New Visitor

Host name and Domain name?

After installing wireless network adapters on several computers, I always receive the message "Connected to access point, but the internet could not be found" (using the Linksys G Speed Booster router and Linksys B and G USB network adapters). I believe this is happening because I did not enter a Host Name and Domain Name during router setup. Can anyone provide me with these two pieces of information (it says to ask your ISP for this information), or provide any other possible solutions? Thanks
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Host name and Domain name?

It does not matter what those fields are. Comcast does not use them and ignores their contents. Whatever problm you are having is elsewhere.

Is the router setup to use an automatic DHCP connection?

What does "ipconfig /all" say on each system? If not ipconfig capable, what does "winipcfg" say?

Are your router and cable modem close to each other? If so separate them by as much space as possible ideally 3 or more feet.
New Visitor

Yes, the router is set up for a DHCP connection.

What information should I include from ipconfig?

I moved the modem and router to about 2 feet apart. Do you think this really might be the reason? If so, I can move them further by unplugging and moving some things around, but only if you think it would make a difference.

Thanks
Networking Expert
Baric

Anonymous said:
What information should I include from ipconfig?

All of it. ;-)

I moved the modem and router to about 2 feet apart. Do you think this really might be the reason? If so, I can move them further by unplugging and moving some things around, but only if you think it would make a difference.

It's a common problem and if it affecting you, then I'd put at least 3 fett between then, much more doesn't seem to make any difference, but this is going to depend very heavily on individual components.