New Visitor

Issue with Wireless 50mbps

Hello, i have been having problems with my latest speed. I upgraded not too long ago to the extreme 50 from comcast. Of course i had to replace the modem to a device that supported docsis 3.0, but i have ran into a big issue. When i had my old plan of 20mbps i got about 18 mbps wirelessly from my laptop, which is normal considering some of the speed loss would be due to walls and wireless signal. However now i only get about 20mbps wireless from the 50 mbps plan. I have done almost everything to get a faster wireless connection, Including changing around the wireless channels and bands, moving the router across the house, and even sitting right next to it.  I still get the same speed difference. 

Here is some data for anyone who wants to help me with this problem:

Speedtest while hooked straight into the router(Ethernet): http://speedtest.net/result/1430554195.png

Speedtest while hooked wirelessly to the router: http://speedtest.net/result/1434345965.png

Latest upgraded modem: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Zoom+-+DOCSIS+3.0+High-Speed+Cable+Modem+-+Black/9791996.p?id=1218175866...

My home router: http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E3000-HighPerformance-Wirelessn-router_stcVVproduct...

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Issue with Wireless 50mbps

First of all, upgrading to the 50Mbps plan will not have any effect on the speed of your wireless connection. That change of plan affects how fast you can transfer data accross the link between your modem and the Comcast network.

Your internal wirelss connection can be affected by a number of thihgs, as you mention...one that you do not mention is the age of the computer you ar connecting via wireless, whether it has bult-in wireless or if the wireless NIC is a USB plug-in type, and whether the drivers for the NIC are up to date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor

I understand that i upgraded the speed between the modem and comcast. What I don't understand is that i have a high speed router well over the requirments to run at high wireless data speeds throughout the network, and only getting 20 mbps speed. My computer is just over a year old and has built in wireless card. I have also tried several wireless gaming adapters, still no luck. 

Networking Expert
kevj

are there any other wireless devices, such as cordless phones close to the wireless router?

Is the router very close to the modem? If so, try seperating them by several feet.

Do you have the ability to scan your environment for local WiFi access points and show thier signal strengths and the channel they are using. If you live in a crowded neighborhood, or an apartment complex, it's possible your local airwaves are congested.

Are you using the N capabilities of the router? If so, are there wireless G devices connecting to it also? Combining the two types of devices on one router can cause problems that result in the wireless speeds slowing to the theoretical maximums of the lower technology.

For a good tech explanantion of why 54mbps isn't 54mbps, check this article out.

Theoretical maximun transmission speed for Wireless G is about 27 - 28 mbps, allowing for the half-duplex nature of wifi, and all the associated overhead for encryption/decryption, and other effects.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor

At the point i ran the tests only my laptop was connected to the router, and it is using N. Every network device on my network uses N also. I can use my phone to detect the channels of nearby networks, none of which are near mine or even strong enough to connect to. I have connected my router and modem together using multiple different ethernet cables, long and short, Cat 5 and 6,  and have done tons of spacing between them.

Regular Contributor
jazzy007

[ Edited ]

Jacob9424 wrote:

At the point i ran the tests only my laptop was connected to the router, and it is using N. Every network device on my network uses N also. I can use my phone to detect the channels of nearby networks, none of which are near mine or even strong enough to connect to. I have connected my router and modem together using multiple different ethernet cables, long and short, Cat 5 and 6,  and have done tons of spacing between them.

How do you configure wifi band, N-only or Auto? 20MHz or 40MHz?

You might want to try configure N-only on E3000, disconnect all other LAN cables & shut down all other wifi devices, & then try both 20MHz & 40MHz, see will it help.

By the way, if you have not install TomatoUSB firmware for E3000, you should try that. Way better than any consumer level OEM firmware. Provide more control & more status report. Google "tomatousb e3000" to find it.

Edit: Also make sure you are using only WPA2 with AES, which is required/recommend for high speed N, could not remember which one is.

Recognized Contributor

Unless wireless is a must have option, try a pair of ethernet over powerline adapters.  Some of the newer ones will give you at least 200.  You may want to look at an Enginius WAP as well.  These are business class but fairly inexpensive.  The one I have has a built in directional antenna.  I use mine at our beach house and am able to listen to Pandora internet radio on the beach (about 300 yards) and I only have it set at its lowest power setting.

Connection Expert
EG

jazzy007 wrote:

Edit: Also make sure you are using only WPA2 with AES, which is required/recommend for high speed N, could not remember which one is.

It's NOT "required".

Regular Contributor
jazzy007

EG wrote:

jazzy007 wrote:

It's NOT "required".

You probably are right about not required, but have seen several website strongly recommend WPA2+AES for high speed N wifi, included Apple. High speed N means 100+Mbps, not 54Mbps.

Here is from Apple knowledge base:

Symptoms

You may notice that if you have wirelessly connected your 802.11n-capable computer or other device to your 802.11n router or Wi-Fi Base Station that your data rate will not go above 54 Mbps (megabits per second) despite the fact that you appear to have a strong signal.  This should only occur if your router or Wi-Fi Base Station password authentication type is WEP or WPA.

Resolution

This behavior is normal. It happens because the maximum transfer rate for 802.11n using WEP or WPA (TKIP) authentication is 54 Mbps, as specified in the IEEE 802.11n standard.

To allow the maximum 802.11n rates, ensure that your router or Wi-Fi Base Station is configured to use WPA2 or, alternatively, no password. For security purposes, it is recommended that you select WPA2 Personal when configuring your Wi-Fi Base Station.

Note: AirPort Utility will not allow you to select WEP or WPA as an 802.11n option. It will only let you selectWPA/WPA2 Personal or WPA2 Personal for general home use.

• WPA/WPA2 Personal will provide the fastest 802.11n rate for unicast data (directed to one device, such as a computer), though multicast data (multiple devices) will be 54 Mbps.
  • WPA2 Personal provides the best 802.11n rates and is the recommended option.
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Jacob9424 wrote:

Other things to try:

1. Change your wireless channel on the router, you may be getting interference.

2. Try N-only as opposed to mixed mode on the router.

3. Update the router's firmware to the latest versions provided by Linksys.

4. Update the wireless adapter driver on the computer.

5. And DON'T use WEP or WPA(TKIP), use WPA2 with AES.  For testing I would disable wireless encryption but don't leave it that way.

Some of these have been mentioned, just my list of things to try.  The E3000 is a discontinued model, replaced with the E3200.  I never used the E3000, but I have to assume there was a reason it had such a short GA period.  Just a thought.

Regular Contributor
jazzy007

Baric wrote:

The E3000 is a discontinued model, replaced with the E3200.  I never used the E3000, but I have to assume there was a reason it had such a short GA period.  Just a thought.

E3000 is based on Broadcom BCM4718 & E3200 is based on Broadcom BCM47186. E3200 also has 16MB flash vs 8MB in E3000. My guess is cost reduction from Cisco's point of view to transition from E3000 to E3200, but it is just a "guess". Let's just say I have been seeing Cisco product every workday for past 15+ years. :smileywink:

E3000 is really a better router, just because it can use Tomatousb. I am not aware of any non-OEM firmware support for E3200.

Networking Expert
Baric

I would highly recommend AGAINST using a 3rd party firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT unless the user is very comfortable with routers and networking in general.  Nothing against Tomato, nor philosophical difference, but it does tend to require a certain level of competence and confidence that you can get yourself out of any messes you make, which are much more likely when futzing with custom firmware loads.

When someone comes here looking for help with basic troubleshooting, it tends to indicate someone who is new or doesn't have an extensive networking background.  I would never send someone like that off to load a custom 3rd party firmware, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

You may well be very right about the cost reduction., I can't say and I haven't look into what the specific differences were.  But when a product is on the market for such a short time and then a followup product (different model number) replaces it, it's likely MORE than just cost reduction.  In the past, Linksys/Cisco has had no qualms about issuing a new rev of a particular model with different chipsets used (witness the WRT54G series), but they didn't in this case which tends to indicate they changed more than the chip.  Or maybe the chip change mandated other changes, who knows?

Regular Contributor
jazzy007

Baric wrote:

I would highly recommend AGAINST using a 3rd party firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT unless the user is very comfortable with routers and networking in general.  Nothing against Tomato, nor philosophical difference, but it does tend to require a certain level of competence and confidence that you can get yourself out of any messes you make, which are much more likely when futzing with custom firmware loads.

When someone comes here looking for help with basic troubleshooting, it tends to indicate someone who is new or doesn't have an extensive networking background.  I would never send someone like that off to load a custom 3rd party firmware, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Good point on new or non-network savvy person on avoiding Tomatousb. I could only said I actually install Tomato for my close relative's 2 routers at home, set them up with all security feature, & have not receive any call from him for 2-years with regarding these router, & they do work because I visit him very often with my laptop/iPhone. He is almost the least network savvy person I ever known. Getting Tomatusb setup correctly could be challenging , but maintaining is not really that bad. Teaching him how to erase NVRAM & restore from saved config file is not that hard.

I have zero associate with Tomatousb development, but I have to say it is really not that difficult for someone who is reasonable networking savvy to get it up & running. Understand one's capability, & have someone to help if needed is really the key.