Contributor
DoctorGrumpy

How to connect comcast cable modem to my wireless modem

Just had comcast internet installed today.  They gave me an Arris TM722 cable modem.  How do I connect my old Netgear DGN2200 to it?  I still want my PS3 and XBOX's on a wired connection, but also need the wireless capabilty. Right now I only have the computer that the cable modem is hooked up to on the internet!  

If I can't connect it, is it possible to replace the box comcast gave me with another from the store?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Recognized Contributor
m1r6z

Re: How to connect comcast cable modem to my wireless modem

Just connect the ethernet cable from the modem to your router. Router will have an input to plug it into and should have multiple outputs to plug ethernet cables out to your computer and gaming systems. After you plug it all in, reset the modem and wait 10 seconds.Then reset the router and wait for a connection. Shouldn't be more than a minute or two.

Contributor
DoctorGrumpy

Thanks for the respone.  The input on my router is not an ethernet, it's a regular telephone line.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If your existing router is from a DSL connection, then it can't be used with a cable modem.  A router with ethernet port for the WAN / Internet input and the ethernet LAN outputs is what is needed.

router.JPG

Contributor
DoctorGrumpy

Ok, then I guess I'll have to upgrade my router.  Are there compatability issues I have to concern myself with or will any router with an ethernet input do?  Thank you for the response and the photo!  Very helpful!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

DoctorGrumpy wrote: ... Are there compatability issues I have to concern myself with or will any router with an ethernet input do? ...

Any router with an Ethernet WAN port will do. If your internet service is one of the faster ones (say, over 20Mbps) you might want to pick a model with gigabit Ethernet. If wireless performance is important to you, check reviews and forum comments for models you're considering.

Contributor
DoctorGrumpy

I bought a Netgear WNDR3700 and everything is working great now.  Thank you all so much for all your advice!

Connection Expert
JamesR

That's a really nice Router.
Contributor
DoctorGrumpy

Yeah, it's an awesome router! I'm getting awesome wireless reception in places of my house where there was no reception with my previous router.  And the speed compared to AT&T is mindblowing!  Was getting about 4 Mbs with AT&T, now I'm getting 26Mbs with Comcast!  Wireless before was almost useless. Comcast is giving me about 10Mbs on my iPhones and iPads and about 18Mbs on my laptops!  It's like a whole new world!!

Connection Expert
JamesR

Are you able to use the wireless N band for your Laptops? Lots of nice features on that router.