Regular Contributor
CS2010

How do I change SSID of Xfinity Dory modem/router?

I can log in to modem settings but there is nothing about changing the SSID name.

Also, my Roku player will not work - it keeps saying "check internet connection" even when "signal strength is excellent"   the roku is connected by wifi and i'm wondering also how to change SSID to broadcast to see if that will help it

Connection Expert
EG
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: How do I change SSID of Xfinity Dory modem/router?

Xfinity Wireless Gateway User Guide

You want page 17 to change the SSID and other wireless settings.

As for the Roku, make sure the firewall setting is no higher than Typical, which works for most people.  If still having a problem, add the Roku's IP address as a Trusted device (page 32) to bypass any parental or access controls you have setup.

If it is still a problem, get rid of the gateway, replace it with a separate cable modem and wireless router.  These all-in-one combo devices are bad news on many levels.

Regular Contributor
CS2010

I figured out how to change SSID of the Xfinity Dory modem/router.  But now I have a new problem.

My Roku XR no longer works because according to Roku customer service, I need to assign 2 DNS numbers to the player. But since Comcast technicians foisted this Xfinity combo Dory modem/router on me,. when I try to call customer service, they want to refer me to "Signature Service" reps who charge for their time since it is a "home network" issue. The fact is, Comcast technicians removed my original Linksys Model WRT54GS setup to get my internet working...even though I never asked them to.  So I guess if I want Roku to work, I have to get rid of their Xfinity modem/router.  Meanwhile, to get a visit from Comcast techs for this I am ALSO  EXPECTED  to pay since again, it is a "home network:" issue....how do I get through to Comcast to help me assign 2 dns numbers to the router they are making me use??

Regular Contributor
CS2010

[ Edited ]

The firewall setting is already on Typical.  Is a DNS number the same as an IP address? I input the Roku MAC address as an allowed device in Xfinity modem settings,  but Roku still can't connect to the network.  

Is there any way to assign DNS numbers of the Xfinity Combo modem/router without going through Comcast's "home networking help" line?  How can I get Comcast to replace my original modem/router without paying when they have no record of installing it in the first place?  Their CS reps have no connections or lines of communications with their Comcast field techs.   

Networking Expert
Baric

You have to take what the reps (either Roku or Comcast) say with a grain of salt, they are VERY often wrong.  That said, I do not hav ea roku so I'can say one way or the other.  But as far as DNS servers go,  your gateway is assigned an IP address lease using a system called DHCP.  Along with this IP address comes a few other pieces of information, like DNS server addresses your computers will use translate hostnames and domains to real IP addressed.  You get TWO of there in most situation, but if your gateway has been "customized", I would recommend you go in and verify that the it does indeed have two DNS server (typically 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76).  If you do NOT have those values (see your connection status), then I suggest your call the techs at 800-363-2416, they can likely you get your straightened out.  These guys are WAY better then your typical Comcast phone rep and they deal specifically with the Comcast gateways.