New Visitor

Limited or no connectivity on my wireless laptop

I have 2 laptops connected to my PC thru Netgear router. My daughter's laptop has no problem but I cant connect to the internet. My Wireless Network Connection status is 'limited or no connectivity'. when I click 'repair' it  says, 'Windows could not finish repairing because the following cannot be completed: Renewing IP address". Yet, Network Connection Details show a Physical Address, IP Address and Subnet Mask. But there is no Default Gateway, DNS Server, or WINS Server. I tried disconnecting  my PC by unplugging it, then turning it back on, but my laptop still has no internet. What should I do?
Bronze Star Contributor

Re: Limited or no connectivity on my wireless laptop

What is the address it shows?
Probably starts with 169 which is a "fallback" ip xp assigns when no valid address is obtained.
Is there any security setup on the router?
Is the laptop set the same as far as security?
That would be the most obvious reason you cant connect.
Post back with the ip address you have.
Bronze Star Contributor
thecreator65

newlaptop wrote:
I have 2 laptops connected to my PC thru Netgear router. My daughter's laptop has no problem but I cant connect to the internet. My Wireless Network Connection status is 'limited or no connectivity'. when I click 'repair' it  says, 'Windows could not finish repairing because the following cannot be completed: Renewing IP address". Yet, Network Connection Details show a Physical Address, IP Address and Subnet Mask. But there is no Default Gateway, DNS Server, or WINS Server. I tried disconnecting  my PC by unplugging it, then turning it back on, but my laptop still has no internet. What should I do?

Hi newlaptop,

If you have both the Router and Cable Modem plugged into a Surge Power Strip, turn it off for 1 minute and turn it back on and check the connection to the Internet. If the same conditions exist, then leaving the Router on, use a sharp object like the end of a paper clip and use it to reset the Router to Factory Specs. Hold the button in for 10 seconds, or until you see the Lights on the front of the Router, blink off and release the reset button.

You will need to reset the Date and Time as well as the Wireless Settings.

thecreator -
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
NM

Message Edited by EG on 02-23-2007 07:18 PM

Connection Expert
EG

Split out in to its own topic here on this board. Click on the above link to follow it. Seven year old thread closed.