Contributor
MarkG99

How to open ports on my Xfinity SMCD3GNV wifi gateway

Hi,

I have a Xfinity SMCD3GNV wifi gateway which in turn is connected to my Airport Extreme which I use as a router. I am attempting to install a google drive application on my computer (iMac) and the guys at google have told me that I need to be able to access ports 443 and 8080. I've been unable to get any satisfaction out of the tier 1 support at comcast, and really don't feel like forking out $45 so that maybe they can help me. I have been able to access my router settings at 10.0.0.1 and have been able to navigate to Advanced > Port Forwarding. There I an add a port. I thought that I did add this setting, but when I go to canyouseeme.org it still shows that there's no access to these ports. By the way, canyouseeme.org shows my IP as something completey different, starting with 24.12..... (not sure if it's safe to post the full number here).

I would very much appreciate any support getting this task completed.

Contributor
MarkG99

Re: How to open ports on my Xfinity SMCD3GNV wifi gateway

Hi everyone.

I see that my post has been read by a whole bunch of people, but no one has responded to it. Is this not something that can be done? I'm quite desperate here as the folks at google really tried to help, but they ran short understanding comcast protocols. Help anyone???

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

Try this. Open your modem configuration with address ( 10.0.0.1 ) and log in with admin/password in the corresponding fields. Click Firewall on the left hand side and tell me what security it is being set to?

A higher level of security blocks ports 443, that I do know, so you might have to go with a custom security and unchecking that particular box.

Contributor
MarkG99

Hi, and thanks for replying!!

My firewall setting is set to low.

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

MarkG99 wrote:

Hi, and thanks for replying!!

My firewall setting is set to low.

If the Firewall was set to low, that means the wireless gateway shouldn't be blocking the ports you need. Ok read through this page about the configuration of the Airport extreme router that your using. You can access its configuration by going to 192.168.1.1 and the password field you can leave blank. Check the Airport, Internet, and Authentication tabs for anything regarding the ports you need. This is a bit of gray area for me as I've never dealt with that type of router before, so we'll start there.

http://oit.ncsu.edu/resnet/apple-airport-extreme

Contributor
MarkG99

Thank you.

When I go to 192.168.1.1, the connection times out. I tried looking through my airport utility on my mac to see the settings on the airport extreme, and I didn't see anything that was glaringly obvious. The link that you sent me seems to be PC specific. The one setting that I do see says: Router Mode. It is set to "Off (bridge mode) and the other options are DHCP and NAT, or DHCP only. Is this relevant?

I also tried googling "airport extreme open port 443" and I came up with another tech forum where someone was saying that facetime wasn't working and they wanted to open a port, and the response was "

That is not necessary. On the Airport Extreme you merely have to make sure that you have enabled 'NAT Port Mapping Protocol.' This allows software on your devices to open ports as necessary.".

I'm not sure if my issue is the same as I'm not really trying to get a device to access it, although I guess a google drive could be considered a drive. If so, they're saying it's not really necessary to open it.

Thoughts?