Regular Contributor

Kindle fire wireless connection problem

Hello. Have been trying to connect my new Kindle Fire to my wireless router (Linksys Wireless G) with no success. The Kindle sees my network and asks for password. I enter the wireless key and have verified that it is correct, but it says there is an error and to check the password. I turned off the MAC filtering and tried again but no luck. Have powered off router a few times but still will not connect. Anyone know any other setting with the router I may need to change? I bought a new laptop a few months ago and had no problems connecting it to the router. Entered the key and it connected in no time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Kindle fire wireless connection problem

Lots of people report problems with the Kindle Fire's wifi connectivity:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245494/kindle_fire_users_report_wifi_bug_6_possible_fixes.html

In your situation, it sounds like you have a very old wireless router.  If an upgrade to a more modern wireless N router is not something you can do, then update the router's firmware to the latest level.  Make very sure that MAC filtering is OFF or that you have added the Kindle's wireless MAC address to the allowed list BEFORE you attempt to connect.

On the Kindle side, try powering the device off and reseting any wireless options to defaults and try again. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I guess my router is old as I have had it a number of years.  I haven't had problems until now and have turned off MAC filtering, etc. I may need to get a new router and can do so. Any suggestions on a good router with easy set-up? Are there any that have the security already configured? I would like to get my kindle connected for the holidays. Thanks!

Networking Expert
Baric

I'm not saying that the router is the issue, it's clear that many folks are having problems with the Kindle Fire's wifi function and there is likely some issue there.  However, since your router is older, and you already have Linksys, I'd recommend the Linksys E3200 as a good upgrade.  Other models from Linksys, Netgear and others are also nice, depends purely on your needs.  I believe the Linksys models come with no wireless security (not sure if this has changed), but some router models are shipping with security enabled and stickers containing the active settings.  Even if the router comes with security on, you should change the SSID and wireless passphrase, just to be sure.

As for ease of setup, the instructions that come with all the mainstream models are very good, just follow them.

Regular Contributor

Update on this -- turns out my router's firmware did need to be updated. I did that and then re-entered all my previous settings. Turned my kindle on and it connected in no time. Works great now. Thanks so much for the help!

Networking Expert
Baric

Glad you got it working. Can you provide the specific router model and firmware version that works? It might help someone else having the same problem.
New Visitor
penjan

I am having the same issue, only I can't get into the website for my router to update the firmware.  Great present if I could only get it to work!  Can't do a thing until it is registered online.

Networking Expert
Baric

penjan wrote:

I am having the same issue, only I can't get into the website for my router to update the firmware.  Great present if I could only get it to work!  Can't do a thing until it is registered online.

What router, exactly?  Most manufacturer web sites with firmware updates are easy to get to.  You might try the other suggestions mentioned above or by the supplied link.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Perhaps this is obvious, but note that you need to go to the router manufacturer's website from your computer and not the Kindle. Follow the directions at the manufacturer's website for updating the router firmware.