New Visitor

How to connect a netgear router to a cable modem?

I'm sure this has been covered so I apologize in advance. My mom has a working cable modem and a brand new Macintosh. They work happily together. Now I want to insert a netgear router between the two. This does not want to work. My assumption:
1) username and password are not needed (since they aren't when the Mac is connected directly to the modem)
What other settings should I have her supply on the router config? Is NAT mode supported or not?
Do I need to mess with the MAC address? Did the modem bind to the computer? Etc. etc.
There are only three freakin' fields I can fill out on the router so I am frustrated that this is not "just working". My DSL setup took about 3 minutes with the same gear...
Is this normal for setting up a cable modem with a router?
Thanks.
Most Valued Poster

Re: How to connect a netgear router to a cable modem?

Since you used that router for DSL in your previous network, you will need to reset the router to factory defaults before proceeding. The next step is the same for all new networks: The powercycle routine. Turn everything off – cable modem, router, mac – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup, press and hold its reset button for at least 30 seconds. After you reset the router and complete the powercycle, everything else should behave predictably. If not...post back with your issues, and someone with more knowledge than I will give you further assistance.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting