New Visitor
celeiter

How do I change the name of my network and password to my wireless internet?

Since the Comcast installation, the name of my wireless internet and password have become a cumbersome task to remember and type in. The name and password of my internet were assigned to me, and I want to change them. How do I go about changing the name of my network and password?

Recognized Contributor

Re: How do I change the name of my network and password to my wireless internet?

You will need to login to your modem. Assuming a Comcast supplied Arris modem, type in 10.0.0.1 as the address in your browser. This will bring up the modem login screen, the default user is admin, the default password is password. When logged in, go to the WiFi section, change the SSID and network key, and save. Oh, and while you are there, change the default modem password. If you have a different modem, things will be somewhat different.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: How do I change the name of my network and password to my wireless internet?

Blue_Two is on the money. (Good Answer)  Just to add, you might want to Log in to the Device using aWired connection.  Many devices are set to  block Admin Access via a Wireless Connection to prevent hackers from around the neighborhood from hacking your wireless router. 

New Visitor
htokarz

[ Edited ]

This was great to change my password!  Using 'admin' as user name and 'password' as the password, I've successfully changed password.  NOW, however, I can't get back to the modem to update the network name.  Do you happen to know a work around for this?  Thanks!

Recognized Contributor
ventogt

You must have done something screwy to the gateway if you can't get back in using the 10.0.0.1 and "admin" and "password" for the login.

Make sure you are hardwired into the gateway and try again, otherwise you'll have to reset and start over from the beginning.  As a previous poster mentioned, changing the SSID and other features will be on the Wifi section of the menu.