New Visitor

How do I hook up another desktop

I'm buying a second computer this weekend for my bedroom. We have our family computer hooked up in another room. What do I need to hook up a second desktop a router? When you run to comps off the connection does it slow it up much? Also does comcast charge extra to have another computer hooked up or is it the same monthly payment I already pay. Also is there a certain brand you reccomend so I can havea faster connection? The family comp has a toshiba(the one included when you get comcast internet) and we have a brand new comp, and it seems like my connection could be quicker.
Most Valued Poster
DrDUH

Re: How do I hook up another desktop

> I'm buying a second computer this weekend for my
> bedroom. We have our family computer hooked up in
> another room. What do I need to hook up a second
> desktop a router? When you run to comps off the
> connection does it slow it up much? Also does comcast
> charge extra to have another computer hooked up or is
> it the same monthly payment I already pay. Also is
> there a certain brand you reccomend so I can havea
> faster connection? The family comp has a toshiba(the
> one included when you get comcast internet) and we
> have a brand new comp, and it seems like my
> connection could be quicker.

Do it yourself
Get a wireless router - the one I've seen recommended here most often is...
Quoting Baric --
"I'd recommend a Linksys WRT54G. If you need to buy a wireless adapter, make sure they are also Linksys. Always try to match adapters and routers from the same manufacturer, it cuts down on "strange" problems. You can get one for about $60."

Comcast does not charge extra, and it's not likely to slow anything noticable unless you're trying to stream movie downloads simultaneously.

The set-up procedure is to power everything down then power-up, in this order, the cable modem let the lights show connection's ok, the wireless router, then the PC's.

Don't forget to check security settings, etc. (see Linksys manual)
Most Valued Poster

to setup a network as well, try my comcast tutorial here: http://home.comcast.net/~fegul
Visitor

This is a great tutorial up to the point where you enable file sharing.. i've read where this is potentially a bad thing...opening up your entire network to security holes..
cant you use netbeui to do the same thing...just a question
Networking Expert
Baric

It's not a security hole on Comcast because Comcast does not transmit NetBIOS packets over its network.

The overly paranoid try to make out that NetBEUI is the answer, but in fact it makes no difference at all.
Most Valued Poster

File sharing is one of the prime reasons people network their computers. say you have to access a document you saved on another computer, its easier just to navigate to that computer's directory than go to it and copy it to a floppy. If done properly, It's not a security risk. You can protect your PC with a user name and password if you so wish. If networking was such a security risk, I doubt large companies would do it.
Most Valued Poster
jw50

The only real security risk on a network is unprotected shares, password protecting your shared drives, folders, files (whatever you are sharing over the network) will provide sufficent security to protect you on your internal network. Firewalls, either a hardware firewall in a router or software firewalls on your computers, will provide adequate protection on the external network.

This assumes that you keep your OS's up to date with the latest security patches and keep your anti-virus program up to date and do not open executable e-mail attachments or download and execute questionable programs from the internet.