Visitor
seppt
Accepted Solution

IPv6 with a Zoom 5352 cable modem

I have a Zoom 5352 cable modem and would like to get an IPv6 address. According to the manufacturer IPv6 is supported (http://zoom.net/products/5352.html). Also Comcast lists the Zoom 5352 as IPv6 capable on http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/.

Did someone manage to get IPv6 working on the Zoom 5352?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: IPv6 with a Zoom 5352 cable modem

IPv6 would need to actually be available in your local area. It is not everywhere as of yet.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

seppt wrote:

I have a Zoom 5352 cable modem and would like to get an IPv6 address. According to the manufacturer IPv6 is supported (http://zoom.net/products/5352.html). Also Comcast lists the Zoom 5352 as IPv6 capable on http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/.

Did someone manage to get IPv6 working on the Zoom 5352?

The CMTS that services your area supports IPv6 and the DHCP server is currently handing out leases.  As long as your modem supports IPv6 CPE look here: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?s=i&so=1&e=0&d3=0&tier=-1&sc=401 and your router supports DHCPv6-PD. 

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Is that Zoom model number 5350 ?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

The user has a 5352, I just checked..

v6 Project
Connection Expert
EG

O/k. I've never heard of that model before. It appears to be a combo gateway device.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ZOOM---DOCSIS-3.0-Cable-Modem-with-Built-In-Wireless-N-Router/8614266.p?...

Contributor
rewtroy

+1 on wanting to get IPv6 on comcast with a Zoom 5352.

I used to use a 5350 (also a modem/router combo), which worked fine but made no promise for v6.

The 5352 does, but is very vague about it.  I'm not sure if it's expecting to do SLAAC or DHCPv6-PD, etc. for the LAN's assignment.  It gives just enough mention of v4 and v6 on the Web interface to make me think it might do it if the right things activate, but so far no dice.

Contributor
rewtroy

I just spoke to the Zoom customer support at 617-753-0963 who claimed that Comcast had certified the Zoom 5352 as capable of handling IPv6 on the WAN side (of course, I didn't get any names - sorry).  However, he claimed it is not capable of IPv6 on the LAN side (which seems odd, given the "DHCPv6 server" enable/disable toggle for guest wireless LAN in the modem/router's config page).  So if that's the case, then maybe I'm back to the when-available-for-my-area question, rather than when-available-for-my-CPE-device question.

I have to admit, I'm planning to return this before the waived restocking fee period ends Sunday if I can't resolve this, being that IPv6 was the reason I got this device.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Zoom 5352 is supported by Comcast for IPv6.  So if your area CMTS supports IPv6 then you should be good to go.

v6 Project
Contributor
rewtroy

I just called Comcast support again, 1-800-934-6489, and this time I got someone who affirmed that IPv6 is not given out to all areas yet, so that is what I'll believe is my case for the moment.  That and we should be getting notices when IPv6 is available to us, over bills, email, etc. especially if we need to upgrade or do something else.

So I may hedge my bets and return the combo while I wait for things to become available, in the case it doesn't do v6 assignment to internal devices like the Zoom tech indicated.

Contributor
rewtroy

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

If you know of a way I can see when my area CMTS should get it, or could check the box for "yes, I'd like to be an IPv6 early adopter" I'd be happy to hear.  Thanks again.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

rewtroy wrote:

I just called Comcast support again, 1-800-934-6489, and this time I got someone who affirmed that IPv6 is not given out to all areas yet, so that is what I'll believe is my case for the moment.  That and we should be getting notices when IPv6 is available to us, over bills, email, etc. especially if we need to upgrade or do something else.

So I may hedge my bets and return the combo while I wait for things to become available, in the case it doesn't do v6 assignment to internal devices like the Zoom tech indicated.

Send me your public IPv4 address via PM, I can check on this for you. We have completed over 50% of our service areas.  Per www.comcast6.net "We are targeting completion of the rest of the network by mid-2013."

v6 Project
Contributor
rewtroy

So since ComcastTuska PM'ed me back that "(You're) good as well..  Your CMTS supports IPv6.." based on my IPv4 address, any thoughts what I should try now?

Last I checked, I still wasn't getting IPv6 addresses in either the modem (from what I can tell from the configuration page) nor in my connecting devices.  Should I contact Comcast support again to troubleshoot?  The device vendor?  Wait until things IPv6 solidify better before trying again?  Try another device?

So far, the theme I've heard is "it should just work."  So far, it hasn't.  Yes, reboots, resets, config tweaks and the like have been attempted.

Not super urgent, just trying to be proactive, and not waste too much money on restocking fees ;-).

Thanks again for your help and thank you Comcast for being among the leaders in IPv6 deployment.

Contributor
rewtroy

[ Edited ]

Just heard back from Zoom support [Incident: 130401-000031]:

"Appaerntly Comcast has found that with certain erouters the IPV6 is not working with the Zoom modem 5352
It is an issuethat Comcast si seeing with Broadcom based modems

Our engineers are looking into this matter right now."

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

I will take that support case and find out what the deal is..

v6 Project
Contributor
rewtroy

Thanks.

FYI, I switched up my Zoom for a Motorola SB6141, which works just fine with IPv6.  I got a 2001.../128 address right out of the box.

Now to find a matching router than can do DHCPv6-PD... (http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Which-modems-amp-routers-support-IPv6-with-...).

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

That issue is with the cable modem management interface, I can enable dual-stack on that eRouter so you can test it.  I will PM you here shortly.

v6 Project
Contributor
rewtroy

Ya, sorry ComcastTuska, I took my Zoom back (I was right at the cusp of facing a restocking fee if it didn't work).

Do you want others to post here if they have a Zoom 5352 and want to enable IPv6, since it appears you have to enable something on your side (despite what Zoom told me)?

New Visitor
bverdon

I have a zoom 5352 modem but I am having an issue getting a WAN IP at all from comcast.

This device is IPV6 capable but there appears to be 3 IP's associated with the modem. one for the cable modem, one for the WAN(which it is never receiving) and one for the LAN. I currently have it in router mode and it is not working. when I enable briding the primary network AND put it in bridge mode, I can only get public IP on the computuer directly attached to the zoom. my other devices can't get an IP (mainly cuz I only get one IP :-) . My wireless clients from the zoon stops working and I can no longer manage the modem in this configuration.

Very frustrating.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

bverdon wrote:

I have a zoom 5352 modem but I am having an issue getting a WAN IP at all from comcast.

This device is IPV6 capable but there appears to be 3 IP's associated with the modem. one for the cable modem, one for the WAN(which it is never receiving) and one for the LAN. I currently have it in router mode and it is not working. when I enable briding the primary network AND put it in bridge mode, I can only get public IP on the computuer directly attached to the zoom. my other devices can't get an IP (mainly cuz I only get one IP :-) . My wireless clients from the zoon stops working and I can no longer manage the modem in this configuration.

Very frustrating.

You want your router in router mode to get devices behind it to work.   Put the router back into router modem and reset both your router and modem.

v6 Project
New Visitor
bverdon

No dice. The ONLY way I got this to work was put it in bridge mode and connect my firewall to it...the firewall got a DHCP address (public IP) and that is the ONLY way this modem is working. I called Zoom and was told that Comcast needs to push a zoom specific config to my modem.

I have a teck coming out tomorrow...hopefully he has a clue. I don't have high hopes. How much you want to bet that he hits me with "I only know how to check the line signal...that's it!"

trust me...I am no stranger to resetting ALL my devices here....no dice. It is simply not gettting what zoom is refering to as a "WAN" IP. I does have a public IP on the Cable Modem interface....

don't ask me what the difference is...zoom support didn't really know.

New Visitor
brewernt

I wanted to post the solution to my recent VERY frustrating experience with this issue. I know this is an old thread, but still a known issue.

Issue:

With the zoom 5352 lit up as though it had service ( i.e. green power, blue US and DS , and green online, wlan, and wps, all solid and not blinking) and all Comcast support reporting activation and service provided, I couldn't connect to a webpage through wireless or Ethernet on any of multiple devices.

Zoom settings showed no Ipv6 address or an expired WLAN lease. It also showed no ipv6 under the properties through network and sharing in windows.

Solution:

Once properly activated, I called zoom support ( see also http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/zoom-issue/)

All SNR and power levels checked and zoom said the problem was with Comcast. The tech I had out was ready to leave, we then (for the 3rd time) tried to hard reset the system. On powering up the blue US and DS lights blinked for a while then the zoom reset again. This indicated to the tech a firmware update had taken place. Afterward, connectivity was established.

TL;DR: call zoom and check the firmware version.