ksa wrote:

I just moved into a house with Structured Cat5 Cabling. There are wired Ethernet jacks in all the rooms that lead back to a big network (patch?)panel in a downstairs closet. The phone wiring is also there and I currently have it plugged into the Comcast Wireless Gateway in the closet.

I can't figure out how to plug the gateway into the panel so that I can have a wired connection upstairs. When I plug it in 2 things happen. The Gateway freaks out and my WiFi and phone service stop working and my computer upstairs that is plugged into the wall jack shows a connection, but it says "no network access".

What am I missing? Is there some other equipment that I need to make this work? A router? Or a Switch of some sort? I thought that the Gateway did all that. PLEASE HELP! 

Please tell us exactly how you are connecting the gateway to the panel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
Contributor
ksa

I guess that's my problem. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to connect it. Each line on the panel has punch down wiring from the cat5 and a jack. The first row says input from service, and all the others are outputs. I had the gateway connected to the input jack AND cat5 line. Obviously that's wrong, but I can't figure out how to make it work.
Please help! The only thing I know about networking is what I've read online.
Contributor
Contributor
ksa

And it seems like the gateway is only good if you only need something wired in one location in your house. I hate this thing.
Official Employee

If you could add a picture of your set up it might help
Networking Expert
kevj

ksa wrote:
I guess that's my problem. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to connect it. Each line on the panel has punch down wiring from the cat5 and a jack. The first row says input from service, and all the others are outputs. I had the gateway connected to the input jack AND cat5 line. Obviously that's wrong, but I can't figure out how to make it work.
Please help! The only thing I know about networking is what I've read online.

So there should be 4 ethernet ports on the gateway, and two phone ports. If you have no other switches to extend your network further, you should be able to connect an ethernet cable from each of the LAN ports to one of the ports on the panel that goes to a room in your house, and activate ethernet in 4 of the rooms. You can add switches to the gateway as necesary to enable ethernet in other rooms, or add a switch in an ethernet activated room to connect multiple devices in that room.

Telephone cabling is usually connected to a punchdown block so that you connect the incoming line (in your case, from the gateway phone port) to a port on the phone punchdown block, and it will distribute the signal around the house.

Ethernet doesn't work like that. It has to have a switch or hub at a central point, in a 'hub and spoke' topology.

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
Contributor
ksa

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Contributor
Contributor
ksa

Thank you!!!!!thank you thank you thank you.

So, I finally got it to work... in 1 room at least. I guess I was making it waaaaay too complicated. If you see the pics I posted, you will see what I was walking into, and nothing is labeled.

One more question. The lights on the Ethernet ports at the back of the Gateway... When I plug in to the room that is letting me access the network successfully, I get a solid orange light and a flashinf yellow light. When I am plugged in to the room that isn't working for me, I see a solid green light and a yellow flashing light. Any idea what these mean?

Networking Expert
kevj

OK...in the bottom picture, where does the yellow cable connected to the Input punchdown go?

Help us to help you!!

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

ksa wrote:

Thank you!!!!!thank you thank you thank you.

So, I finally got it to work... in 1 room at least. I guess I was making it waaaaay too complicated. If you see the pics I posted, you will see what I was walking into, and nothing is labeled.

One more question. The lights on the Ethernet ports at the back of the Gateway... When I plug in to the room that is letting me access the network successfully, I get a solid orange light and a flashinf yellow light. When I am plugged in to the room that isn't working for me, I see a solid green light and a yellow flashing light. Any idea what these mean?

Well, glad we got something working..

what model of gateway do you have? We would have to review the manual to see if there is a description of the LEDs...

Founfd this:

Creating a Wired Internet Connection

You can connect the wireless gateway to computers using a standard Ethernet cable. Simply plug an Ethernet cable into one of the 4-Gigabit Ethernet ports, located on the back panel of the wireless gateway.

Each of the ports has two LED indicators that indicate the traffic speed.

• Green indicates 1000 Mbit/s (Gigabit Ethernet).
  • Orange indicates 10/100 Mbit/s (Fast Ethernet).

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
Contributor
ksa

ok thanks. that makes sense. Its an Arris tg862g.

Contributor
Contributor
ksa

hey kevj- I'm back again.

So, my desktop upstairs is now plugged in to the wall plate and is able to access the network...yay! The problem now is that when I try to get on the Internet it is REALLY slow. Takes 15-20sec to load each page. It is doing this on wireless and on the wired LAN connection. I ran diagnostics and it says that the computer is configured correctly, but the device or resource DNS server is not responding. At first I thought something must be wrong with the wiring, but its the same with WIFI too. And its not just the 1 machine, its doing the same thing on my laptop. Is there some setting I need to change on my Arris Gateway?

btw...you are the only source of help I have ever been able to find with regards to any of my Comcast services. Their so-called  "techs" are useless. I know you don't work for them, thank you for what you do!

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

You are welcome for the help....

The TG863 gateways do not, tobe honest, have a great reputation.Iff youlook around these boards, there are a lot of posts about them. The usual advice we give is to have it put in Bridge mode, and WiFi disabled (you have to call in to have that done),then use your own router for WiFi access. Putting the Arris in bridge mode will not affect its telephony functionality....

The slowness when you are wired may be as a result of bad signals on the cable connected to the modem. You should be able to get the siganl stats from it by browsing to 192.168.100.1.

You can also checksome troubleshooting tips here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/12...

Post the signal stats and we can see ifthere is anything wrong there. Others may chime in, because I am not such an expert with the cable side of things...

Help us to help you!!