New Visitor
rcombs253

I want my Technicolor TC8305C Gateway Bridged and wireless turned off.....

I need my wireless gateway/router bridged to just be a modem/phone port... I don't need the wireless, or router.... I think it is absolutely rediculous that I can't adjust this myself, and the person on the phone was too DUMB to figure it out.... Can anybody hel point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Connection Expert
EG

Re: I want my Technicolor TC8305C Gateway Bridged and wireless turned off.....

Call the 1-800-comcast number or try contacting Comcast Larry via a forum Private Message here;

ComcastLarry: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4671561

You can also try posting to these venues to request that;

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

https://twitter.com/#!/comcastcares

Regular Contributor
Techx

The default log in should be written on the bottom of the modem, once in you can disable the wifi.

Connection Expert
EG

Can you also disable the DHCP server ?

New Visitor
BabbaBooey

[ Edited ]

No you can't disable WIFI or DHCP to put this Gateway into Bridged mode. Comcast is going to start moving away from this. get used to it. However, you can call Comcast and hopefully you can find someone that can put it in Bridged mode for you.

When they put mine in Bridged mode, it won't recognize the router and I don't have internet access....

Regular Contributor
Techx

right now the best way to use your owned router is have the comcast gateway removed and add a D3 EMTA in its place, especially if you are using an apple airport. they do not work right with the gateway.

Connection Expert
EG

Techx wrote:

especially if you are using an apple airport. they do not work right with the gateway.

FWIW, it's never a good idea to cascade two routing devices no matter what the brands / models are.

Connection Expert
EG

Techx wrote:

The default log in should be written on the bottom of the modem, once in you can disable the wifi.

I'll try again. If you know can you please reply ?

"Can you also disable the DHCP server ?"

Regular Contributor
Techx

Very true, just saying airports are good but its the last router you will be able to get to work with the gateway. 

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Unless the TC gateway device is able to be put in to bridge mode. That is why I asked you twice about also turning off the DHCP server.

Regular Contributor
Techx

it can be put in bridgemode but it doesnt seem to help. there is something going on inside you will put it in bridgemode then if by chance it does work some how it disables it again later. still alot going on with firmware on these devices, i would say right now the fastest way to avoid headache is either use the gateway or change it to just a d3 modem. 

Regular Contributor
Techx

DHCP cannot be turned off

Connection Expert
EG

Then it can never be truly bridged.

Regular Contributor
Techx

excactly thats why i say get rid of it if you want to use your own router. just looked in mine to make sure it can't be disabled.

New Visitor
rcombs253

Thanks for all the replies but the problem was fixed yesterday using Comcast live chat. It appears to be working just fine with my netgear router.
Visitor

I lost bridge mode on my Arris TG862 modem box after a power outage. Made numerous frustrating calls to Comcast tech support and messages to Comcast techs on this forum which were no help or unresponsive. Normal Comcast support said they couldn't put my box in bridge mode and kept transferring me to Signature Service which would address my problem for a fee.

I finally reached out to Chat support on the Comcast.com site and the tech put my modem back into bridge with no problems or questions.

https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, you have a different gateway device than the one that is being discussed in this topic.

New Visitor
jdugan123

i am having similar issues.  i used to have an old emta modem and was able to use my own wireless router without issues.  i was also able to connect to my work vpn without issues.  i now have the tc8305c modem/router and was not able to connect to my work vpn.  i called comcast and they bridged the router, so it is now only functioning as a modem.  if i connect my computer directly to the modem, i have internet and can access my work vpn. HOWEVER, i cannot get my own router to work with the tc8305c, so i no longer have wireless in my house for all my other devices.  i am extremely frustrated at this point and do not know what to do.  when i contact comcast, they show that the internet service is working and will not troubleshoot the router/modem connection.  do you know how they were able to get your netgear router to talk to the bridged modem??

New Visitor
Eduh

could somebody setting up a netgear router as repetier or us as a bridge with this Technicolor TC8305C?

New Visitor
Dipugee

I want to do the same and continue to use my curent Linksys E4200V2 .

Contributor
Doc_Watson

You may make the changes by accessing the gateway page.

Go to http://10.0.0.1

Default log in is – admin/password

Connection Expert
EG

Doc_Watson wrote:

You may make the changes by accessing the gateway page.

Go to http://10.0.0.1

Default log in is – admin/password

Are you certain ? AFAIK an end user can't bridge it, only CC can do it remotely from their end.

Contributor
Doc_Watson

I just got this via chat from Comcast support. I have not tried it as yet, because I am not prepared to disconnect my current network at this time. Will be trying it tomorrow.
Connection Expert
EG

Please post back with your findings, thanks.

Contributor
Doc_Watson

Glad to.

I might try connecting the TC8305 via cable to a laptop later today and see if I can go in and disable the wireless before I attempt to connect it to Comcast and my system.  Might make it easier to setup my Airport Extreme, which I've read doesn't work and play well with the TC-8305.  I'll let you know how I make out.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Be sure that the DHCP server is also disabled (if you can even do this) before using your Airport with the device otherwise you will have an undesirable *double NAT* condition on your home network by daisy chaining two routing devices. You can Google "double NAT" for more info about why it is unwanted.

Contributor
Doc_Watson

Well, no joy with the connection via the laptop and ethernet cable.  Got into the setup no problem.  But disabling the wireless is somewhat less than an obvious choice.  Research turned up the manual for the TC8305C.  Find it here.....

I need time to read it and see if it has an answer.

Contributor
Doc_Watson

The double NAT issue was what I started with when I dropped my old modem from the loop and tried to insert the new TC8305.  I've found the setting for the DHCP server, but can't figure how to disable it.  I'll need to poke around some.

Connection Expert
EG

I was aware of that link to the manual, thanks. I have not seen anything in there about the end user being able to toggle bridge mode / DHCP server but I may be missing something. I do not have this device so I can't check this myself. Perhaps there may be something under the *Advanced* tab in the Admin Tool (page 25) ? I still doubt that an end user can do this. Please let us know if you find something.

Contributor
Doc_Watson

I'm beginning to suspect that you are correct. It seems I may have been given bad advice by Comcast support, not that I'm surprised.

I will contact them by phone again tomorrow and try and resolve this with them there. If I get any information that is useful I will post back. But for now, assume that this is incorrect and you cannot change this as the user.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the feedback ! :smileyhappy:

FWIW, I've heard rumors that future firmware updates may allow end users to do this. IMNSHO, this still would not make these combo gateway devices at all desirable..

Contributor
Doc_Watson

From the bottom of Page 14 in the manual.....

If you would like to use your existing router instead of the routing functionality on your Wireless Gateway, the Bridge Mode on the Wireless Gateway will need to be enabled. A Comcast technician can do this during installation, or call 1.800.XFINITY to enable this functionality.

Combo Devices = Economy & simplicity for provider.... PITA for user. :smileysad:

I will have to call tomorrow, and see if they can setup to make the change after we disconnect our call, wait 5 minutes while I disconnect the coax from the current modem and connect it to the TC8305C. I would prefer to connect only the cable to the gateway while they do this so as not to bork my existing network setup.  I am making a large assumption that once they disable the wifi function, I can connect the AirPort Extreme via ethernet cable and  it should just work, or at most need to be switched to Bridge mode.

The chat support person wanted to send that command today, even though I explained that I was not connected using that device because I had no internet or phone when it was connected because of the dual NIC issue. :smileyshocked:

I'll post back when I have a solution.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Doc_Watson wrote:

Combo Devices = Economy & simplicity for provider.... PITA for user. :smileysad:

Yeah, I think we would all agree there. They seem to be pushing the gateways, to offer Comcast customers "wifi hotspots" too, but that's another story...LOL!

Contributor
Doc_Watson

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Awesome...! Maybe seperate from my network, not count against my cap, or interfere with my network (wireless ect:smileywink: but it operates on my electricity.....LOL!

Edit...Still not to get off topic Doc, please post back when you have things sorted out.

New Visitor
B_P_W

I just went through this process with Signature Service, so I had to pay the $79.95 fee. Technicolor Gateway has to be put into bridge mode on the Comcast side. It took a few restarts, but it worked. VPN (IPsec) is now functioning properly. This is not a customer option through the admin page, unfortunately. The tech fellow did said that it's a simple process. Were a person to call and ask for "bridge mode" it wouldn't cost anything. One or two clicks. I was redirected to Signature Service because I mentioned VPN for work and opening ports. If you avoid those business-sounding code words and just ask for bridge mode, you may be able to switch for free and keep using your own router. Good luck.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Well that's one way to do it, yes mention anything to do with networking and the rep's will try to sell sig service. However, bridging the gateway is free, there used to be a number (now out of use). I believe it was the national activation team or whatever only took 5 mins. It's pot luck with the phone reps, some know how to bridge the gateway, some don't.

If Comcast do care about customer service they should provide a dedicated number for bridging, or as EG hinted at above, give the customer the ability to do it themselves....

New Visitor
B_P_W

Update to my post....

Gave up on the Technicolor Gateway. Bridge mode worked for a short while, but consistently stopped recognizing wifi or internet connectivity. A rep reset things again this morning. While on the phone, wifi was up and running. I stepped away for about 30min, came back and the system was down again. I still had the old RCA Thompson lying around, so I reactivated that one. Gateway goes back to Comcast. Onward.

New Visitor
Robb_

The Setup and User Guide for MediaAccess TC8305C I downloaded directly from Technicolor (http://docs.technicolor.com/data/files/cm/DMS-CTC-20130228-0000.pdf) has no mention of Bridging, Comcast, Xfinity or using your own equipment.  Did you pull your manual from somewhere on Comcast's web?

I'd like to have the reference so I can point Comcast CSR or tech to the language; thanks.

Contributor
Doc_Watson

Sorry.  I should have linked to my source.  It was a Comcast publication.  You can find the quote here.

New Visitor
oschar83

This is the same problem I have and when they put the Wireless Gateway in bridge mode everything was fine BUT there are 4 ethernet ports on the back of the Wireless Gateway and only 1 will work if it's in bridge mode.  I have 2 devices other than the Airport that worked better when connected hardwired (PS3 & VOIP phone). 

I've tried putting the Airport in bridge mode while the Wireless Gateway is 'normal' but the only thing that will not work right now is my VPN to my office.

Any suggestions here other than putting the Wireless Gateway in bridge mode and getting a 4 port Apple Airport?

Contributor
Doc_Watson

I'm guessing that you're using the airport express. That would only have one or two ethernet ports in the back. I don't believe that it is the same animal as an airport extreme. One is actually a router, while the other is just a network extender , unless I misunderstand them.
Connection Expert
EG

Doc_Watson wrote:
One is actually a router, while the other is just a network extender , unless I misunderstand them.

FWIW, they all are full routers, here is a link to the differences;

http://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/

Contributor
Doc_Watson

Thanks for that.  I thought the Express was something you traveled with to increase the strength and/or range of a local WiFi (yours or public).  I stand corrected !! :smileycool:

New Visitor
noeyecolor

Background:  I've received the modem upgrade letter and followed the instructions, I did it in 9/13 and I received this Technicolor TC8305C on 11/04/13.  After doing some reading on some forums online(including this one), I started to have second thought about this upgrade, I called the Comcast office and was assured that I can return this wireless gateway and get a plain Docsis 3.0 voice and data modem from the service center. 

You will NOT believe this, I went over there today and handed them the equipment , and asked if I can get a new docisis 3.0 modem instead.

They said: is your current modem currently working? 

I said: Yes.   

They said:  then what's the fuss?  

I said: Comcast office said I can swap a docisis 3.0 one here and I need to do this to keep up with the technology.   

They rolled eyes and said:  the headquarter did not even send us any docisis 3.0 ones, all we have is the same thing as yours. I can give you the same one if you want to go thru some trouble and have some fun with the activation team. (winking eye)

I said: …..

They laughed and said:  Comcast only did this because they wanted to push this wireless gateway on clients, so far as I have heard around here, this is a piece of junk and people hated it.  We called it "trouble box" , you are one smart girl who doesn't try to install it  right away.  Ha ha ha

I said: ……

They said:  Ah, they have charged you for the old equipment, I am taking it out now

I said:  But the letter said that there would be no unreturned equipment charges

They rolled eyes again and said: you believe their letter? 

I said: …..

Visitor

The Apple Airport Extreme 4G and new 802.11ac 6th gen models work just fine cascaded to the Technicolor *ugh" Comcast wireless gateway with the caveat they the apple devices must be set up to extend the existing network rather than establish a new network.  Took me several tries before the Airport would recognize the Technicolor.  Be prepared to try several times and you will need to reset the Aiports to factory settings.  Cabling would be from port 1 on Technicolor to WAN port on Airport.  You must have a wired connection between the two devices.  In effect we are using the Airport in bridge mode (DHCP is turned off and the Airport is giving a single IP address from the Technicolor.)

If I am downstairs in our home, I connect to the Technicolor and if upstairs I connect to the Aiport.  

IMHO this business of needing to be in bridge mode is not true unless you indeed want to use the Airport to be a true router with DHCP yada yada.

Don Coleman

Visitor

A hard reset will return the device to non-bridge mode.

Connection Expert
EG

Dwcoleman wrote:

IMHO this business of needing to be in bridge mode is not true unless you indeed want to use the Airport to be a true router with DHCP yada yada.

FWIW, the CC gateway devices have a long history of various problems when they are allowed to act as NAT routers...

Contributor
Doc_Watson

And, for that matter, why would I want to go to soo much trouble to connect a device to my system that is TOTALLY unnecessary, since my exixting Airport network woks just fine ??? :smileyangry:

New Visitor
ninzanstudio

I'm waiting to chat live with a comcast rep now to request brigde mode for my new TC8305C modem. Only reason I got this new device was because we ordered a home phone line (it's been at least 10 years since I've had one). My older comcast modem was simply a modem and I'm using airport extreme base station for routing and wifi. Never had issues. Bummed that Comcast is trying to jam everything into one device.

Ran into this thread via a web search because I got my new TC modem set up as wifi station but my airport extreme will not "extend" the wifi network. I'll have to attempt bridge mode on the comast modem and keep using Airport Extreme as my wifi and router. Will keep you all posted.