Contributor
HoustonTexans
Accepted Solution

Internet VERY VERY Slow/Lag through wifi

Okay so I have a Docsis 3.0 router and have a netgear n600 wireless router that I use for my comcast internet. 

The problem I was having was that when connecting to the internet through the wifi, there was a lag and websites would load way slower than through direct connection. 

I use google chrome and so when I type in a website lets say such as ESPN.com, the browser will have a gray loading icon and then after like 3-5 seconds it will turn to a blue loading icon and begin loading the website. That 3-5 second lag is very annoying. It doesn't happen when I use a direct connection to the modem. 

So I call up comcast on Monday and the guy tells me that my modem is old (What?! I have a docsis 3.0) and that I should upgrade to their wirless gateway router/modem. So he gives me a deal or whatever and I get the appointment set up for today. 

So today the technician comes and installs the new gateway modem and I am having the SAME EXACT ISSUE. I thought that the gateway modem would be good because it is a wireless and modem together so that should be good.

So I am still having this same problem of the internet going very slow on my wireless devices and I am not understanding why it is doing so.

If any of you guys know how to solve this issue or have gone through this problem please help me out. I would really appreciate it. Thank You!

Also, I have the 20-25mbps internet plan.. so the internet should definitely very fast.

New Visitor
skilbej

Re: Internet VERY VERY Slow/Lag through wifi

FYI, I have a similar experience.  I too called Comcast and they directed me through a speed test with and without the router in the loop.  Download speeds were less than 50% as fast when the router is in the loop (roughly 13 mbps with vs 24+ mbps without).  Upload speed was >3 mbps without the router and <0.5 mbps with the router.  These are the speeds at my PC which is ethernet connected to the router, not wirelessly connected.

The Comcast support techncian suggested I buy a new router (currently using a Netgear WT 624 v 3, about 5 yrs old) as they suggested to you. I am in that process. 

I will be very disappointed if the new router makes no improvement.  Please post if you learn anything.

The link for the speed test is http://speedtest.comcast.net/

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

Did you rent or own that docsis 3 modem?  what model   ?  As for router 600 n should have been fine . Now for the Gateway device being the fix , there as 100's of post warning to stay away from them . If you own docsis 3 modem may want to hook that back up have comcast reprovision it over phone . Go into the modem signal page and post upstream and downstream signals .

Good tip on modems , read here on the stickys forums post .

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575...

Then hook up 600n go into the settings on wireless router uncheck "wmm" (  http://brikis98.blogspot.com/2012/02/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload.html?m=1  )  .

Contributor
HoustonTexans

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the replying guys.

I have this docsis 3.0 modem: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband.  I owned it. I bought it from Amazon.

Today, they installed the gateway xfinity modem. The direct connection is fast but like I said the wifi has been horrible. 

So with this gateway xfinity modem I put my netgear n600 router into it, and used the netgear for my wifi. The internet through the wifi is working terrific now. It isn't lagging. Its obviously not as fast as direct connection. But it is wayyyyy better than what it was before. 

The thing is, I don't get why the Motorola SB6120 modem and the netgear n600 combination work as good. The initial reason for getting the gateway modem was I thought the netgear router was the trouble. But if the netgear router is performing good with the gateway modem, then I don't understand what the problem with the motorola sb6120 modem is. 

Contributor
HoustonTexans

UHFhd I am going to try your potential solution tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

If the gateway device is not in "bridge mode" you can get what's called a double Nat using router also  . You can call comcast and get gateway modem put into bridge mode . Best bet is to use sb6120 and 600n then go into settings for netgear and disable Wmm .

If you choose to go back to old configuration post the signal power levels on modem page  , those could still  be problematic .

Good luck .

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Get rid of the gateway as their wireless performance is abysmal.  Use the Netgear router like you had.  One thing to try is to disable WMM in the router and now check your download speed.

Visitor

I know the feeling, I get 26.43mbps down, 5.17 up ping of 11 to 15 with out my router. on wi-fi the speed drops

to  ,37mbps down, 3.63mbps up ,ping is34. Ihave a dell laptop,8 months old, a cisco e-1500 router 4 months

old. Wi-fi at hot spots around town are not much better. When I first set it up It was fast enough to watch full

movies on line . My problem started six weeks ago. what is WMM you said that could be disabled on the

router? I called Comcast and they want me to get thier gateway combow.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]
The solution  Found on this website posted by user( ) on comcast forums    http://brikis98.blogspot.com/2012/02/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload.html?m=1
Out of desperation, I started tweaking random settings on my router and stumbled across one that finally worked. The directions for other routers may be a little different, but here's what I did:
  1. Go to http://192.168.1.1 and login to your router. If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do a google search to find the default username and password.
  2. Find a page that has QoS settings. For the E1200, you need to click on "Applications & Gaming" and select the "QoS" sub-menu.
  3. Disable WMM Support
  4. Click save.
That's it. The second I disabled WMM support, the download speeds for my laptop and iPhone both jumped to 24 Mbps, perfectly matching my desktop.
 Hoot51 hope that helped
Visitor

I took the advice of ( UHFhd POST 916, message 9 )

His solution was to find a page,in the router set up ,that has QoS settings. he found it in the "Applications & Gaming". he selected QoS sub menu.then disabled WMM Support and clicked save.

I followed his plan.thentook a speed test at

speedtest.net and ran thier test.here is my results.  before=ping 20    download 0.41mb/s     up load 5.06mb/s

after=  Ping 15    download 25.65 mb/s  Up load 5.49mb/s

sofar it's working great! at home ,but at a hot spot in town is still run real slow!

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

The hot spot in town could just have to many computers sharing same connection speed .

Contributor
HoustonTexans

Thank you for the help.

Okay so I disabled WMM for my Netgear n600. And the speeds for wireless through the netgear n600 increased from about 17mbps to about 25mbps. So that definitely helps. 

I didn't change the gateway modem to bridge mode yet. So if I do that, will it make the connection even better?

Contributor
HoustonTexans

[ Edited ]

Okay so I am using the xfinity gateway as my modem, and I am using the netgear n600 as my wireless. And right now this is what I am getting:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.254.162.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3264 Kbps.
Downstream: 32383 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.

Median received rate: 3210 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 45062-45755 KB;
Shaping rate: 16426 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

I haven't changed the modem to bridge mode, i am not sure if i should do that or not.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Comcast would send a signal to modem and do those resets to bridge mode . You would have to call into comcast . Try it the way it is see how works .

If pages start to " time out " call in have gateway set to bridge mode .

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, "double NAT" can be a undesirable condition for a home networking environment. Some things will work but it will break other things / protocols, and it can complicate configurations unnecessarily.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

TY for input EG .

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same router and was experiencing the same issue.  Stuck at 17mb, disabled WMM and now up to about 25mb.  Better.

However, my hard-wired Win7 desktop is reading 57mb download, and I don't understand why I can't get near that with my wireless.  I'm testing my wireless devices (laptop/ipad) sitting right next to the n600 router.  I've tired everything else in the book (chaning channels, changing IP, adjusting MTU, disabling co-existence, etc.).  My n600 (specifically the WNDR3400v3) is only a few months old.  Why is it so slow compared to my desktop??  I only started playing with all this because Comcast doubled the speed of my cable for free.

FWIW, my desktop is wired directly into the back of the n600, and the n600 is wired directly to my Motorola SB 6121 of course.  Very simple setup.  Thanks for any other advice.

Networking Expert
kevj

flguy2 wrote:

I have the same router and was experiencing the same issue.  Stuck at 17mb, disabled WMM and now up to about 25mb.  Better.

However, my hard-wired Win7 desktop is reading 57mb download, and I don't understand why I can't get near that with my wireless.  I'm testing my wireless devices (laptop/ipad) sitting right next to the n600 router.  I've tired everything else in the book (chaning channels, changing IP, adjusting MTU, disabling co-existence, etc.).  My n600 (specifically the WNDR3400v3) is only a few months old.  Why is it so slow compared to my desktop??  I only started playing with all this because Comcast doubled the speed of my cable for free.

FWIW, my desktop is wired directly into the back of the n600, and the n600 is wired directly to my Motorola SB 6121 of course.  Very simple setup.  Thanks for any other advice.

What are the specs on the WiFi adapter in your laptop? Connecting a Wireless G device to a Wireless N router can cause the router to slow down to Wireless-G speeds, and the 'real world' sustained throughput on a wireless-G connection, is probably only about 25 to 30 Mb/s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure about the laptop specs, but I can tell you the laptop and iPad have identical readings, and I'm pretty sure the iPad does "n".

I also noticed when connecting on the 2.4Gz band I am seeing about 18-20mb down, and on the 5Gz band I am getting 25-27mb down.  On either band I'm getting 10mb up, which is exactly the same as my hard-wired desktop, and exactly what Comcast claims.  So why are downloads so much slower, and is there anything I can do to get wireless speeds closer to my hard-wired speed?  Again, my router is practically brand new.  Should I try the 30-30-30 reset?  I prefer not to if I can avoid it, and I have a lot of wireless devices that connect and it's a pain to set them all up again (ipad, laptop, appleTV, dropcam, xbox, printer, wireless extender).

Any other advice?  You probably noticed I mentioned I have an extender.  Trust me, I am not connected to it while doing these tests, it is simply another client like everything else.

P.S.  I am using the cable supplied by Netgear to connect my modem to the router.  The cable has a tag that specifically says "connect to modem".