New Visitor

IPv6 setup router for internet connection

I read that comcast was using the "dual stack" CPE for /128 or /64 Ipv6.  I will be hooking my router to computers running Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04, Droid OS's.  My new Netgear WNDR450 router comes with many selections for IPv6 connectivety.  Out of the choices below, which one would work with comcast?  I read on a forum that the "6to4 Tunnel" setting is what works best for Comcast connectivety.  I would like to get that confirmed.

Auto Detect - Router detects the IPv6 type.

6to4 Tunnel

Pass Through

Fixed

DHCP

PPPoE

Auto Config - If your Internet connection does not use PPPoE, DHCP, or fixed, but is IPv6.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: IPv6 setup router for internet connection

He

Your can start looking at this site http://www.comcast6.net/ to get you started.

Networking Expert
Baric

It depends on your exact area and if you are included in the IPv6 trial.  If you are not in the specific area of California, or are using the business class service, then stick with IPv4 until such time as it does come to your area.  For example in my area (sourthern NH) no matter what IPv6 settings I set, nothing ever works, and both my cable modem and router both support IPv6.

So, unless it's being rolled out in your area, there is nothing for you to do besides watch and follow along.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

They were running 6rd trials in certain areas a while back but I believe that these have now concluded.

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

I was messing around with mine a few months ago (in MD) and was able to connect via IPv6 using the 6to4 Tunnel setting...nothing else seemed to work...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Connection Expert
JamesR

My router is v6 ready but I am not sure about the sb5101 modem. During the test it passed as 6 to 4.
New Visitor

I am using IPv6 through a a 6to4 tunnel and it seems to work fine. Better, in fact, from my Linux machines than my Mac (I have no Windows to test with). My router is a Apple Airport Extreme and I've just changed the modem out to one that supports IPv6 in hopes that I'll get a real IPv6 range from Comcast some day. The 6to4 tunneling worked fine with the previous modem.

New Visitor

I am also in NH.  IP setup requires change of last 3 digits for online games. How do I do this on new system

Email Expert

What games do you use that require IPv6 rather than normal IPv4?

Networking Expert
Baric

DonaldFanning wrote:

I am also in NH.  IP setup requires change of last 3 digits for online games. How do I do this on new system

No game I have every played online requires any such change and none of them require IPv6 since very few people actually have it at this point.  If you mean you need to change your IP address to get around an IP ban, that's an entirely different thing and has nothing to do with IPv6.  Perhaps you would care to explain things a little better?

Visitor
anthonyveiga

Comcast started rolling out regular residential IPv6 this year.  It's going out slowly to different areas at a time.  The http://www.comcast6.net site is the best way to find out what's coming when.  I'd stay away from 6to4 though.  It works, but it doesn't necessarily work well.  You'll still use IPv4 in most every instance, except where a site is IPv6 only or you explicity connected to an IPv6 address.  Plus, it's technically a tunnel so you're adding latency to your connection and you can't gauranteee a return route.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

[ Edited ]

gsparesa wrote:

I read that comcast was using the "dual stack" CPE for /128 or /64 Ipv6.  I will be hooking my router to computers running Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04, Droid OS's.  My new Netgear WNDR450 router comes with many selections for IPv6 connectivety.  Out of the choices below, which one would work with comcast?  I read on a forum that the "6to4 Tunnel" setting is what works best for Comcast connectivety.  I would like to get that confirmed.

Auto Detect - Router detects the IPv6 type.

6to4 Tunnel

Pass Through

Fixed

DHCP

PPPoE

Auto Config - If your Internet connection does not use PPPoE, DHCP, or fixed, but is IPv6.

Your best bet would be the IPv6 DHCP since Comcast plans on rolling out a native dual stack. http://blog.comcast.com/2011/11/ipv6-deployment-technology.html I'm in the same boat with my E4200v2.  In the meantime what I did was go to hurricane electric, got a free IPv6 tunnel and followed these instructions. http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=1850.0 and it's been working for me under extremely heavy load. I get 10/10 on both IPv6 and IPv4 tests and I can connect to any IPv6 site without a problem. Ideally this is a stop gap measure until Comcast rolls out that native IPv6 of course.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

[ Edited ]

JamesR wrote:
My router is v6 ready but I am not sure about the sb5101 modem. During the test it passed as 6 to 4.

No your SB5101 is not IPv6 supported as of yet, according to Comcast's page. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Regular Contributor

MikeWolf wrote:

No your SB5101 is not IPv6 supported as of yet, according to Comcast's page. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

One of the columns in the table of modems on that page is labeled "Pic." What is "Pic."?

Connection Expert
EG

"Pic" = picture. If a picture of a particular device is available there, click on it and you will see it.

Connection Expert
EG

Four month old thread has run it's course. Thread closed.