Networking Expert
Baric

How to Connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Mac OS X

[ Edited ]

How to Connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Mac OS X

If you have secured your wireless router according to the How to Secure a Wireless Router post in this forum, then these instructions will get your Mac talking to it in no time.

1. Click on the Wireless icon in the menubar and select Join Other Network...

2. Provide the router's SSID for Network Name, the router's configured security type for Security, and the Password.  If your password is long and/or complicated (like it should be), checking Show password can make entering it easier. Then press the Join button.

3. As long as the SSID, security, and password match up, you will join the network and the wireless icon in the menubar will show your signal strength.

It's that simple. The above was done on Mac OS X 10.5.5, but other versions are essentially the same.

Message Edited by Baric on 11-08-2008 02:47 PM
Message Edited by Baric on 11-25-2008 12:13 PM
Contributor

Re: How to Connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Mac OS X

We have a Apple router, Airport Extreme, with 2 Mac PC's and one HP PC working off the Apple router.  Are the instructions for securing our network the same as in your instructions.  The router is currently working but it is not secured.   Thanks.  
Networking Expert
Baric

I don't have an Airport Extreme, but all wireless routers share the same basic controls for security, so yes, you follow the same basic steps.  What will be different is the actual interface.  Apple provides a Airport Admin utility (Applications -> Utilities, I think) that you use to modify the settings on your router.
New Visitor

teach me
Email Expert

poccon, you're going to have to a more specific questions, or tell us what you're having trouble doing.
Connection Expert
EG

poccon wrote:
teach me

Read here ?! :smileywink:
Networking Expert
Baric

poccon wrote:
teach me

Class starts Monday morning at 9:00am, sharp.  Bring your laptop and we'll dive right into Linux Kernel Scheduling.

Seriously, what would you like us to teach you?  If you want to know how to connect your Mac to a secured router, just read the top post.  If there's something you don't understand or you're having a problem, please be more specific. 

Connection Expert
EG
New Visitor
callingit

Hi guys,

do I have to 'join' the WiFi I have created on my IMac in order to establish a WiFi connection, per your above instructions?

to be clear, I am using Airport Extreme and have created my own, new WiFi network but cannot establish the WiFi connection.  According to Apple support, the IP address established by the WiFi is a self-assigned IP, and I need to provide the hardwire ID # of the Airport router to Comcast so it can establish a permanent IP address and then the Wifi connection will be created. 

Is this true, or do i have to 'join' my own network as you describe above?

thanks for the help.  

Connection Expert
EG

Split out in to its own separate thread / topic here on this board. Click on the above link to follow it.