Networking Expert
Baric

How to Connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Windows Vista

[ Edited ]
How to Connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Windows Vista

If you have secured your wireless router according to the How to Secure a Wireless Router post in this forum, then these instructions will get your Windows Vista system talking to it in no time.

1. Install your wireless adapter.  The device should have come with simple hardware and driver installation instructions.  

2. Click on Start -> Connect To.

3. The Connect to a network window displays. Listed here are all the wireless networks your computer currently knows about, or can see in the immediate vicinity.  If you have configured your router NOT to broadcast, then it will not show up here, which is one reason I recommend turning off broadcasting.

4. Click on the Set up a connection or network link towards the bottom of the window.

5. Under the Choose a connection option, select Manually connect to a wireless network.  Then press the Next button.

6. The Manually connect to a wireless network window displays.  Here we will provide the specific security information you chose when you set up your router:  

1. For Network name, type in your router's SSID.  
  2. For Security type, select WPA2-Personal.  If your router was configured using something else, select it here.  In any case, it must match the setting on the router.
  3. For Encryption type, select AES.  If you are using WPA Personal above, make sure you're not using TKIP, it has been partially cracked, so I highly recommend AES here.  If you selected WPA2-Personal above, AES is your only choice here.
  4. For the Security key/Passphrase, enter the shared key you chose on the router.  If the key is long (and for good security it should be), you can check the Display characters option so you can see what you're typing.
  5. Check both Start this connection automatically and Connect even if the network is not broadcasting.
  6. Then press the Next button.

7.  You should get the confirmation window "Successfully added <SSID>".  Click on the Connect to... link.

8. The original Connect to a network window should reappear, and your router should now be listed as the top item with a status of Connected.  Press either Cancel or close the window.

And you're done.
08-Nov-2008 Checked encryption type to AES since TKIP has been compromised.
Message Edited by Baric on 11-08-2008 03:19 PM
Connection Expert
EG

Re: How to connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Windows Vista

This has my vote to be a sticky topic !
Email Expert
CCCarole

Baric- Great work!!  Love that you even included pictures!!   Definitely should be a stickie!  

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Security Expert
CajunTek

I agree... and it should be stickied.. I even hit the report abuse button and then...... Said it wasn't and asked the mods to sticky it..
TANSTAAFL!!

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]
Great post!

Check the url format to your pictures. I think you used the old style url of the form http://username.home.comcast.net rather than the form http://home.comcast.net/~username. So the images may stop working at some point in the future.

But I agree the post should be a sticky.

Message Edited by FishMan on 03-02-2008 06:34 PM
Networking Expert
Baric

Yep, I always use http://baric.home.comcast.net/... I hadn't heard that it was going away, you know something I don't? :smileylaugh:
Bronze Problem Solver

Baric wrote:
Yep, I always use http://baric.home.comcast.net/... I hadn't heard that it was going away, you know something I don't? :smileylaugh:

You are probably right. I was working from this post:
Networking Expert
Baric

It's worth asking, thanks for pointing it out.  I'll ask our illustrious mods over in the PWP forum which is the preferred URL format...
Most Valued Poster
BluegrassMan

Outstanding post! Mods, please sticky! :smileyhappy:
Firefox 3
Visitor

it took me awhile to get my router to work with my wireless computer (in security level) until I read this post....Although some settings are different locations due to mine being a belkin it is finally up and running in total invisible secure mode.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!!!! YOU ROCK DUDE!!!!!!

New Visitor

I was on the phone with belkin all day and they could not fix this problem. Your fix did it in ten minutes. Thanks
Networking Expert
Baric

I'm glad it was helpful.
Contributor

Thanks for the great post and illustrations...I have already done these steps no less than 10x....i have checked and rechecked passcodes etc., and no luck. I have deleted and reinstalled the connection to no avail....I am about to give up but it's my mom's computer and she needs it to work.  Any other suggestions??  I'm pretty desperate at this point, thanks :smileysad:
Regular Visitor
johnhoffman99

If you are connecting manually to a network you may want to make sure the ssid is an exact match to what is in the router. SSID are case and character sensitive.
Security Expert
CWH803

Re: How to Connect to a Secured Wireless Router - Windows Vista

Recognized Contributor

Any chance of updating wireless connection info for windows 7.

Thanx

Visitor

need wirelessrouter  to get wireless connection

Email Expert

See https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/default.cspx for information on getting a wireless router from Comcast.

New Visitor
M_Alaynick

I am trying to connect a CISCO Linksys wireless adapter to my new Entel pentium enspiron Dell laptop  I have loaded the disk that goes with it and run the setup--but it won't connect.  It keeps asking for a key????

New Visitor
M_Alaynick

I am using a windows 7 Dell Laptop and trying to connect to my comcast cable router.  It wont connect

Networking Expert
Baric

M_Alaynick wrote:

I am trying to connect a CISCO Linksys wireless adapter to my new Entel pentium enspiron Dell laptop  I have loaded the disk that goes with it and run the setup--but it won't connect.  It keeps asking for a key????

Why are you adding a wireless adapter to your Dell laptop, doesn't it have one already?  You say new, but

Pentium chips have not been used in a long time, certainly not in any current systems.

That aside, it sounds like you are being prompted for the wireless key.  Is you router setup ti use WEP (which is such a BAD idea)?  If so, provide the WEP key configured in your router to connect the laptop.  But if you are using WEP, I highly recommned to get rid of it immediately and switch to WPA or better yet WPA2 if your router and adapter support it.  WEP was compromised long ago and is easily bypassed.

Networking Expert
Baric

M_Alaynick wrote:

I am using a windows 7 Dell Laptop and trying to connect to my comcast cable router.  It wont connect

I assume this is simply a followon post to yout previous message?  If so, then please only post a question once.  Since this thread is about Windows Vista, I suggest you start your own discussion and give full details about your computer, your router, how the router is setup, make and model, etc.

New Visitor
KelliABQ

Probably a dumb question, but this will be the first time I've set anything up on this computer.

I have a desktop computer running Windows 7, accessing the internet through a Comcast cable modem. I have in front of me a box with a new WRT54G-TM Linksys Router. 

Before I go nuts tearing cables loose and installing this router, can you tell me if I'm correct in the steps that I need to take?

1. Use the HOW TO SECURE A WIRELESS ROUTER page and hook up router, set security.

2. Use this page,  HOW TO CONNECT A SECURED WIRELESS ROUTER - WINDOWS VISTA for the rest of it.

Don't want to screw anything up without being able to fix it, ha.

Thanks! 

Kelli

Networking Expert
Baric

Pretty much.  The posts don't cover actual physical cabling and such, your router should have come with instructions for that.  The only thing you should make sure you do that might not be mentioned in those instructions is after you disconnect your computer from the cable modem but before you connect up the router, make sure you power cycle the cable modem (ie. remove the power cord for about 15 seconds or so and then plug it back in and let it stabalize).  If the modem is used with Xfinity Voice (ie. it has phone jacks for your voice phones), then use the Reset button on the back instead since simply pulling the power cord will NOT reset the EMTA, it has an internal battery in case of power outages.

Setup instructions that come with routers these days are much better than they used to be and they talk you through wireless security instead of leaving to the user.

New Visitor
KelliABQ

Baric, TYVM!  I sure do appreciate your step by step illustrated instructions in this thread.  I'll be back if I mess something up. Have a terrific day! 

Networking Expert
Baric

Good luck ;-)

Connection Expert
EG