Contributor
cnelson3228
Accepted Solution

How do I hook up a 2nd computer in another room?

I want to know how to hook up a 2nd computer in another room? Is there a adapter that we can connect 2 Ethernet lines into? Can I purchase one?

Do I need another modem?

Thanks for any  help! :smileylaugh:

Connection Expert
EG

Re: How do I hook up a 2nd computer in another room?

Do you have a router or gateway device, or just a plain cable modem ?

Contributor
cnelson3228

I have the modem that Comcast sent me. For phone and internet

Connection Expert
EG

What is its exact make and model number ?

Contributor
cnelson3228

The modem? I assume is what your talking about?

It is a Arris

Model number :  TM722G / CT

Connection Expert
EG

O/k, so as I asked before, do you have a router ? If not, that's what you need. The router gets connected to the Arris modem and then you can either run an ethernet cord to the other room or use a wireless connection to it if the other machine has a wireless adapter.

Contributor
cnelson3228

Sorry....a little tech disabled here....

Yes I have a wireless router...so do I hook it up to the modem using a telephone line then hook up the extra ethernet line to the router and to the computer.?

The ethernet line coming in is already connected to the modem, but I have another ethernet line that I ran into the other room when I used to have another computer that was connected to the router.

Connection Expert
EG

cnelson3228 wrote:

Sorry....a little tech disabled here....

Yes I have a wireless router...so do I hook it up to the modem using a telephone line then hook up the extra ethernet line to the router and to the computer.?

You use an "ethernet" cord (cat 5e or cat 6) , not a telephone cord. The cord goes from the single port on the modem to the WAN /  internet port on the router. If you are going to use wireless then there is no need to use or run another ethernet cord to that room.

The ethernet line coming in is already connected to the modem,

By the above, I'm assuming that you mean the coax cable line coming in which supplies your service from Comcast ? If that's what you mean then it is irrelevant to this and just remains the way it is.

but I have another ethernet line that I ran into the other room when I used to have another computer that was connected to the router.

As I stated, if you are going to use wireless then this ethernet cable is not needed. One thing you will need to do is to reset the Arris modem when you connect your wireless router to it. There is a recessed reset button on the rear. You'll need something like a bent paper clip or a pen tip. Depress and hold in the recessed reset button on the rear until you see the front panel indicator lights begin to cycle, then release. Now give the Arris the time it needs to re-sync.

Contributor
cnelson3228

the computer that I am buying doesn't have wireless ...so I will need to use the ethernet line... but this laptop has wireless...so maybe it doesn't need the ethernet cord hooked up to it?

Contributor
Garatron

laptop does not need a cord. Desktop you can either buy a wireless card or a usb adapter, to go wireless also, but if it permits, a wired connection is better because it avoids interferance problems and has a higher overall through put

Connection Expert
EG

cnelson3228 wrote:

the computer that I am buying doesn't have wireless ...so I will need to use the ethernet line...

Oakie doakie then.

but this laptop has wireless...so maybe it doesn't need the ethernet cord hooked up to it?

That's up to you to decide. If you are going to use the wireless capability of the laptop, then no, you don't need the ethernet cord. Or you could just hook the laptop up to one of the wired LAN ports (they are usually in a group of four) on the router in place of having the laptop hardwired directly to the Arris modem anymore.

Contributor
cnelson3228

Maybe I am not understanding...

I used to have a computer in one room...and another one in another room that I had a ethernet line running into the 2nd room.

One is a wireless laptop...one is a desktop computer that does not have wireless built in...so it needs the ethernet line to run to it in the other room.

This one I am on is a laptop with wireless...but when I disconnected the ethernet line it doesn't connect.

So I am thinking if they make a double ethernet connector I would be ok...maybe I just need to check out  Ace Hardware store...or Radio shack...I know what I think I need...what your suggesting isn't working...

Regular Contributor
oMellow

If your desktop doesn't have a gigabit ethernet (1000) I would highly suggest buying a wireless adapter maybe from linksys or an equal. It will improve the overall performance of your network and will not limit your connection. I had people tell me that a 10/100 ethernet would be fine for my extreme 50 service but it limited my speed to 30mbps. Once I put in that wireless adapter I got 60mbps. In short, it will give you what your paying for.

Connection Expert
EG

Do you have any of the wireless security feature/s enabled on the router ? Wireless password ? If so, the security key / password must be configured in to the laptop's wireless settings and they must match exactly.

If the laptop is going to be used near the router and you don't need it to be portable then just wire it to one of the unused LAN ports on the router so you won't have to be bothered with all this wireless security stuff.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

oMellow wrote:

If your desktop doesn't have a gigabit ethernet (1000) I would highly suggest buying a wireless adapter maybe from linksys or an equal. It will improve the overall performance of your network and will not limit your connection. I had people tell me that a 10/100 ethernet would be fine for my extreme 50 service but it limited my speed to 30mbps. Once I put in that wireless adapter I got 60mbps. In short, it will give you what your paying for.

I can appreciate your contribution of help here but aren't things complicated enough right now for this poster. Perhaps it would be better to iron out the basics right now ?

Contributor
Garatron

go to the available wireless networks option and find your network. The default is usually the name of the router. The ssid name and default password should be physicaly on the router somewhere. Put in the password and have auto connect checked and you wont have to log in again unless you make changes to the ssid and or password

Contributor
cnelson3228

I unhooked the ethernet cord from this wireless and it wouldn't connect to the router...:smileyshocked: so it needs the ethernet cord connected to it I guess...

If they don't make a double connector that I can plug two ethernet cords into, then I guess we can only use one computer at a time...cause I am clueless at this point.

Connection Expert
EG

You don't need anything else like a double connector. That's why the router has four LAN ports. Just hook up both computers to it with the ethernet cables.

Contributor
Garatron

[ Edited ]

would not connect as in seeing the network but rejecting the password? There is an option to turn of the wirless function in routers. Personally I would reset the router to defaults then go from there. I just couldnt accept that the wireless wont work even though it should. Brand name and models would help sort this much easier.

Connection Expert
EG

How are you making out there bud ??

Contributor
cnelson3228

My wireless router only has one Ethernet connector....not 4... It has 4 telephone lines and one for Ethernet.

Contributor
cnelson3228

:catvery-happy:

I get my computer in about a week then will be back for help getting it hooked up :womanlol:

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

cnelson3228 wrote:

My wireless router only has one Ethernet connector....not 4... It has 4 telephone lines and one for Ethernet.

What is the exact make and model number of the device that YOU are calling your wireless router ?