New Visitor

How Do I find my WEP key/disable it?

[ Edited ]
How Do I find my WEP key/disable it? I'm a windows user, and I cannot figure out how. Please help.

By the way, I use the Linksys Comcast router.

Message Edited by rsommers on 08-07-2006 05:24 PM

Connection Expert
EG

Re: How Do I find my WEP key/disable it?

[ Edited ]
Because you have used the name "Comcast" along with the brand name "Linksys", I'm going to A-S-S-ume that you have the 'Comcast Home Networking' package ?

If you do, you may have to, and probably should, get this information from them, because you are probably paying them for this type of support.

Message Edited by EG on 08-07-2006 09:28 PM

New Visitor

Comcast usually takes 60 minutes before I can even get someone on the phone, maybe someone could help me here?
Networking Expert
kevj

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Turning off WEP is not really a good idea, unless you are turning ON WPA or doing some specific troubleshooting. The only way to get your WEP key is to have access to the router, and if Comcast didn't leave you a password, then they are the only place you will be able to get any help, short of resetting the router (which, in the case of a Comcast Home Networking setup, is probably inadvisable).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Networking Expert
Baric

I'm with the others here, call Comcast.  that's what you're paying them for.  If that's not working as well as it should, then do yourself a favor and ditch the Home Networking service and get your own router and be in complete control.

If you are bound and determined to get this yourself, get the default gateway address from your "ipconfig /all" output, and point your browser at that IP address.  The default login userid is "Comcast" and the default password is "1234".  If they were changed during installation (which is good security practice), then you'll have to dig it up if the tech gave them to you, or call Comcast to get it or have it reset.

Once  you have the gateway's config pages in front of you, simply go to the wireless security page and read the WEP keys right off the page.  I don't have exact instructions because this device as it comes from Comcast has a custom firmware and the web pages it provides are different than the normal Linksys ones.

Most Valued Poster
whiz983

If you're turing off WEP to turn on WAP that's a good idea. WEP can be broken in under 2 minutes by someone that knows what they're doing. I would suggest that you stop paying for Comcast HN and just set it up yourself with a linksys router and be in control - changing WAP keys every so often. But if you must pay for that service be very sure they set you up on WAP keys.
Connection Expert
EG

WPA ?? :smileywink:
Security Expert
CajunTek

EG wrote:
WPA ?? :smileywink:

I like WAP better.. When it don't work right.. Just WAP it!!!! :smileywink: :smileydevil:
TANSTAAFL!!

Connection Expert
EG

Alwight CT :smileywink:

LOL !! :smileygrin: