New Visitor
dseomn

IPv6 prefix size and home routing

Hi,

According to Comcast's IPv6 blog, Comcast is giving residential customers IPv6 /64 prefixes. I currently have multiple subnets routed behind IPv4 NAT, and I'd like to keep those logical subnets as I transition to IPv6. Is there any chance of getting a /56 instead of a /64?

BTW, RFC 6177 recommends making it easy for end sites to get prefixes larger than /64.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Re: IPv6 prefix size and home routing

[ Edited ]

We are working on that, the block sizes we have started out with is /64.   Out of curiosity, how many networks do you have if you dont mind sharing and the router your using?  I have 4 myself in my house..

Cisco Router

Main Network

Kids Network

Voice Network

Guest Network

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
New Visitor
dseomn

Good to hear, any idea of an order-of-magnitude ETA for getting blocks larger than /64? days? months? years?

At the moment, I have a dmz for a RIPE Atlas probe and some servers and a lan for everything else. I'm considering moving the Atlas to it's own subnet though so it can't try to steal traffic from the servers with ARP or NDP. A separate guest network isn't a bad idea either.

Also, now that I think about it, I could configure my router to use a single /64 without bridging if I get creative with /128 more-specific routes on the dmz and /64 routed to the lan with radvd advertising the prefix with the on-link bit clear. It would be easier to just give each link its own /64 though.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

dseomn wrote:

Good to hear, any idea of an order-of-magnitude ETA for getting blocks larger than /64? days? months? years?

I cant answer that at this time but we are working on it..

v6 Project
New Visitor
dseomn

Oops, my brain skipped over "and the router your using." It's a Linux box.

Bronze Problem Solver

dseomn wrote:

Hi,

According to Comcast's IPv6 blog, Comcast is giving residential customers IPv6 /64 prefixes. I currently have multiple subnets routed behind IPv4 NAT, and I'd like to keep those logical subnets as I transition to IPv6. Is there any chance of getting a /56 instead of a /64?

BTW, RFC 6177 recommends making it easy for end sites to get prefixes larger than /64.

Got a pointer handy that explains the problem you're having? I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around the idea that an address space 4 billion times larger than the IPv4 address space is too small. ;-)

Networking Expert
kevj

steve-baker wrote:

dseomn wrote:

Hi,

Got a pointer handy that explains the problem you're having? I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around the idea that an address space 4 billion times larger than the IPv4 address space is too small. ;-)

It's not that it is too small, it's just that to subnet an IPv6 /64 into smaller network inside your LAN could cause problems within the IPv6 protocols. In general, the recommendation for IPv6 is never to use a subnet smaller that /64. For the vast majority of home users, that have only one subnet, this isn't a poroblem. For the ones that have multiple private subnets and NAT set up accordingly, it is. The way around it is to provide larger IPv6 subnets to home users, not becuase they need more addresses, but because they need more subnets. A /60 IPv6 allocation would provide a home user with 16 /64 IPv6 subnets...but the point to stress here is not to sweat the number of addresses. The IPv4 conservation of addresses concept can be forgotten...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Bronze Problem Solver

kevj wrote:

steve-baker wrote:

dseomn wrote:

Hi,

It's not that it is too small, it's just that to subnet an IPv6 /64 into smaller network inside your LAN could cause problems within the IPv6 protocols. In general, the recommendation for IPv6 is never to use a subnet smaller that /64. For the vast majority of home users, that have only one subnet, this isn't a poroblem. For the ones that have multiple private subnets and NAT set up accordingly, it is. The way around it is to provide larger IPv6 subnets to home users, not becuase they need more addresses, but because they need more subnets. A /60 IPv6 allocation would provide a home user with 16 /64 IPv6 subnets...but the point to stress here is not to sweat the number of addresses. The IPv4 conservation of addresses concept can be forgotten...

Is there something magical about a /64? What if Comcast assigned a /120? Would there be the same deal about a /120 vs a /112 as there is about a /64 vs a /56?

Networking Expert
kevj

steve-baker wrote:

kevj wrote:

steve-baker wrote:

dseomn wrote:

Hi,

Is there something magical about a /64? What if Comcast assigned a /120? Would there be the same deal about a /120 vs a /112 as there is about a /64 vs a /56?

Well, yes, there is, kind of....As I understand it, and anyone that knows more about IPv6 than I can feel free to correct me, the /64 network is used because, as designed, stateless autoconfiguration (SLAAC), which the IPv6 clients in your home use to generate their addresses, use 64 bits out of the 128 bit IPv6 address as the host portion, and 64 bits as the network portion. I *think* it would take having a DHCP-pd server at the edge of your LAN subnet the /64 that it would get from Comcast, and some pretty ugly manual configuration of your hosts to tell them which of the subnets they should be in when they ask the server about their IPv6 addresses. If you notice, there isn't too much that is configurable about the IPv6 client in Windows...I'm guessing it would probably take registry changes to modify some of this stuff, and in Linux, some pretty deep manipulation of the IPv6 config files...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Bronze Problem Solver

kevj wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the info!
Contributor
renfrowl

I'm currious myself if there has been any progress with this.  I run multiple VLAN's myself so i'm having issues getting IPv6 running smoothly past the border.  For testing i was able to split it up into some /96 blocks, but having to manually assign the IP address on each workstation is not ideal, specifically when the address changes.

My topology is pretty much as follows:

Internet  -> Cisco IOS Router  ->  Cisco ASA 5505

Under the Cisco ASA there are multiple VLAN's for:

1: DMZ

2: Wifi Workstations

3: Mobile Devices

4: Kids network

5: Guests

6: CCTV

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Right now we disabled the IA_PD option for now, once all the CMTS's get upgraded with a fix we will put back the IA_PD option so you can request a /64-/60..

Here is a sample of my house router, keep note of the "hint" and the "prefix-from" commands

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 description Comcast Public
 ipv6 address dhcp
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 dhcp client pd hint ::/60
 ipv6 dhcp client pd prefix-from-Comcast
 ipv6 traffic-filter ipv6_inbound in

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::1/64
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 nd other-config-flag
 ipv6 traffic-filter ipv6_outbound in

interface GigabitEthernet1/0
 ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::1:0:0:0:1/64
 ipv6 enable

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
 ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::2:0:0:0:1/64
 ipv6 enable

v6 Project
Frequent Visitor
madbavarian99

[ Edited ]

ComcastTuska wrote:

description Comcast Public
 ipv6 address dhcp
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 traffic-filter ipv6_inbound in

Which dhclient is this?   I'm having a hard time (read: failing at) finding a dhclient that supports simultaneous ipv6 address and pd requests.   The ISC dhclient only seems to want to do one at a time and running two instances one for normal addresses and one for pd doesn't work either since they end up getting each other's return packets.  So far I've only been able to stop one, let the other run.  There has got to be a better way. ;-)

Contributor
renfrowl

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply 

New Visitor
CaleColony

Any word on the PD hint timeline?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

CaleColony wrote:

We are getting ready to soak the change in a market soon, then we need to get all the other CMTS's upgraded...

v6 Project
New Visitor
2bluesc

ComcastTuska wrote:

CaleColony wrote:

We are getting ready to soak the change in a market soon, then we need to get all the other CMTS's upgraded...

Any updates on this?  I just spend 90 minutes trying to talk to comcast during which time I was given 4 different phone numbers telling me they could help me with IPV6 (1-877-842-1918, 1-877-443-3596, 1-877-480-1344, 1-877-443-3607).  All of them became increasingly staticy as I forwarded to the wrong departments.  Oh, and my call was dropped at least 3 times since I started counting.

I'm able to get a IPv6 address on my Linux router and I'm able to use it.  I'm able to get a /64 PD, but I can't really use that as I have multiple internal networks and subnetting a /64 is frowned upon.  I've tried hinting at requesting a /48, /56, and /60 PD with no luck.

Any updates when a reasonable PD will be available in the San Francisco market?  Is there anybody I can contact directly to attempt to get something setup as part of an early test?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

2bluesc wrote

Any updates when a reasonable PD will be available in the San Francisco market?  Is there anybody I can contact directly to attempt to get something setup as part of an early test?

I would be the correct person for this, right now we are still soaking this in the Denver Market with a /60.  We have a couple more weeks before we go national..

v6 Project
Contributor

Just curious how this was coming along...as another SF ipv6 consumer, i check my ipv6 dhcp prefix every few days, alas, nothing shorter than a /64 thusfar, thanks!

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

your in luck..   We re-enabled /60 IA_PD in most areas, and yes your area is one of them..  If your router can do a IA_PD and request a /60 the DHCP server will assign one.

v6 Project
Contributor
brodieb

Hi ComcastTuska

interface em0 {
    information-only;
};

interface em3 {
    send ia-na 1;
    send ia-pd 1;
    send rapid-commit;
    request domain-name-servers;

script "/usr/local/bin/dhcp6c-script";
};

id-assoc pd 1 {
    prefix-interface em0 {
        sla-len 4; # ::/60
        sla-id 0; # subnet 0
    };
};

id-assoc na 1 {
};

em3 is the public interface, and em0 is one of my LAN interfaces.

The script just hard-codes the Comcast router link-local address as I can't use route advertisements to configure local interfaces in OpenBSD when it's configured as a router.

/sbin/route -q delete -inet6 default
/sbin/route add -inet6 default -ifp em3 fe80::201:5cff:fe22:e141%em3

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Totally, you should be good PM me your CM MAC, and a good email address.

Did you try a DHCPv6 release\renew?  If you did, I would say one of two things could be happening here..

1.) your device isn't releasing the old  2) we aren't releasing the old 3) the IA_PD is not setup correct.

So what I would like to try is this do a release\renew, if that doesn't work.  I will schedule a /64 delete on your /64.  You do a reboot so to re-request a DHCPv6 PD and we can see if you get a /60 or /64.

If you get a /60 then the OS isn't doing a release correct, if you don't get a /60 at all then the OS isn't requesting the /60 correct.

v6 Project
Contributor
brodieb

The wide-dhcpv6-client performs a release on termination, and I'm terminating it cleanly, so I believe it's doing a release, yes. Here's the output from a recent session log:

Aug/11/2013 12:18:20: dhcp6_remove_event: removing an event on em3, state=RELEASE
Aug/11/2013 12:18:20: client6_recvreply: got an expected reply, sleeping.
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: copy_option: set client ID (len 14)
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: copy_option: set server ID (len 14)
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: copy_option: set elapsed time (len 2)
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: copyout_option: set IA_PD prefix
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: copyout_option: set IA_PD
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: client6_send: send release to ff02::1:2%em3
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: dhcp6_reset_timer: reset a timer on em3, state=RELEASE, timeo=1, retrans=2230
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: client6_recv: receive reply from fe80::201:5cff:fe22:e141%em3 on em3
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option client ID, len 14
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22:   DUID: 00:01:00:01:19:9a:9f:b7:00:00:24:ce:86:bc
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option server ID, len 14
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22:   DUID: 00:01:00:01:15:d6:c3:ad:84:2b:2b:fc:6c:e5
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option status code, len 21
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22:   status code: success
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: client6_recvreply: status code: success
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: client6_recvreply: executes /usr/local/bin/dhcp6c-script
add net default: gateway fe80::201:5cff:fe22:e141%em3
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: client6_script: script "/usr/local/bin/dhcp6c-script" terminated
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: dhcp6_remove_event: removing an event on em3, state=RELEASE
Aug/11/2013 12:18:22: check_exit: exiting

While experimenting this morning, I've gotten 3 different /64's: 2601:9:680:95::/64, 2601:9:680:30e::/64, and 2601:9:680:294::/64, but no /60's.

FYI, I'm a business subscriber, if that makes any difference. However, I'm running a SB6121 that I insisted on when I signed up.

thanks again!

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Nope that

brodieb wrote:

While experimenting this morning, I've gotten 3 different /64's: 2601:9:680:95::/64, 2601:9:680:30e::/64, and 2601:9:680:294::/64, but no /60's.

FYI, I'm a business subscriber, if that makes any difference. However, I'm running a SB6121 that I insisted on when I signed up.

thanks again!

ok, so I will get with the DHCP Server team and come up with a plan of attack here and email you..  I am at a CableLabs conference, so I may be a little delayed getting back with you.

v6 Project
Contributor
brodieb

There's no rush. Thanks again for the great customer support!

Contributor

this is interesting. im running a Cisco 3825. i scrapped everything ipv6 related from the interface and readded it, and also #clear ipv6 dhcp client int g0/1 ...got the same /64. 

adm-rtr-1#sh ipv6 dhcp int g0/1
GigabitEthernet0/1 is in client mode
Prefix State is OPEN (0)
<boring>
Prefix: 2601:9:5A80:158::/64
<boring>
DNS server: 2001:558:FEED::1
DNS server: 2001:558:FEED::2
Information refresh time: 0
Prefix name: COMCAST
Prefix Rapid-Commit: disabled
Address Rapid-Commit: disabled
Prefixes sent as hint:
::/60

thinking im not releasing the binding, i repeat, also #clear ipv6 dhcp bind *

I appear stuck in SOLICIT:

adm-rtr-1#sh ipv6 dhcp int g0/1
Prefix State is SOLICIT (0)

<boring>

the inteface itself is pretty simple:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

ipv6 address dhcp
ipv6 address autoconfig default
ipv6 enable
ipv6 dhcp client pd COMCAST

after waiting awhile, i scrapped the interface config again, and started over...(which is one of the many awesome things about ipv6...no disruption to ipv4!)

TADA!

Prefix State is OPEN (0)
Information refresh timer expires in 23:59:43
Renew will be sent in 1d23h
Address State is OPEN
<booooring>
Prefix: 2601:9:5A80:450::/60

preferred lifetime 345600, valid lifetime 345600
expires at Aug 16 2013 09:00 AM (345584 seconds)

SWEET! now the real work begins! thanks again!

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

souped wrote:

SWEET! now the real work begins! thanks again!

For each interface add this:

Interface 1

ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::1/64
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 traffic-filter ipv6_outbound in  (my access list)

Interface 2

ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::1:0:0:0:1/64
 ipv6 enable

Interface 3

ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::2:0:0:0:1/64
 ipv6 enable

And so on for each interface..

v6 Project
Contributor
renfrowl

I seem to still be having issues with this.  

My Setup:

Comcast ISP -> Cisco Router -> Cisco ASA -> Multiple Interfaces and VLAN's

Now i'm trying to pass the /60 though VLAN1 on the router for the ASA to break apart into /64's for the various network interfaces.

Interface Configurations:

twr1#sh ru int fa 4
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 451 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet4
description WAN
ip address dhcp
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip flow ingress
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in
zone-member security outside
duplex auto
speed auto
ipv6 address dhcp
ipv6 enable
ipv6 nd autoconfig default-route
ipv6 traffic-filter wan-in in
ipv6 traffic-filter wan-out out
no cdp enable
end

twr1#sh ru int vlan1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 332 bytes
!
interface Vlan1
description LAN
ip address 10.10.100.1 255.255.255.252
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip accounting output-packets
ip flow ingress
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly in
zone-member security inside
ipv6 address prefix-from-Comcast ::1/60
ipv6 enable
end

Debugg:

twr1#clear ipv6 dhcp binding *

twr1#clear ipv6 dhcp client fa 4
000057: *Jan 1 20:15:34.059 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Sending RELEASE to FF02::1:2 on FastEthernet4
000058: *Jan 1 20:15:34.059 EST: IPv6 DHCP: DHCPv6 changes state from OPEN to RELEASE (SHUTDOWN) on FastEthernet4
000059: *Jan 1 20:15:34.059 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Sending RELEASE to FF02::1:2 on FastEthernet4
000060: *Jan 1 20:15:34.063 EST: IPv6 DHCP: DHCPv6 address changes state from OPEN to RELEASE (ADDR_SHUTDOWN) on FastEthernet4
000061: *Jan 1 20:15:34.799 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received REPLY from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000062: *Jan 1 20:15:34.799 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Removing prefix 2601:A:3480:29E::/64 from prefix-from-Comcast
twr1#
000063: *Jan 1 20:15:34.799 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Unconfiguring DNS server 2001:558:FEED::1
000064: *Jan 1 20:15:34.799 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Unconfiguring DNS server 2001:558:FEED::2
000065: *Jan 1 20:15:34.799 EST: IPv6 DHCP: DHCPv6 changes state from RELEASE to IDLE (REPLY_RECEIVED) on FastEthernet4
000066: *Jan 1 20:15:35.031 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Sending RELEASE to FF02::1:2 on FastEthernet4
000067: *Jan 1 20:15:35.087 EST: IPv6 DHCP: DHCPv6 address changes state from RELEASE to SOLICIT (ADDR_START) on FastEthernet4
000068: *Jan 1 20:15:35.087 EST: IPv6 DHCP: DHCPv6 changes state from IDLE to SOLICIT (START) on FastEthernet4
twr1#
000069: *Jan 1 20:15:35.747 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received REPLY from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000070: *Jan 1 20:15:35.747 EST: IPv6 DHCP: No matching transaction ID in REPLY from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000071: *Jan 1 20:15:36.071 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Sending SOLICIT to FF02::1:2 on FastEthernet4
000072: *Jan 1 20:15:36.127 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Sending SOLICIT to FF02::1:2 on FastEthernet4
000073: *Jan 1 20:15:36.783 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received ADVERTISE from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000074: *Jan 1 20:15:36.783 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Adding server FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81
000075: *Jan 1 20:15:36.783 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Sending REQUEST to FF02::1:2 on FastEthernet4
000076: *Jan 1 20:15:36.831 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received ADVERTISE from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000077: *Jan 1 20:15:36.831 EST: IPv6 DHCP: No matching transaction ID in ADVERTISE from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000078: *Jan 1 20:15:36.847 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received ADVERTISE from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
twr1#
000079: *Jan 1 20:15:36.847 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Sending REQUEST to FF02::1:2 on FastEthernet4
000080: *Jan 1 20:15:36.847 EST: IPv6 DHCP: DHCPv6 changes state from SOLICIT to REQUEST (ADVERTISE_RECEIVED) on FastEthernet4
000081: *Jan 1 20:15:36.879 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received ADVERTISE from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000082: *Jan 1 20:15:36.879 EST: IPv6 DHCP: No matching transaction ID in ADVERTISE from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000083: *Jan 1 20:15:37.563 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received REPLY from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000084: *Jan 1 20:15:37.563 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Processing options
000085: *Jan 1 20:15:37.563 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Adding address 2001:558:6020:169:489E:F381:1110:5102/128 to FastEthernet4
000086: *Jan 1 20:15:37.563 EST: IPv6 DHCP: T1 set to expire in 172800 seconds
000087: *Jan 1 20:15:37.563 EST: IPv6 DHCP: T2 set to expire in 276480 seconds
000088: *Jan 1 20:15:37.567 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Configuring DNS server 2001:558:FEED::1
000089: *Jan 1 20:15:37.567 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Configuring DNS server 2001:558:FEED::2
000090: *Jan 1 20:15:37.739 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Received REPLY from FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81 on FastEthernet4
000091: *Jan 1 20:15:37.739 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Processing options
twr1#
000092: *Jan 1 20:15:37.739 EST: IPv6 DHCP: Adding prefix 2601:A:3480:29E::/64 to prefix-from-Comcast
000093: *Jan 1 20:15:37.739 EST: IPv6 DHCP: T1 set to expire in 172800 seconds
000094: *Jan 1 20:15:37.739 EST: IPv6 DHCP: T2 set to expire in 276480 seconds
000095: *Jan 1 20:15:37.739 EST: IPv6 DHCP: DHCPv6 changes state from REQUEST to OPEN (REPLY_RECEIVED) on FastEthernet4

twr1#sh ipv6 dhcp int fa 4
FastEthernet4 is in client mode
Prefix State is OPEN
Renew will be sent in 1d23h
Address State is OPEN
Renew for address will be sent in 1d23h
List of known servers:
Reachable via address: FE80::201:5CFF:FE23:F81
DUID: 0001000116E1109714FEB5D80D5E
Preference: 255
Configuration parameters:
IA PD: IA ID 0x00020001, T1 172800, T2 276480
Prefix: 2601:A:3480:29E::/64
expires at Jan 05 2006 08:15 PM (345561 seconds)
IA NA: IA ID 0x00020001, T1 172800, T2 276480
Address: 2001:558:6020:169:489E:F381:1110:5102/128
expires at Jan 05 2006 08:15 PM (345561 seconds)
DNS server: 2001:558:FEED::1
DNS server: 2001:558:FEED::2
Information refresh time: 0
Prefix name: prefix-from-Comcast
Prefix Rapid-Commit: disabled
Address Rapid-Commit: disabled
Prefixes sent as hint:
::/60

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

renfrowl wrote:

I seem to still be having issues with this.  

My Setup:

Comcast ISP -> Cisco Router -> Cisco ASA -> Multiple Interfaces and VLAN's

I would try what "souped" tried "after waiting awhile, i scrapped the interface config again, and started over...(which is one of the many awesome things about ipv6...no disruption to ipv4!"

v6 Project
Contributor
brodieb

My wide-dhcpv6-client configuration is working now, and I'm readily obtaining /60's from Comcast. The trick is that you need to specify a prefix in the client configuration. I had thought that simply specifying a sla-len in each prefix-interface stanza was sufficient.

Here's my working dhcp6c.conf, for reference. I'm listening for DHCPv6 offers on em3, requesting a generic /60 prefix, and assigning /64 subnets to em0 and em2.

interface em3 {
    send ia-na 1;
    send ia-pd 1;
    send rapid-commit;
    request domain-name-servers;

script "/usr/local/bin/dhcp6c-script";
};

id-assoc pd 1 {
    prefix ::/60 infinity;

prefix-interface em0 {
        sla-len 4;
        sla-id 1;
    };

prefix-interface em2 {
        sla-len 4;
        sla-id 2;
    };
};

id-assoc na 1 {
};

For the contents of the script and my reason for needing it, see my original post in this thread.

Thanks for the IPv6 service, Comcast! And thanks again to ComcastTuska for the great support.

New Visitor
mikeisfly

Hi Do you know if IA_PD is supported in the Freedom Region of Comcast? I live in NJ and my router supports it but I can't seem to pull anything larger than /64. If it is not available do you have a date on when it might be supported?

Thanks,

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

That is a GREAT question, we do have two major areas where it is NOT supported due to upgrades that need to be completed..  Feel free to PM me your Public IPv4 address or CM(HFC) MAC address and I will take a look.

v6 Project
New Visitor
tdmomega77

Just got IPv6 up and running on my home network too; however, since I further subnet for a VPN solution on the IPv4 side, I would be interested in getting a /60 as well for further internal subnetting.  I am out of Memphis, TN.  Any idea if this is possible and what I need to do?  My appreciation in advance.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

tdmomega77 wrote:

Any idea if this is possible and what I need to do?  My appreciation in advance.

What type of router do you have?  It needs to support DHCPv6 Option IA_PD..  just set it to ::/60

v6 Project
New Visitor
tdmomega77

I am using a SOPHOS UTM appliance, and although I can configure IA_PD for my own internal network DHCP, I cannot seem to find out how to do this for requesting through my WAN interface.  Is there any way for Comcast to manually push me a /60?  I apologize for my ignorance, but I am fairly new to IPv6.  Your responses are most appreciated.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

tdmomega77 wrote:

Is there any way for Comcast to manually push me a /60?

No that needs to be apart of the incoming packet to the DHCP Server..  I would ask "SOPHOS UTM appliance" about that and how you can get IA_PD..

v6 Project
Contributor
BFranske

I recently transitioned from tunneling to native IPv6 as I saw it was now availiable on my CMTS. One issue I'm having though is that I too need a /60 for internal subnetting. I tried adjusting the PD to pull a /60 but it seemed that I needed to go to /64 in order to get a prefix back. What's the status on this rollout is it still not nationally available? Thanks!

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

BFranske wrote:

I recently transitioned from tunneling to native IPv6 as I saw it was now availiable on my CMTS. One issue I'm having though is that I too need a /60 for internal subnetting. I tried adjusting the PD to pull a /60 but it seemed that I needed to go to /64 in order to get a prefix back. What's the status on this rollout is it still not nationally available? Thanks!

BFranske,

Your in an area that supports /60..  If you first set it up as a /64 you will receive said /64 till you release/renew or timeout that lease..

v6 Project
Contributor
BFranske

Thanks, I suspect that is the problem. Unforutnately the version of wide-dhcp6c which I'm working with on this router does not support releasing addresses (!) I've filed a ticket upstream with the packager to see about getting that fixed. In the meantime, do you happen to know the timeout duration on IPv6 leases?

Thanks!

-Ben

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

The DHCP client should have your lease time in it..  can you do a status?

v6 Project
Contributor
BFranske

Unfortunately not, the build of dhcp6c that I'm working with seems to be early/a bit half baked. Very few things are supported for troubleshooting purposes...

Contributor
BFranske

After further digging in the sparse documentation I determined that I could force a release with a SIGTERM. I also figured out how to add the PD option to specifically request a ::/60. For some reason it looks like I'm getting two advertisements back from the DHCP server now though, a ::/60 followed by a ::/64 which causes some problems with the wide-dhcp6c client and prevents proper assignment of the ::/60. See the log:

Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: client6_send: send solicit to ff02::1:2
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_reset_timer: reset a timer on eth0, state=SOLICIT, timeo=0, retrans=1012
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: client6_recv: receive advertise from fe80::214:f1ff:fee8:b1e2 on eth0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option client ID, len 10
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   DUID: 00:03:00:06:00:15:6d:c1:3c:84
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option server ID, len 14
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   DUID: 00:01:00:01:16:e9:ad:15:14:fe:b5:d5:a6:a0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option identity association, len 40
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   IA_NA: ID=0, T1=172800, T2=276480
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option: get DHCP option IA address, len 24
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option:   IA_NA address: 2001:558:6014:a:1c2b:4e03:7539:e5b3 pltime=345600 vltime=345600
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option IA_PD, len 41
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   IA_PD: ID=0, T1=172800, T2=276480
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   DUID: 00:01:00:01:16:e9:ad:0d:14:fe:b5:d5:b6:f9
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option identity association, len 40
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   IA_NA: ID=0, T1=172800, T2=276480
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option: get DHCP option IA address, len 24
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option:   IA_NA address: 2001:558:6014:a:859d:bd39:6473:46f1 pltime=345600 vltime=345600
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option IA_PD, len 41
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   IA_PD: ID=0, T1=172800, T2=276480
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option: get DHCP option IA_PD prefix, len 25
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option:   IA_PD prefix: 2601:2:4540:130::/60 pltime=345600 vltime=345600
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option preference, len 1
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   preference: 0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option DNS, len 32
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.info dhcp6c[2965]: client6_recvadvert: XID mismatch
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: client6_recv: receive reply from fe80::214:f1ff:fee8:b1e2 on eth0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option client ID, len 10
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   DUID: 00:03:00:06:00:15:6d:c1:3c:84
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option server ID, len 14
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]:   DUID: 00:01:00:01:16:e9:ad:15:14:fe:b5:d5:a6:a0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option:   IA_NA address: 2001:558:6014:a:1c2b:4e03:7539:e5b3 pltime=345600 vltime=345600
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option: get DHCP option IA_PD prefix, len 25
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: copyin_option:   IA_PD prefix: 2601:2:4500:c78::/64 pltime=345600 vltime=345600
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_get_options: get DHCP option DNS, len 32
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: info_printf: nameserver[0] 2001:558:feed::2
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: info_printf: nameserver[1] 2001:558:feed::1
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: client6_recvreply: executes /usr/bin/dhcp6c-state
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: client6_script: script "/usr/bin/dhcp6c-state" terminated
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: get_ia: make an IA: PD-0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: update_prefix: create a prefix 2601:2:4500:c78::/64 pltime=345600, vltime=345600
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.info dhcp6c[2965]: add_ifprefix: invalid prefix length 64 + 4 + 64
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.info dhcp6c[2965]: add_ifprefix: invalid prefix length 64 + 4 + 64
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: get_ia: make an IA: NA-0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: update_address: create an address 2001:558:6014:a:1c2b:4e03:7539:e5b3 pltime=345600, vltime=345600
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: ifaddrconf: add an address 2001:558:6014:a:1c2b:4e03:7539:e5b3/128 on eth0
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_remove_event: removing an event on eth0, state=REQUEST
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: dhcp6_remove_event: removing server (ID: 00:01:00:01:16:e9:ad:15:14:fe:b5:d5:a6:a0)
Sep 24 01:53:11 OpenWrt daemon.debug dhcp6c[2965]: client6_recvreply: got an expected reply, sleeping.

Visitor
zelouki

After playing around with the config on my 2851, I was finally able to get a ::/60 prefix to advertise and install. I'm not sure what the deal was, as my debugs kept showing only ::/64 advertisements until earlier today when an unsolicited advertisement for a ::/60 showed up. Attempting to clear the DHCP client on only resulted in the same ::/64 prefix I had all weekend until I blew the entire IPv6 configuration away on all interfaces and let things sit for about 30 minutes. Putting the same configuration back resulted in the desired ::/60 PD, and all seems to be working fine.

There is a question that I have concerning the PD lease. How frequently can I expect the PD to change going forward, and is does Comcast allow me to hint for the same prefix that was just assigned? I ask because I run an internal DNS to make my home network and services, and I would like to avoid having to rebuild my DNS zones and DHCP name-server statements every time it changes.

Current working config:

ipv6 dhcp pool DHCP-LAN-IPv6
dns-server <internal DNS IPv6 address>
domain-name <internal domain-name>

description $FW_OUTSIDE$
ip address dhcp
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in
zone-member security out-zone
load-interval 30
duplex auto
speed auto
ipv6 address dhcp
ipv6 enable
ipv6 nd autoconfig default-route
ipv6 dhcp client pd COMCAST_PREFIX
ipv6 virtual-reassembly in
no cdp enable
no mop enabled
crypto map CRYP_MAP
end

interface GigabitEthernet1/0.108
description Home-VLAN
encapsulation dot1Q 108
ip address 192.168.8.1 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly in
zone-member security in-zone
ipv6 address COMCAST_PREFIX ::8:0:0:0:1/64
ipv6 enable
ipv6 dhcp server DHCP-LAN-IPv6
ipv6 virtual-reassembly in
end

Frequent Visitor
madbavarian99

I found that the /64 that I was receiving changed much too frequently to be useful for using for traffic within my network.  After a half dozen address changes I stopped updating my internal DNS zone with the Comcast provided address and simply started using LUA addresses (eg. fdxx::/64).

I think Comcast is doing a disservice to IPv6 adoption by handing out such short leases.  How are they expecting folks to tie their printers and fileservers together if the addresses change every few days?  At least with NAT on ipv4 we had fixed addresses that we could count on.  With 2 day leases we are supposed to update /etc/hosts or our dns zones every few days?  Preposterous.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

zelouki wrote:

There is a question that I have concerning the PD lease. How frequently can I expect the PD to change going forward, and is does Comcast allow me to hint for the same prefix that was just assigned? I ask because I run an internal DNS to make my home network and services, and I would like to avoid having to rebuild my DNS zones and DHCP name-server statements every time it changes.

As long as you keep the router online and the renews work correctly, you shouldnt have any issues.  I have had the same /60 for about a year now..  So you should receive the same PD each time you do a renew..

Now if you have network issues you may pull from the back DHCP server.  Bottom line is you have the same config as I do so you should be good to go.   If you have issues please post again with details..

v6 Project
Official Employee
ComcastTuska

madbavarian99 wrote:

I found that the /64 that I was receiving changed much too frequently to be useful for using for traffic within my network.  After a half dozen address changes I stopped updating my internal DNS zone with the Comcast provided address and simply started using LUA addresses (eg. fdxx::/64).

I think Comcast is doing a disservice to IPv6 adoption by handing out such short leases.  How are they expecting folks to tie their printers and fileservers together if the addresses change every few days?  At least with NAT on ipv4 we had fixed addresses that we could count on.  With 2 day leases we are supposed to update /etc/hosts or our dns zones every few days?  Preposterous.

This is incorrect information, maybe you should post a new topic with your issue..  Maybe post some details like Modem, Router, Firmware versions and your config on the router so other people can take a look..  I know some router firmwares in the field have an issue sending a new DUID for each release, that would get you a new PD each time.  But that is not a Comcast issue..

v6 Project
Visitor
zelouki

Thank you for the information, Tuska. I appreciate the information and will monitor and post again if I need further assistance.

Contributor
hardtarget459

I think I'm running into this issue in the Pacific Northwest (which was recently rolled out at the end of September according to comcast6.net).

My firewall is set to send a prefix-hint of '/60', so I can assign different IPv6 subnets to my backend networks. If I run a tcpdump capture on my WAN interface on my firewall, I can see two offers coming back:

1) Prefix delegation of /60, preference 0

2) Prefix delegation of /64, preference 255

This makes my firewall choose the /64 offer, which means I then can't route anything unless I only enable IPv6 on a single interface.  I could split up the /64, but that would be a nightmare to manage on the backend (and would sort of defeat a lot of the usefulness of the protocol).

How do I make my connection give me a /60 prefix delegation?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

hardtarget459 wrote:

PM Me your DUID and CM-MAC and I will take a look..

v6 Project
Official Employee
ComcastTuska

ComcastTuska wrote:

hardtarget459 wrote:

PM Me your DUID and CM-MAC and I will take a look..

Ok we are looking into this..

v6 Project