New Visitor

How do I move my modem to another room?

I was wondering if I could move my comcast modem into another room with only an existing cable connection without any extra hardware needed and then move it back into the original room. I was wondering because I want to access xbox live i another room.
Service Expert
Bartleby

Re: How do I move my modem to another room?

It may work, but it depends on how the place is cabled.  If multiple splitters are involved to get the cable where the xbox is, then you may have signal issues there.  But you don't need any additional hardware to try it.

Power cycle all equipment, whenever you change the device that the modem is connected to.

New Visitor

What is power cycling? Also the only thing I have in the other room is my cable/dvr box.
Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Bob....

Power cycling is simply powering down your modem/router for 30-60 seconds.....then powering back up.

This clears the CPE tables and lets the modem "see" the new device.

Good luck!

Message Edited by dsanbo on 12-27-2008 11:01 AM
Recognized Contributor
titusmckieus

I realize your trying to get xbox live in another room without spending any extra money, but investing in a Wireless Gaming Router would be the way to go.
Email Expert

I think it would be tricky to move the modem to a different room WITHOUT power cycling it.
Recognized Contributor
AlisMan

Barmar wrote:
I think it would be tricky to move the modem to a different room WITHOUT power cycling it.

Unless the modem contained a back up battery and he took less than 8 hours to move it between rooms.

Connection Expert
EG

AlisMan wrote:

Unless the modem contained a back up battery and he took less than 8 hours to move it between rooms.

It may indeed be a telephony type modem such as an Arris.

Email Expert

Even if it's a telephony modem he'll have to unplug it to move it to a different room. 

If it's a telephony modem then you ALSO have to press the Reset button, since power cycling doesn't turn it off.

Regular Problem Solver

I could move my modem to a different room without unplugging it, provided I move my UPS along with it. :smileymischief: