New Visitor

How to Home network

I need help!

I just got comcast internet but dont know how to home network it. I have a linksys router. I know there is a way to home network with out having to order it or buy more ip address but dont know the settings i need to use.
The router i have has AOL settings from my previous ISP.

PLEASE HELP
Bronze Star Contributor

Re: How to Home network

Just set the router up to obtain an IP by DHCP. After doing so power cycle your modem. Then power cyle the router so it pulls an IP from the modem.
New Visitor

mrx I tried that but it didnt work either. because the firmware for the linksys router is made for aol.
Recognized Contributor
johnd

I dont understand that. Are you not able to change the router settings? Have you set up

The router:

1) To Obtain an IP Address Automatically
2) Disable PPPOE or RAS
3) Enabled DHCP

Your Computers to:

1) To Obtain an IP Address Automatically
New Visitor

were do you go to change the computer to Obain ip auto. By the way the computers have win xp
Recognized Contributor
johnd

Bob,

Do the folowing:

1) Bring up the Control Panel
2) Dbl-click on "Network Connections"
3) There should be a line showing "Local Area Connection". Right click on that and click on "Properties".
4) In the "General" tab, click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click on the Properties button. You should now see the selections for obtaining an address.
5) You should have "Obtain an IP adrress automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server address automatically" selected.
New Visitor

THank u
New Visitor

and by the way that didnt help. instead all i had. to do is press the reset butoon
Regular Contributor

That's because JohnD can't read.

Open IE and enter one of these IP addresses into the ADDRESS field:
192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.0.1

One of these should bring up a password prompt. Since you are clueless about this, we can assume you never changed the password here, so ***LEAVE THE USERNAME BLANK, AND ENTER "ADMIN" AS THE PASSWORD.

That takes you to the router's config. Navigate it like a website and make the changes suggested above by a previous reply. *Not the one by JohnD*
New Visitor

Bob,
With the Linksys router go into the advanced setting of the router and clone the MAC address of your primary computer. This will make the router look like the computer. Now simply plug in the additional computers to the router and you should have no problems.
Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

> Bob,
> With the Linksys router go into the advanced
> nced setting of the router and clone the MAC address
> of your primary computer. This will make the router
> look like the computer. Now simply plug in the
> additional computers to the router and you should
> have no problems.

Just as an fyi...I found that when I cloned the mac address of my pc's adapter, it assigned my lan a different subnet mask than the wan, and I also couldn't access certain areas in Comcast, like the Live Chat Help or the Comcast Support pages. When I didn't clone the mac, the wan & lan subnets were the same and I could then access those areas. I also noticed, by recreating the scenario, that I was assigned a totally different ip address with each configuration. Even though comcast uses DHCP, I had always gotten the same ip. When I didn't clone the mac, the "full access" ip address was different. When I did clone the mac, I got the exact same address as I had previously, the one that didn't access all areas.

Hope this helps.

MGP
New Visitor

Hey Tman1,

Your not very nice. Leave John D. alone. he is just trying to help.
New Visitor

Hey Tman1,

Your not very nice. leave John D alone. He is only trying to help.
New Visitor

I am puzzled by how this Comcast network addressing works - maybe someone can help me. My primary machine is a Windows Server 2003 system, and the Comcast CD won't install (it gives an error saying OS is wrong). So I installed on my XP laptop, went through registration etc, and got it all working. Then I took the network cable from my laptop and plugged it into the NIC in my Windows Server 2003 box, and did an ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew. It would not get an address from the DHCP server. Replug in the laptop, do the same, and it gets an address. So something other than pure DHCP is going on here. Any explanation/help really appreciated.

Thanks.
Regular Contributor

You need to power cycle the cable modem when you change the machine you connect it to.