New Visitor

How many devices can you have?

We have wifi at home and recently added four new devices (xmas presents). Does Comcast limit the number of IP addresses that are available on a home account or is it something to do with our router. We have a linksys. We have 8-9 devices accessing our home network. Sometimes one can't connect until we re-boot the router. Then a different device will get booted off. Just wondering where to start - comcast or upgrade router?
Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Re: How many devices can you have?

You get one IP from Comcast.  Your router can supply up to 254 address.  You need to start your troubleshooting at your router.  Make sure it is on the latest firmware and that you installed it correctly, power cycled it and reconfigure from scratch.  Make sure all your wireless adapters cards are fully upgraded also by going to the manufacturers site for upgrades.  What router model number do you have?

Bronze Star Contributor
kraze1994

I have three desktops, three laptops and 5 smart phones all connected via a router. There is no limit but you can run in to problems of overloading your connection. 

New Visitor

Thanks for the info. I'll start at the router!
Connection Expert
EG

Check if there are any limitations in the DHCP range.

Connection Expert
EG

kraze1994 wrote:

There is no limit but you can run in to problems of overloading your connection. 

FWIW, there definitly is a DHCP range "limit", but it is rather high.....

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any router can support up to 254 additional devices. Actually 255 devices but 1 IP is reserved for the router itself.

Double check that the DHCP is not limited to x number of addresses. I've seen some limit theirs to 5 ip addresses only. This is usually an option set within the router itself and can be adjusted.

If this is not the problem you might want to check to see if there is a firmware update for the router.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Phill2 wrote:

Double check that the DHCP is not limited to x number of addresses. I've seen some limit theirs to 5 ip addresses only. This is usually an option set within the router itself and can be adjusted.

FWIW, that is typically with a Comcast supplied router or gateway device that has a customized *crippled* Comcast firmware load installed.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am running up to 15 devices at any time but it is rare that all devices are under a load.  I use high end routers and switches, with high throughputs, and have had no performance issues at all.  I highly recommend the Asus RT-N56U router if you plan to upgrade--outperforms my old Cisco business class router.  

Contributor
martyscholes

I have 44 devices on my subnet.  My router is a Linksys WRT160N running DD-WRT.  Everything works fine.

Recognized Contributor
doombrother

I used a Linksys WRT350n DD-WRT firmware for years. Attached to it were 2 gigabit switches 2 Linksys WAP610 wireless access points. all of this was used for 4 desktops, 4 laptops, 5 PS3s, 2 kindles, 2 tablets, a network printer a netgear network storage device and a wii. Never an issue til the router died. Went out and bought a Linksys E4200v2 ((mistake on my part...  tho the v2 is a beefier router than the v1, the performance levels are actually signigantly lower. Add to that the V2 has a marvell chip set and not a broadcom so there is no chance for any kind of DD-WRT support in the future)) and still no issues.

New Visitor
Karld

Is there any truth about Comcast limiting to 5 the number of Wi-Fi connections one can make to any router connected to the Comcast cable modem? 

Thanks,

Karl

Connection Expert
EG

Please re-read this thread. Not if you own the straight router and it isn't a combo gateway device.

New Visitor
rawb44

Actually I am having the same problem.  After 5 devices are connected - no more can be added.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Can't say for certain but I have read things to this effect in the past.

Year and a half old thread now closed.