Visitor

How to change SSID name and Network Key

I just upgrade to the Comcast Wireless Gateway and did a standard install. However, I would like to change the SSID from HOME-xxxx to something else and also change the Wireless Password (Network Key).

Is it possible to do this?

New Visitor
Longrl58

Re: How to change SSID name and Network Key

I too just installed a new modem/router with wireless support. I cannot find anywhere in the literature or on line HOW to change my Network Name and Network Key for the newest equipment? The model they sent me is not listed on the help pages.

Does anybody know? I've tried to call and can't get to tech support. Thanks for your help. Roger

Contributor

I can't believe that changing the SSID and network key is not an option. I've searched the entire wireless gateway tool (http://10.0.0.1), and the ability to change the name and password for wireless is just not there. Help at Comcast says you can do it, but the dialog boxes they show don't exist on my version.

New Arris TG862G modem, router, wireless gateway

Anyone gotten this to work?

Contributor

Well, that's weird. I got a reply that said basically "don't let anyone know your password", but the reply was deleted. Granted, it wasn't helpful, but to delete it? Sort of feeds any conspiracy theories one might have. Now I'm wondering why Comcast wants to control my SSID and network key? What good does it do them to know that? They can see what's going on in my account anyway. The reason I want to change it is to make it something a little shorter and less difficult. The network key is huge!

Official Employee

You should be able to change it but there's always a chance it will revert to original if a firmware update is done
Connection Expert
EG

andrew.lindsay wrote:
You should be able to change it but there's always a chance it will revert to original if a firmware update is done

Or if you ever need to reset it back to factory defaults using the reset button on the rear.

Contributor

Thanks, Andrew. I agree that I should be able to change it, but where? Do you have this modem? I cannot find any way to change either the SSID or the network key. I have looked in all of the options. I am considering a new modem and router so that I can change them. I believe that's my only solution. Sort of creeps me out, plus the network key is ridiculously long. I don't feel like hauling out the documentation and spending five minutes dictating the key every time I have a guest over who would like to use my wifi.

Official Employee

After you get into the modem go to connection then wifi on the right side you'll see edit and click it change what you want and click save and done
Regular Contributor
itdoesntmatter

[ Edited ]

I found this user guide when I was looking for the answer to this question to see if it could be done.  I hope it's relevant.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811....

Bottom of page 11 though page 13. 

Love your Firewall Comcast. 

Contributor

OK, I got it changed! I swear that I looked at every single option, but today I found it. The manual was somewhat helpful, except they don't tell you where to find the settings. It's in Connection, Wifi. This is not a surprise, and I think I would have looked there, but well, who knows. It's there now. Clicking on Connection expands some sub menus, and Wifi is in there.

Thanks, folks. Got a nice, secure network name and key that I will actually be able to type.

New Visitor
JeffVeryFrustra

I just had my 2nd Arris TG862 modem/router unit installed yesterday by the Comcast install tech. Experiencing the intermittency and blackouts that all have reported in the other threads.

The install tech informed me that 'I should not change my Wifi settings because the Comcast engineers have determined that that change causes the modem firmware to get corrupted and will cause intermittent modem connections'. I had changed my wifi ssid/pswrd on my first modem.

What??? This is like your cell phone company saying 'here is your new voicemail box but do not change the pswd from the factory setting 1111' !!! Are you kidding me.

I called Comcast tech support to confirm and FINALLY getting to the escellation dept. they wanted to charge me $39 to get 2nd level support and $15 ongoing /mo. to help me change the ssid/pswd!!!

Is this one of those Comcast scams!!

New Visitor
JeffVeryFrustra

Am I reading from other threads that the intermittency is actually caused by a modem firm ware update from 7.59 to 7.63 that Comcast pushed down in April 2013 ??!!!

And now are they charging to resolve any wifi issues that customers are seeing because of this firmware problem??!!

New Visitor
Shibatoru

How to change your SSID (Network Name) and network key:

1. Type in this number into your browser URL [10.0.0.1]

2. The default admin username is 'admin' and the default password is 'password'

3. After signing in, on the left side, you will see 'Gateway' with a drop down arrow. Under 'Gateway,' click the 'Connection' drop down arrow, then click on the 'WiFi' option. 

4. Here, you will be able to change your Private WiFi Network settings, by clicking the 'Edit' option on the right side.

Hope this helps, cheers.

New Visitor
JeffVeryFrustra

Yes. You should be able to change the security on your LAN and can easily on the modem web page.

However, contacted Comcast. Only way to change SSID/pswd is thru their 2nd level tech support at $39 to start and $15/mo.

BOGUS!!!

I ordered and installed a Motorola modem and Medialink wireless-N router. Problems solved. Speeds improved dramatically. Especially since the Comcast internal router is at G speeds.

Comcast is getting their crappy hardware back.

Visitor
SFSailLady2

This whole thread cracked me up.  I just went through this.  The guy was telling me I was going to be charged to change the SSID name.  That just didn't make sense to me.  Plus I had trouble understanding him.  So I told him to please speak more slowly because I was not understanding his English and he hung up on me !  Now THAT is true customer disservice.  Unbelieveable.