New Visitor
Lucindap22

HELP! I need help resetting my network security key!

I accidently deleted my network security key that goes with my wireless network! How do I reset it or change it or find it again! I cannot access my wireless network without it!! Please help!! I have been stressing and trying everything all night!

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: HELP! I need help resetting my network security key!

This has nothing to do with email, so I'm moving it to the Home Networking area.

As for recovering the key (I'm assuming WEP here), simply log into your wireless router and look at the wireless settings, the keys are there.  However, WEP is not a good encryption method, it is easily broken and has been for quite a few years.  I recommend you change your encryption setup to WPA or better yet WPA2, both with the AES algorithm.

If you no longer know how to log into the router, then you will have to reset the router to factory defaults. Consult your manual for the exact instructions for your particular router.  Then reconfigure the router from scratch, including the wireless settings like SSID, encryption type, passphrase, etc.

New Visitor
Lucindap22

My security is WPA2 with the AES algorithim.  Somehow I accidentally wiped out the security (pushing buttons, my fiance says...:smileyhappy:  I found the reset button on the router.  What is SSID?  What is encription type? And what is the passphrase?  Is the passphrase the security key I need to set with something I'll definitely remember?  I am sorry to seem so ignorant!!   What if I don't have the manual? Can I look it up online?  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! I really appreciate it!!! :smileyhappy:

Email Expert

SSID is the name of your network. It's used to distinguish different wireless networks in the same area (so that you don't try to use your neighbor's wireless router, and vice versa). Make up a name that you'll recognize in your laptop's list of wireless networks to join.

Encryption type is WPA, WPA2, WEP, etc. WPA2 is currently the most secure, you should use that.

Passphase is the security key that you need to remember, since you'll have to enter it into the other wireless devices that join your network.

New Visitor
Lucindap22

Thank you sooo much!! I will get right on it!!  I appreciate all the help!!!