Regular Contributor
CS2010

I have to keep resetting my router and modem every 15 minutes

This is very frustrating as my modem and router are not near my computer, which is hardwired by ethernet cable to the router.  A comcast technician came out 3 days ago and said the problem appeared to be an "amplifier" on a pole somewhere and that he had called in a line maintenance worker to come in that afternoon and fix it.  At last! I thought...maybe I'll get a decent internet connection now...

3 Days Later:  Internet keeps going in and out.  I keep running up and down the stairs to reset my router and modem.  I called Comcast in a rage. The customer service rep says, "Oh, we sub-contracted the repair work to someone and they don't work on weekends. They should fix it on Monday." 

Why does Comcast ALWAYS ALWAYS LIE TO ME?  Their reps say one thing, they do something else. They promised me one price for bundled service - they left out the taxes and fees.  They say it's probably my router that needs to be replaced, or my ethernet cable, then the technican comes and finds out its an amplifier problem.  He promises me it'll be fixed THAT AFTERNOON.  And it's NOT.

They promise me they'll credit me for interruption of service. HA!  I always end up with one amount on my online account and another amount sent on the printed statement and if I pay the lesser amount my accounts says I still owe them money.

Everything about Comcast STINKS.. but I HAVE to use it if I want to get an internet connection, even if it's crappy and unreliable.  I made the terrible mistake of switching to their bunded service which includes phone - now my PHONE is unreliable and connectivity is inconsistent.  This service is stress-inducing and makes me physically ill to think about. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: I have to keep resetting my router and modem every 15 minutes

We need more information please:

- Post your upstream and downstream signal levels. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). You may also want to contact Comcast and ask for your upstream SNR (uSNR) and receive level.
- Post your modem’s error logs.
- Post the make and model of your modem.
- Post the make and model of your router if you have one.
- Let us know if you contacted Comcast or had a tech visit.
- Let us know what the lights on your modem are doing when you are having problems.

Regular Contributor
CS2010

I was visited by a technician last Wednesday, he promised a line maintenance worker would fix an amplifier in the vicinity that afternoon.  Come Friday, I am stilling getting frequent d/c's.  I called Comcast.  I was told Comcast subcontracts their work out and no one was available to fix it...after demanding an estimated time when they WOULD  fix it, the rep sullenly replied, "Monday."  Well, now it's Tuesday.  Still the same problems. Phone and Internet d/c'ing frequently. I call Comcast. The tech rep says he has no way to look up whether the line maintenance worker was sent out, although he has a record of times I have called. He offers to send out someone else to help me.  I scream, "I don't want someone sent out again. I want to know if the line maintenance worker has finished his work on the amplifier!" He repeats himself cluelessly.

I demand to speak to his or her superior, maybe THEY can find out.  He hangs up.

So Comcast, any help on this issue?  Every time I call for help, they send someone out, and nothing gets fixed.  Seriously??

Regular Contributor
CS2010

I am not posting any of this information as I don't know how. I guess this means I have to wait for yet another Comcast technician to visit my house, make claims that don't fix anything, over and over again.

Regular Contributor
CS2010

May 15, 2012 1:32pm Called Comcast after yet another d/c (at least 5 times this morning). And I'm wondering, did that technician from last Wednesday follow through on having a "line maintenance worker" fix the amplifier he spoke of or not?

This time, one named Gloria tells me 1) She cannot let me know if the technician who visited me last Wednesday put in a service ticket to the field office to have a line worker repair the amplifier as she has no way of accessing that information

2) She cannot find a way to put me in touch with the technician who visited me

3) She can only have a "field technician supervisor" contact me (i.e. they can know everything about me, I cannot know anything about them or how to even contact them) as there is no way for me to call them directly

Gee, thanks Comcast! Your own customer service department doesn't know what its field technicians are doing. 

New Visitor
Locarthemanbeas

I have had the same problem for about two weeks now. I was having problems with my modem so comcast told me to go get a new one. I get it hooked up and within a day my internet keeps dropping. My modem will actually reset and then come back online. It happens to me more at night then during the day but it happens and at least 10-15 times. Comcast keeps telling me that its my router but I just went out and bought a new router about 6 months ago. So I have a tech guy come out and he tells me that its prolly not my router and that if it is my modem he will swap it out for me. He goes and tells me my port to my apt is bad. It fails then passes then fails then passes. So he moves my port over to another one and tells me that should have fixed everything. Swaps the modem and then leaves. Everything works perfect for about 6 hours then blam....internet fails. That was yesterday. As of today I have lost internet 5 times and its not even 5 o'clock. The problem I have is I have never had any issue with comcast until I had to get this new modem. Even the tech guy said that its a new modem from the company and that its a Cisco product so you know its good. He tells me that its possible that comcast just didn't configure everything right when they set them up. I don't care what has to happen but I would love to not loose connection every 20 min. Comcast tech support is a joke. Every time I call they can't help me with anything but are always fast to tell me its not them its me and my router.

Regular Contributor
CS2010

Two technicians visited me on Thursday, May 17th.  The one who visited me on May 9th came back, and this time he was with a female fellow technician. They spent 2 hours wandering around my house and decided to replace my modem with a combined modem/router. Then I was charged $13 for them to install an outlet upstairs.  I was kind of annoyed since they were so relaxed they were gossiping about work in front of me as I was forced to put everything aside to follow them around my house.  The first thing I said to the technician was - was the amplifier fixed? He said, when the line techs went out to fix it, their test showed there was nothing wrong with it, so a ticket for them to fix it was never sent in.  I asked him to check if the line from house to telephone pole could be squirrel-chewed as it had been replaced as such about 7 years ago.  He said he checked it...nothing wrong.  They leave.

Two hours later - line disconnects.  I am about to call Comcast, when I look out window. A Comcast truck outside, with a hoist and bucket, and guy in the bucket changing a cable from my house to the telephone pole!  Two NEW comcast techs at my house.  They claimed they knocked but I didn't hear them.  I asked who they were. They said a call from the City (I had complained to the Office of Cable Communications in my city via email 2 days before) brought them here. They said they checked my line and it was horribly squirrel-chewed..gee..SO WHY DID THE PREVIOUS 2 TECHS NOwT MENTION IT? I told them the names of the techs who had visited me - CJ and Sarah? - and they did not know why those 2 did not see any problem with the telephone line.  And I'm thinking - Comcast is so disorganized that their own field techs don't communicate with each other, their customer service reps don't communicate with them, or each other, etc etc etc.. Whoever manages these departments...and cannot manage to set up the changes needed to make these departments share information ..and ffs THIS IS A COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY that CAN'T COMMUNICATE...needs to be fired and replaced.

Meanwhile..my internet and phone appear to be working again....FINALLY!! Now I just have to scream at billing a few times to make sure they don't screw me on that...

New Visitor

Man, what a fiasco. I am having the same problem with my internet. I'm scared to enter into this Comcast Twilight Zone.

New Visitor

Same here - 'cept not every 15 minutes but daily - internet goes out, go to the basement 'telephone closet", find a wire to reset EMTA, push in in the small hole in the bare-bulb darkness, wait 5 minutes for the reset (hope no one was ona  phone call!) and voila!  back in business.   BUT, shouldn't have to reset this thing more than once a year...

Connection Expert
EG

Signals ?

New Visitor
RockyRoad01

Did any of you ever get this problem resolved?  I'm having this same issue with the internet going out and having to reset the router constantly.  Comcast has already been out three times and replaced the router/modem twice.  All techs that have been here have not known what the problem is.  Got another one coming Saturday.  Would love to "help" this one with a possible solution!

New Visitor
music-is-luv-2

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem. Instead of every 15 minutes it's every time I load a page. My service is only 6 days old now. And only worked fine for the first day. Now every wireless device connected will drop its connection once any web page is either half way done loading or 1-2 minutes after any page loads. Then it takes about 5 minutes for it to reconnect on its own. Once reconnected it will continuously disconnect and reconnect every few minutes while on that same page. Then if I try load a new page it will drop immediately drop for 5 minutes. Has already disconnected and reconnected several times while I'm typing this.

However; my Xbox 360 which is connected via Ethernet cable NEVER EVER EVER DROPS! I don't think its matter of simply resetting it because if it was then why doesn't the Xbox disconnect like all other devices? I do suspect it is something else with the router/modem simply because the Xbox seems OK. I can log onto my router just fine with no interruptions though. Tried resetting it and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

sry it's not the same exact problem so should I post this as new topic?

New Visitor
RockyRoad01

Fingers crossed, I think this last guy fixed the problem.  They had already replaced a line outside of our house, but there was a bad cable cord coming in that he replaced.  It has not dropped since he left Saturday and it's Tuesday.  Hopefully, this issue is fixed!

New Visitor

I've had the same problem for months and I am now thinking it is the desktop computer that is physically connected to the router through ethernet cable. I unconnected it - and all my other wireless devices work fine - phones laptop etc. Obvioulsy though this computer is not able to get internet. When I reconnect it - the signal is gone forall devices within 5 minutes. So it is either something with that desktop's IP or the network card. I am not knowlegeable enought to know, but I am enough to narrow it down :smileywink:

New Visitor
LotusFlowers

I've been having the same problem since July. Thats 4 months and at least 4-5 comcast tech visits. They have replaced my modem, checked the lines to my computer, dug up my backyard and replaced the line back there. They are coming out again on Sunday. I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the neighborhood node or maybe something got chewed on by a animal, who knows. All I know is, it begins happening at primetime. 2pm on weekends, 5pm on weekdays. Today was one of the worse days and by worse days I mean, I started losing connection about 2pm every 5 to 8 minutes and didn't stop till about 11:30pm. Everytime I try to stream something to watch with my boyfriend, connection drops, have to restart video all over again. We just finally gave up after we realized we were only going to be able to watch about 5 minutes before the connection pooped and broke the stream making us have to start all over again cause it doesn't get the chance to buffer and even if it did, theres friggan commercials all over Xfinity. YAY. Worse yet, we play MMO's online when he goes home, I can't play with him because 2 minutes of playing and I disconnect even faster. I can even just be sitting with my hands in my lap, not downloading, not streaming, not touching ANYTHING and it will drop every 5 minutes, sometimes back to back to back.

I want to rip my hair out. I've had comcast for a long time, as my dad had it and he passed away and I took over all the bills. We've been loyal customers since before 2002, the net was PERFECT up until July 2012 and then all this poo started up. It's like they replaced all the awesome tech with mice on a wheel. I'd expect more for a 200.00+ bundle I'm paying every month.. oh and the phone goes out too of course, matter o fact, people generally call my cell cause the phone is so unreliable. Only thing that seems to always work is the cable for TV.

PS: Still feel like ripping my hair out.

New Visitor

I had the same problem for month too.  Still can figure it out, called comcast a few time already.  Same result.  :smileysad: