New Visitor

Re: How to Secure a Wireless Router

Well guys/gals,

As the forum member "Early Out" stated before in his/her post to me, I am not allowed to post anymore unless I am sanctioned by those in charge here. And then I must as Early out also stated, Sport the Comcast Logo. There are currently enough moderators to assist you guys and they are doing a fine job. Please continue to support them and your fellow forum members

I owe Early Out an apology and I publicy do so now. Early Out you were 100% right and I was 100% wrong. Please dont hold my ignorance of this policy against me. I'm sorry!I wish everyone good luck and GodSpeed!

William
Contributor

> Im a bit late to this but here goes.
>
> Great post. Very Informative. Agree with most of the
> tips and a few I have some concerns with.
>
>
> First, your Comcast technician cannot be 100%
> 0% educated on every piece of equipment you may link
> to your wireless router. We do our best and attempt
> to provide you with the best service possible.
> Understand that when something goes wrong and you are
> forced to call "Customer Support", chances are, (and
> these are great chances) you wont be talking to
> someone who has installed any of the services we
> provide. These are people generally who generally
> been involved with customer support or phone support
> operations at some other job and chose to join our
> team.
>
> They mostly are there to listen to your complaint
> t and get the right guy/gal out to your home as soon
> as possible. They may or may not attempt to resolve
> your issues over the phone with the usual, "Unplug
> for ten seconds", or I'm sending a converter hit now,
> or "Release IP, Refresh IP etc etc etc. We are not
> trained in XBOX wireless setups, Playstation setups
> or any other. We bring the best possible forward
> signal to your home and attempt to ensure you have
> the best possbile return path.
>
> This wireless guide is but one of many ways you can
> HELP YOURSELF and at the very least, have a good
> headstart on things should a ComTech have to be
> dispatched to your home. As Baric said, he couldnt
> possibly post a guide for every single piece of
> equipment out there. So is it fair to expect that
> $9.50 per hour technician to know every single
> equipment combination out there. Sorry, we dont. Some
> of us do. But we are the guys/gals you will speak
> with on the phone when things go screwy.
>
> Lastly, we realize you pay hard earned money for the
> e services you ordered and you expect us to provide
> those without excuses. We recognize and welcome the
> challenge, but understand that when our day is filled
> with driving 10-30 miles just to change batteries in
> a remote control, or change the channel of a TV to
> channel 4, its kind of hard to fulfill that promise
> of prompt customer service to those of you who seek
> out and use these guides in an attempt to help
> yourself. For every one of you who demands prompt
> service and reliable tech support, there are 50 of
> you who wont even change the batteries in their
> digital box remote control or ensure that their "Xp
> network connection" is enabled.
>
> Great guide, sorry for the long wind. But we as a
> a whole do care about your service. I take great
> pride in driving away from a Irrate customers home
> and they are securely surfing the net or recieving
> the video programming they pay for.
>
>
> William
> Tech 526

great post, William - I'm sort of a novice-intermediate but I know enough to know that not everybody knows everything - and I get real tired of folks who constantly bitch in their posts at people who are just trying to do the best they can under limited circumstances. It continues to amaze me that people expect the rep who picks up the call to be the best tech in the world!!

It's so difficult to diagnose and fix stuff over the phone - I think most of us have experienced that when we get a call from the spouse saying "Honey, the computer won't work!"

Jack
Connection Expert
EG

>> am not allowed to post anymore unless I am sanctioned by those in charge here

That's too bad Bill, seems that your input here could have been beneficial to these forums.

Best of luck to you!
Networking Expert
Baric

That's a shame, William. Sorry to hear you won't be able to post. I think Comcast is continuing to make a mistake in this area. I do think our current moderators are doing a fine job, but there are only 2 we see with any regularity and they could definitely use some help, especially in the Connection forum. And just because someone is a Comcast employee, doesn't mean they have to be a moderator, as long as they can provide technical assistance like the rest of us, that should be sufficient.
Recognized Contributor

> I owe Early Out an apology and I publicy do so now.
> Early Out you were 100% right and I was 100% wrong.
> Please dont hold my ignorance of this policy against
> me. I'm sorry!

No problem at all - it's a policy that most Comcast employees aren't aware of until they bump into it head-on. Very sorry to see you go - knowledgeable posters are tough to come by, and you'd have been a valuable addition.
Contributor

We have a WindowsXP desktop (with USB wireless adapter)and an older Windows98SE laptop (with a PCM-CIA card in a slot) on our home wireless network.

At present we have WEP (128 bit) enabled. I've heard that WPA is more secure, and I have a couple of questions.

Why is WPA more secure?

Can we implement WPA on the Windows98SE laptop or are we stuck with WEP?
Bronze Star Contributor

Wow... Thank you so much for taking the time to write out these wonderfully helpful instructions/hints/pieces of advice. I was able to set up my wireless router and follow your very reader-friendly post to secure it with no problems. Thanks again from a wi-fi newbie who really appreciates the guidance. :smileyhappy:
New Visitor

Thanks, Baric for your wonderfully detailed instructions. They are most appreciated!
New Visitor

There are a few other items I did on my WRT54G as well to minimize intrusion.

- Default IP range changed
- All computers assigned static IP
- Max DHCP assigns set to zero.
New Visitor

I'm not that smart about this stuff,
So my question is why is my network unsecure..
I have a Belkin router...I have read some of the replys
and just dont understand
Connection Expert
EG

Does the router have wireless capability?
New Visitor

yes my husband bought it together.
We have 3 computer set up....
I remember giving it a key name and password.
I have noticed that I can pick up my neighbors
network connection but its secure...
Im just stupid about this stuff
Thanks
Jknee2
Connection Expert
EG

>>So my question is why is my network unsecure..

>>I remember giving it a key name and password

You say that you have set up a key and a password, so what makes you think that your home network is unsecured? Just because you can see your neighbors Wireless Access Points (Routers), does not mean that they can access your network if you indeed have the security activated, or vice versa, if they have theirs activated.

Are you using a WEP key, or WPA? If you are using WEP, I would recommend that you switch to WPA (that is, if your router and wireless network card support it), it is much more secure than WEP.
New Visitor

when i view my wireless connections it says
its an unsecured network...
Connection Expert
EG

Well then I guess that you were unsuccessful with activating your security after all. Did the router not come with a manual or a C.D. with this setup information on it?
New Visitor

I thought that I remembered reading that you should do this on a wireless connection. Am I remembering this right?

Also, my desktop won't reconginze the WRT router because of a Vonage router that is connected from the computer. If I am suppose to use the desktop to secure the network...is there a way around it?

I want to say thank you for explaining all of this. The first post is very imformative. And even though the router comes with a manual...you helped explain why certain things need to be come....Thank you!!
Networking Expert
Baric

I recommend NOT using a wireless connection to make these changes as the changes themselves will make the router unavailable until you have your client system properly configured as well. you can do it if you stay away frow the disable wireless config option and you make one change at a time in both places in pure lockstep. Personally, I feel it's just easier and faster to do it from a wired connnection to the router itself. YMMV.

Hmmm... multiple routers can make for interesting and frustrating troubleshooting sessions unless you are VERY careful and configure things properly. The default configs will generally NOT work well in a two router setup, but I can't give you exact instructions without knowing exactly what you have and how it's all connected. The way around your problem is to directly connect the configuring PC to the wireless router in question with an ethernet cable. Take out the middleman, so to speak.
New Visitor

great post baric...

i have an hp with built in wireless lan (802.11g) and linksys router model WRT54GC...

i was able to connect the motorola modem, router and desktop with cables...works fine...able to get online.

but unable to set up the desktop to connect to the router via wireless. i believe i got the proper config on the router.

my desktop can detect the wireless connection. but i can't connect to it. how can i set up the desktop via wireless?

please advice.
Networking Expert
Baric

What is your OS? How do you have your wireless client software configured? How is the router configured?

EDIT: Let's move this to your other thread, it's not a good idea to make the same post in multiple threads, things get too confusing.
New Visitor

how/where do I get the Network Key?
Email Expert

Hey, how do the volunteers feel about intentionally ignoring posters who ignore our recommendations? Specifically, Let's move this to your other thread
New Visitor

Thanks Baric. Your hints worked great. Here is a link to a pretty good 9 page discussion on wireless.
http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/Wireless-Security.pdf
Connection Expert
EG

>>Hey, how do the volunteers feel about intentionally ignoring posters who ignore our recommendations? Specifically, Let's move this to your other thread

I strongly agree.
Security Expert
CWH803

Not only that but I 'd like to see requests for assistance posted into the Sticky" topics split off to a new, independent, and re-"subjected" thread unique to the poster.

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Bronze Problem Solver

> Not only that but I 'd like to see requests for
> assistance posted into the Sticky" topics split off
> to a new, independent, and re-"subjected" thread
> unique to the poster.

Excellent idea!
Most Valued Poster
Magician

Baric, I can't believe I forgot to thank you back in December when I set up my wireless router.

This article was my saving grace, and everything worked and continue to works perfectly. My Mac performs just fine working with the Linksys router, and so does my PC connected via ethernet.

When I first got mine though, I'm sure you can remember I had some issues. It was, thankfully, all software related. Linksys fixed the problem with a firmware upgrade.

Anyhow, thanks again Baric. Thanks a bunch! :smileylaugh:
Mag :smileyhappy:
--------------------
Networking Expert
Baric

Sure thing. I woudn't have seen it anyway, I was not around the forums then.
New Visitor

Baric:

I've followed your instructions and the desktop runs like a top. but.....my laptop needs help. How shall I set it up? It ran fine before I fine tuned my desktop. I cannot now connect to the internet at all on the laptop. Using Linksys wireless router WKPC54G.
New Visitor

Thanks for the terrific help on securing my wireless router. The destop is secured. How about my laptop? I can't connect now to the internet. Any advice I'd be grateful for the help. I have a Linksys Wireless router WKPC54G.

Fuzzycuz
Networking Expert
Baric

I'd suggest you start a new thread and give us much detail as you can. The WKPC54G is very similar to the WRT54G, so the setup should be VERY similar. Tell us all about the setup on the router, tell us about the laptop (brand, hardware being used, OS), give is ipconfig /all output, tell us what wireless client you are using, and how it's configured.
New Visitor
New Visitor

This message is about "thanks" to you all! This extensive post and topic bumped up "my" router knowledge base (as not owning router yet). I send everyone I know to the Forums area. I love them myself! They help provide technical answers, relieve frustrations and offer useful and "additional" support to customers that perhaps agents or the website may not have available. I'm hooked! Yes the website is great however limited whereas the Forums may be the extra support received her. Forums ROCK. Thanks for sharing freely!

c.
Bronze Star Contributor
reddragon64

When I try and go on my webserver. I put in the default password and it doesn't open. I never opened the page before. So I don't know the username. Please help
Recognized Contributor

> When I try and go on my webserver. I put in the
> default password and it doesn't open. I never opened
> the page before. So I don't know the username. Please
> help

And this has to do with securing a wireless router how, exactly?
Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

I think the person is referring to this in the very first post in this thread:

"To change these router options, we're going to be using the WRT54G's Web based Setup pages. Most routers have a tiny built-in webserver you can just point your favorite browser at, login, and make whatever changes you need. On my router, I simply use http://192.168.1.1 (which is just the router's LAN side IP address). This is pretty standard on most Linksys routers. Other manufacturers might use http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.2.1, for example. Consult your pesky documentation for what you should use on your router. ...."

All I can say is what is said above: consult the documentation for your router for the correct address, name and password. If you no longer have the actual manual, maybe go to the manufacturer's website to find an online copy.
Recognized Contributor

> I think the person is referring to this in the very
> first post in this thread:

Ah, yes, I believe you're correct. Yup, it's time to RTFM.
New Visitor

Just adding my note of thanks for this great topic. I had never set up any router, much less a wireless one, and these instructions helped so much! It only took a few minutes to go through all this and I'm already up and running.

No internet stealing happening over here! :smileyhappy:
New Visitor

Lately I have been receiving a message at my sign in log that states "someone else is on your computer". This is my home office computer that is the only one hard wired into cable/internet. However , I do have a wireless router for a laptop that I only use late at night & is never on during these messages. Does this mean that someone is accessing my internet, or able to tap directly into my computer?
Networking Expert
Baric

You should start your own thread, I see no direct connection between your question and how to secure a wireless router.

In your new thread, post the EXACT message (includign any buttons and message box title), your OS, define "at my sign in log" (I don't know what you are saying exactly), what router and is it secured wirelessly (and how), anything else that you think might be connected.
Visitor

I finnally got it in print of how to link up my MAC (apple) wirelessly, after talking to technical assistance everyday for a week.  Hopefully I can now walk myself through this problem, of losing the internet connection everytime the comuter is turned off
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]
Are you asking for assitance here?  I don't fully understant your post, I've had a REAL long week.  If you need assistance, please post back with specifcs, and it would be best to start your own Home Networking thread.

Message Edited by Baric on 07-22-2006 10:41 PM

Email Expert

[ Edited ]

Helpmep, please be more careful with your abbreviations.  "MAC" means Media Access Control, and mostly comes up when referring to MAC addresses -- the 12-hex-digit addresses used by Ethernet and 802.11 wireless networks.  The short name for Apple Macintosh is "Mac".  While it's normally not hard to tell which one someone means from context, this is a networking forum so everyone is going to assume MAC refers to the first definition.

I don't know why so many people like to abbreviate Macintosh as "MAC" -- it's not an acronym, it's just the first syllable of the word.

Message Edited by Barmar on 07-24-2006 11:29 AM

Contributor

I'd like to offer a slightly different point of view for a moment. While I understand the need for security, and the desire to protect one's network, it can be argued that not every person needs all the high-security settings done all the time.

For instance, in my own network, I've implemented maybe only 3/4 of the changes recommended here, because maintaining things like MAC filtering and using WPA just aren't practical (a few of my older devices don't understand WPA). The plus is that the topology of my property allows me some wiggle room with regard to wireless. I live in a neighborhood where homes aren't right on top of each other, and I have my router set fairly low (on the first floor), so I don't think I get a huge amount of transmission beyond my property border. For someone to get into my network, they would have to park relatively close to my house, and they would have to take a few minutes to break in...and by then, I'd probably notice them sitting there.

Anyway, my point is that while all the points given in this thread are good, there are a lot of things to consider, and sometimes it's possible to take the "good enough" approach without having to implement every last suggestion.

Networking Expert
Baric

You make a good point.  But it's much better to know about the security options and consciously decide to not implement them for your own reasons than to be unaware of the security settings in the first place, don't you agree?  I'm not saying EVERYONE should blindly follow every step, that's why I explain each option and what it's useful for.  If you have no need of that option, then don't use it.  Everyone has their own needs and only they know what they are.  I'm simply trying to make folks aware of what's there and how to use them and why.  I'm a firm believer in "Knowledge is Power".
Visitor

Can you enable both WEP and WPA for an added layer of security?
Recognized Contributor

kdogg wrote:
Can you enable both WEP and WPA for an added layer of security?

No.
Regular Contributor

I had this problem before and used this TUT and I want to resecure my router ,change pass word etc but this link is not coming up http://192.168.2.1 it brings up page cannot be found.My computer is windows xp hp pavilion.Thanks!
Connection Expert
EG

Regular Contributor

Ok I went through all the set up but one computer isnt connecting.I had to set it at WEP as the other setting never worked.My computer which has the router etc works fine and another works fine but the other doesnt.Any ideas?
Most Valued Poster
BluegrassMan

Others know more about this than me, but I suspect the one computer will only work with WEP encryption because the wireless card in it does not support WPA.
Firefox 3
Most Valued Poster
JimandJunie

Baric---Just letting you know that your words of wisdom are still being read---thanks...also thanks for keeping them here until I found them :smileyhappy: