Contributor
jba95

Home Networking w/ Comcast ARRIS TG862GCT Modem

Pulling my hair out trying to set up my home network.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!

My previous set up was with an older Comcast Motorola modem cabeled to a 4-port wireless router (Linksys WRT54G2). From the router, I tethered an 8-port Linksys 10/100 switch. To the switch I connected my Canon ImageClass MF4270, a file server, and (2) desktops. Worked flawlessly! File sharing, network printing, everything! Even wireless connections worked for handhelds, and my G/F could print across the wireless network.

Upgraded to the ARRIS TG862GCT by Comcast b/c of the new pricing (Feb '12) This is an AIO device as you know, phone, internet, 4-port hub/switch. I noted that this new hardware has a different IP structure; my old IP addys were 192.168.XXX.XXX. now, this thing has an odd address structure, something like 107.X.X.X.

Now, I have NO wireless printing, NO wired printing/networking, NO connection thru the switch. Upgraded the switch to a Netgear 8-port gigabit switch, STILL nothing. Had (3) techs out to troubleshoot; modem has been replaced a THIRD time. Tech's could not get network corrected, claimed NEW switch was BAD.

Tested the switch, pass. Changed the printer IP address, nada.

I only have internet connectivity if I hardwire to the back of the modem. G/F laptop connects to the modem wirelessly.

All machines are running Win XP Pro, 10/100 networking or wireless.

HELP?

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Re: Home Networking w/ Comcast ARRIS TG862GCT Modem

Call Comcast and have them put that gateway in bridge mode.

Contributor
jba95

ST;

Thanks for the response; I have been reading on this forum that the 'gateway' is a common problem for networking issues. 

Q: Is there ANOTHER contact number for Comcast? I have had no luck with tech support when I call the regular 1-800 number. Often the tech is not well trained, they are only capable of running the most basic diagnostics.

I have also been 'nudged' into signing up for the 'premium' tech package, $20/mo for full IT support. 

I don't think I need this. 

J.

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Well if you really want to do it right, get rid of the gateway all together. Go out and buy a modem and save the $7/mo fee.  Now you can use your router and all it's functions.

Networking Expert
kevj

call the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416 and have them place your gateway into bridge mode

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
jba95

[ Edited ]

Toss the Comcast modem in favor of my own hardware? Hmmm, that may be a plan. This may be an option when I get out from the apartment living and into a house. 

Does gonig this route have any ramifications, like early termination of phone service or anything like that?

Incidentally, I did a little 'troubleshooting' with my existing hardware. I took my OLD wireless router (the Linksys previously described) and tethered it to the Comcast modem. I then took another network cable and hooked it to the 8-port switch. Success!!!!! Now I have networking and internet through the switch.

Conclusion? It is definitely hinging on the modem gateway settings as you described. 

Thanks for the info/insight, appreciate it!

J.

Contributor
jba95

Kev;

Thanks for the number, I will give them a call!

J.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

jba95 wrote:

Toss the Comcast modem in favor of my own hardware? Hmmm, that may be a plan. This may be an option when I get out from the apartment living and into a house. 

J.

It may be an idea...but not too fast!  The TG862GCT is an eMTA gateway...so, are you using Comcast voice for phone?  If so, you can not just casually grab up a retail eMTA.

Currently, the only approved retail eMTA is the Arris TM722G purchased specifically through a Best Buy store that has a Comcast center.  Not always easy to find, and not always an easy ride getting your own eMTA provisioned.  Not saying that it "can't" be done, but not so simple, either.

I get internet and voice, and have a TM722G Comcast rental.  At the current price for the eMTA ($149.99), versus the $7.00 per month rent (not to mention the activation fee on a new eMTA), it would take around 2 years to break even.  That is 2 years where if the eMTA dies...it is your problem, not Comcast's.  Further, the TM 722G while being a good eMTA, is circa 2009 design.  Buying a 3 year old model does not strike me as a prudent buy...after the 2 years that it earns its keep, you now have a 5 year old model, and likely time to move on.

Its a whole different story for internet-only modems!  There are several very good models to choose from that are pretty current, and cost only around $89 retail, and even less with judicious shopping.

Contributor
jba95

PC2

Thanks for insight. I am currently using the Comcast 'rental' ARRIS modem w/ triple play (TV/Voice/Internet). I was forced to go to the 3P because of pricing. My bill is $110.00/mo.

I was hesitant to make this change; the service into my building is always spotty. I have spotty connectivity all the time. There have been service calls for crappy internet service going back (3) years. So I didn't want to rely solely on Comcast for a phone. I still have a land line as a backup.

But that's a story for another forum/discussion topic.

If I was going to go and purchase my own hardware, I'd probably just get a modem, go back to a land line from Verizon, or perhaps get Vonage.

Contributor
jba95

KJ;

I want to be sure I have a good handle on this:

Q: Does swithnig the device into bridge mode change any of the functionality of the modem, e.g. wireless/telephone?Currently the G/F is connecting to the wireless provided by the ARRIS, and not another antenna. I also take advantage of the 4-port 'hub' on the back of the ARRIS as well.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

J.

New Visitor
Sientz

PeteC2 wrote:

It may be an idea...but not too fast!  The TG862GCT is an eMTA gateway...so, are you using Comcast voice for phone?  If so, you can not just casually grab up a retail eMTA.

Currently, the only approved retail eMTA is the Arris TM722G purchased specifically through a Best Buy store that has a Comcast center.  Not always easy to find, and not always an easy ride getting your own eMTA provisioned.  Not saying that it "can't" be done, but not so simple, either.

It might be a 2009 EMTA but it has a good track record.

Networking Expert
Baric

Placing the gateway in bridge mode disables the router and wireless functions, but does not effect the telephones.  In essence, bridge mode turns the gateway into an EMTA, a combination cable modem and telephony terminal.  You will need to get your own wireless router to handle the routing and wireless functions, but this is a good thing, since these are the precise components in the gateway that are so bad.  Any decent wireless router will usually also have 4 LAN ports for ethernet connections.  Avoid the use of Apple Airport Express models since these are designed for wireless only setups, or as range extenders in Apple wireless networks.

Good wireless routers include Linksys EA2700 and up, Netgear WNDR4000 and up, Apple Airport Extreme and Time Capsule models (note the Apple devices have 3, not 4 LAN ports), etc.

Contributor
jba95

B;

Thanks for the response. I already have an older Linksys 4-port router/wireless device, I suppose I could press that back in service.

It really sucks that I have to jump through all of these hoops just so that my home netowrk can be functional!!!!!

J.

Contributor
jba95

[ Edited ]

Hello all;

I am still chasing down this networking issue with my new ARRIS TG862GCT from Comcast. The current direction is to contact Comcast and ask them to switch the modem to 'bridge' mode.

I am considering this, but I wanted to ask another question. When I first made the switch, Comcast provided me with a similar AIO modem, which worked well with my network. The wireless worked fine, and all of the PC's on my wired network had no communication problems.

When it was necessary for Comcast to swap the modem a second time (because the first modem network ports went kaput), I was given this new ARRIS model.

So I am wondering if I can call Comcast and ask them to replace the modem with the older model (?).

I actually have the work order receipt, if I could figure out how to decipher it, I could figure out the original modem model no.

This is becoming an extensive problem now that I need to resolve. It is beginnig to look like I am going to need to make an investment in additional hardware. So if this is my only option, I will have to take the plunge and do so.

Thanks in advance for the responses/pointers.

J.

Networking Expert
Baric

I don't how how to be any plainer.  Get a decent router, which you always used to have to do yourself before Comcast offered these bogus gateways, and get the gateway bridged.  5 minutes later you are up and running with no isssues.  Why keep messing around here?  Yes, the gateways are deplorable and Comcast should be ashamed for pushing them on customers, but there's not much you can do about it other than complain.  If you want things to work and work well, get your own router and bridge the gateway.

If you try to replace the gateway with some other gateway, you are going to have the same types of issues, or other issues.  At present Comcast has 3 gateways that I know of, the SMC SMCD3GNV which has severe wireless issues, the Arris TG852 and the Arris TG862.  All have problems, all run the same crippled firmware with missing features and port forwarding issues.  All exhibit wireless problems of one sort or another.  One is NOT better than another here, they all are junk.  As basic cable modem/EMTA's they seem to work well, but the routing and wireless functions are abysmal and should not be used unless you have no other choice.

As for an additional investment, all I can say is you get what you pay for.  Comcast provides these awful devices at no extra charge and now they control  your home network.  Anyone who allows that deserves everything they get.  Your home netowrk is YOUR responsibility and you should not allow some 3rd party to take control of it unless you are really sure they know what they are doing and have your best interests front and center.  Nobody can say that about Comcast, in spite of advertisements to the contrary. 

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

jba95 wrote:

This is becoming an extensive problem now that I need to resolve. It is beginnig to look like I am going to need to make an investment in additional hardware. So if this is my only option, I will have to take the plunge and do so.

Thanks in advance for the responses/pointers.

J.

With all due respect, simply follow Baric's sound advice and you will no longer have an extensive problem!

Wireless gateways are not an ideal solution - period, regardless of model. I don't so much blame Comcast: Everyone and their brother wants wireless, and they want it "easy", I fully understand why Comcast wants to deliver an easy solution...it just does not work very well.

I do not recommend using an older 11g class router if you have service at the performance or blast tiers, might as well get a decent, current router such as the Linksys EA2700 or better.

Get the gateway bridged, it will work fine as an eMTA modem, hook up your router (btw, no, you will no longer utilize the TG862's ports, use the router's ports), and you will have a working stable network!

Contributor
jba95

[ Edited ]

Oh alright :smileyplain:

I get the advice that all have given, I just need to take the plunge here and follow your directions.

To recap:

1. Modem into bridge mode.
  2. Use (1) network port off the back of the modem to connect to a wireless router.
  3. Set up network as before.

Thanks for the help, gotta make the phone call and run over to BestBuy!

J.

Recognized Contributor
Jcato77

This took all of about 30 seconds to fix all the problems I was having with my new service.  The new box was NAT'ing my network when I already had a network setup behind this box.  Quick and painless at least for me the wife on the other had was upset until now.

New Visitor
2characterslong

I am really disappointed comcast gave me this modem and their technical support did not know how to help me with it. She said she was going ot ask someone for help and put me on hold,.. um I mean she hung up on me.

New Visitor
2characterslong

Does ATT use the same  modems?

New Visitor
2characterslong

why does there need to be a forum? we pay for the service shouldn"t comcast be the one to answer our questions? Why do we need a forum to find out from some other poor soul that had to waste hours of their day trying to get their service to work correctly. I think I am just done with this company. 

Connection Expert
EG

2characterslong wrote:

Does ATT use the same  modems?

Nope. AT&T is DSL tech. CC is DOCSIS based cable.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

2characterslong wrote:

why does there need to be a forum? we pay for the service shouldn"t comcast be the one to answer our questions? Why do we need a forum to find out from some other poor soul that had to waste hours of their day trying to get their service to work correctly. I think I am just done with this company. 

Isn't some form of shared and legit information better than none at all ? Would you prefer being in a country like Iran ?

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

2characterslong wrote:

There does not "need" to be a forum, and you are not forced into using one, you can always call Comcast customer service.

The whole point in having a forum is that often regular old customers may have uniques insight and experience in things that other customers are going through, and may be willing to share that experience.

No ISP has fool-proof customer service!  Their first goal is to provide CS at the lowest possible cost not unlike every other tech related business such as computer and router manufacturers and yes, ISPs.

In a perfect world, all customer service personnel would be highly trained, experienced folks...but then your cost for customer service would sky-rocket, because experts have a funny habbit of not working "cheap".

I left AT&T dsl after more than 10 years to switch to Comcast.  I can assure you, AT&T support is not one whit less frustrating...and from what I hear from other ISP customers, it is not much different elsewhere.

I have run into some top-flight Comcast CS folks...and some not so well informed.  That is why we have user forums...

Connection Expert
EG

Well said !

Connection Expert
EG