Networking Expert
Baric

Re: ctRe: How to Secure a Wireless Router

[ Edited ]

jnorth601 wrote:

I ordered a wireless modem a few weeks ago and haven't recieved it yet. I have called all the numbers and everyone direct me back to here. What is the problem.? Is there a live person any where that will talk to me htat knows where or why my FREE wireless router has not come. I have been very displease with the service I have recieved so far with this program xfinity.

We are customers just like you, we can't help you with that kind of information, you have to talk directly to Comcast.   Personally, I think you should just go buy one and be done with it.

Contributor
daveghrol

@jnorth601 just call  in and ask for the sik infromation should be a ups tracxking nubmer that the rep can check for you at the time of call

New Visitor
skuhn1204

Re: How to Secure a Wireless Router

I can't turn wireless off from 10 PM to 5 AM the router does not allow me to, so your "manual comment" still does not help me thank you! I have children who won't sleep if wireless internet is available. I could control this with my previous router the Netgear N300. The Arris router does not do this. What do I do now?

Networking Expert
Baric

skuhn1204 wrote:

I can't turn wireless off from 10 PM to 5 AM the router does not allow me to, so your "manual comment" still does not help me thank you! I have children who won't sleep if wireless internet is available. I could control this with my previous router the Netgear N300. The Arris router does not do this. What do I do now?

What router do you have exactly?  These instructions are specifically for the Linksys WRT54G which was a widely used router at the time.  Almost all modern routers have the same types of control restrictions, but since you don't say what router you ahve, I can't be more specific.

If you mean the Arris TG852G-CT Xfinity Wireless Gateway, then consult the manual, page 31. Add Blocked Service. amd block everything.  Or page 32 for Managed Devices to do it on a system by system basis. Etc.

New Visitor
jsachnet

[ Edited ]

Here is what you should do when you get a new wifi router:

1. Upgrade to the latest firmware for your router and read the release notes for the changes!

2. Change the default username/password to at least 8 characters to include numbers/letters/and special characters such as "@" and "$". 

3. Change the default SSID name from the vendor specific to a minimum of 16 characters to include letters/numbers/special characters. The SSID is actually used in the hashing(encryption) of your wireless data. The longer and more complex the SSID is the more difficult it is to brute force the network key. There are websites out there that store the hash values for default SSIDs for every major brand of wireless routers which makes it easier to brute force the key.

4. Disable WPS, WPS is the system that allows you to press a button on some routers and just enter the code on the bottom of it in your computer to gain access to the network. The problem here is that WPS is easily brute forced. On average many routers can be compromised in around 3 to 4 hours.  Some routers actually do not disable WPS when you check the box to do so and remain vulnerable to attack. 

5. Assign static IPs to your devices and disable the routers DHCP server. 

6.If possible, create access rules based on ip/mac address to only allow the computers/devices you have given static IPs to, to have network access. The default is to allow everything out and only block the incoming. You can block both in and out to be more secure.

7. Use a private DNS server such as Open DNS. Not only is it unethical for your isp to hijack your dns results but who knows what they are doing with your query info. 

8. Set wireless encryption to at a minimum WPA 2 personnel TKIP. The best option is currently WPA 2 Personnel AES. If possible, use WPA 2 Personnel AES. Some routers and wifi cards do not support it. If your client only supports WEP you are open to attack. The average time to break a WEP key is under 10 minutes. 

The following are only annoyances to those that want to break into your wifi and will not and I repeat WILL NOT offer you any protection against those that want to break in.

9. Disable SSID Broadcast. This will prevent your network from showing up in a network list. But will not stop wifi scanners from seeing your network. 

10. Enable MAC filtering. This will only allow the mac addresses of those devices which you list to access the wifi. The problem here is that the person(s) breaking into your wifi can spoof their devices mac address to match one that is on your wifi already. This just keeps the script kiddies out.

11. Change your wireless key at a minimum once a month. Once your key has been comprimised, it may be shared for others to use your connection without your knowledge. 

12. Disable Upnp

13. Disable remote access

14. Disable Automatic updates(Cisco/Linksys routers). Cisco recently pushed out updates that forced users into a cloud based management for their App Enabled routers. This service is insecure as everything is sent plaint text and leaves your router open to attack. 

15. Disable access to the routers management interface from wireless, unless all you have is wireless devices. If possible, create a access rule to to only allow 1 ip address to access the web management for the router.

16. Go through every page of your routers web interface and disable services you do not need.

17. un plug the router when your not home or not using it. The only secure network is the one not connected to any computers.....

New Visitor
Jonean

I need instructions on how to access security key for my wireless connection for Windows  XP

Contributor

Sorry, but there was 0, not a thing, not even a maybe, similar to the Home Page of my Belkin F9K1102 v2 in the first two steps of the example/explaination taged to this reply.  I had high hopes but ,,,,

New Visitor
KathyKladar

NO ROUTER MANUAL has been supplied from ComCast to go with the router they installed for my internet service.  I cannot find a brand name or model number on the Xfinity router.  I'd love to have such instructions but you would have to tell me where to find them, and even how to find out what kind of router I have.

New Visitor
KathyKladar

How do I find my router's home page?  I want to set up parental time controls to shut down the router overnight to keep my son offline when he should be sleeping.

Trust me, I WOULD LOVE TO CONSULT DOCUMENTATION---but nothing was provided to me from Comcast or Xfinity.  Just the router alone.  There is not even a brand name on the device.  No instructions.  Not one single document except an Xfinity 4-page brochure which does not even mention that there is a homepage or any settings for the router, much less how to access or change them.

None of the hyperlinks in this paragraph work except "this" and " your router's home page"

Router Configuration
To change these router options, we're going to be using the WRT54G's Web based Setup pages. Most routers have a tiny built-in webserver you can just point your favorite browser at, login, and make whatever changes you need. On my router, I simply use http://192.168.1.1 (which is just the router's LAN side IP address). This is pretty standard on most Linksys routers. Other manufacturers might use http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.2.1, or http://10.0.0.1, for example. Consult your pesky documentation for what you should use on your router. Once connected, you should be presented with a login dialog that looks similar to Router Configuration
To change these router options, we're going to be using the WRT54G's Web based Setup pages. Most routers have a tiny built-in webserver you can just point your favorite browser at, login, and make whatever changes you need. On my router, I simply use http://192.168.1.1 (which is just the router's LAN side IP address). This is pretty standard on most Linksys routers. Other manufacturers might use http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.2.1, or http://10.0.0.1, for example. Consult your pesky documentation for what you should use on your router. Once connected, you should be presented with a login dialog that looks similar to this. Enter the router's administration password and press OK. The default password on Linksys routers is usually "admin" with no userid. You should then see your router's home page. Take a few minutes, poke around and familiarize yourself with the way your router's website works and where the various pages and options are. One important thing to note with Linksys routers, once you make a change to an option, be VERY CERTAIN to click on Save Settings at the bottom of the page or you will never actually turn that option on. So anywhere I say change an option, remember to hit Save before you continue to another page or the change will be lost. Enter the router's administration password and press OK. The default password on Linksys routers is usually "admin" with no userid. You should then see your router's home page. Take a few minutes, poke around and familiarize yourself with the way your router's website works and where the various pages and options are. One important thing to note with Linksys routers, once you make a change to an option, be VERY CERTAIN to click on Save Settings at the bottom of the page or you will never actually turn that option on. So anywhere I say change an option, remember to hit Save before you continue to another page or the change will be lost.

Networking Expert
Baric

If you are using a Comcast supplied Xfinity Gateway, then there is a sticker on it that has all the access details.  By default, the gateway sits at http://10.0.0.1.  If that doesn't work, then either you are using some other gateway or the default address has been changed.  In any case, this thread is VERY SPECIFIC, it's about using a Linksys WRT54G and the example sare ALL about that particular model.  It was written many years ago, long before Comcast came up with their crappy gateways.

The link to the User Guide for the Comcast Xfinity Wireless Gateways is:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811....

New Visitor
DimNull

If you buy a router, in the long run, you will save money as they do charge a rental fee. You should find a web site that will walk you through it, and the instructions that come with the new ones are pretty good. Of course I do not know at what level your understanding is, but you can set one up without security quite easily. That is only if you are far from anyone else. In almost, if not all, you should set it up with security. Most Routers have an option for the router to set it up, just use a flash drive to, once you have your first computer set up, to take everything you need (information) to your next computer, and so forth, etc.

Connection Expert
EG

DimNull wrote:

If you buy a router, in the long run, you will save money as they do charge a rental fee.

FWIW, they no longer supply straight routers but they do lease combo modem / router gateway devices. NOT RECOMMENDED AT THIS TIME !!! THEY ARE GARBAGE !!!

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

My gateway modem works just fine but I had to change a couple of settings on it for the connection to be stable. For the average consumer though it would be bad, so I don't necessarily recommend it either if you already have a good router to use.

Connection Expert
EG

Standard spiel;

Just look around the forums and you'll see that there are boatloads of issues with the current crop of CC supplied gateways !!

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

Contributor
iamhesh

On the best modem, Cox, which I have in AZ winter home, does not rent, you go out and buy it and its easy- At Target, Walmart, office Max, Best buy etc.

I wish Comcasy did the same.

Regular Visitor
itsjackieoh

[ Edited ]

your link to the gateway manual is what I needed, thank you!

Contributor
tribjim

[ Edited ]

Until the last couple weeks I ran the shields up program from this site.

GRCPort Authority

https://www.grc.com/default.htm

and it would always come up stealth on my ports.  Now ports 80, 23, and 443 are listed as closed

I wonder what changed on my router or Comcast.  I checked other sites and I get the same result.

I have my SMCD3GNV router firewall set at Maximum Security (High)

I also would like to know if there is a way to set Wireless MAC filtering on my  SMC SMCD3GNV router

Regular Contributor

Please note thaat Win 8.1 with MSIE 11 will not allow you to enter the gateway. You require FireFox or other browser.

Peter

Regular Contributor

I miss my Belkin but the tech brought a gateway instead of a modem by the house.

I loved that little router.