New Visitor

Linksys BEFSR41

I just set up my Linksys BEFSR41 (Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch) and have encountered problems with maintaining a connection. I have my MAC Address Cloned and my MTU set to 1500. After about 15 minutes, my connection drops out. Strangely, reconnecting to 192.168.1.1 and then saving the settings seems to get me reconnected. Has anyone faced these problems before or know how I can fix this?
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Linksys BEFSR41

Sounds like you are losing your lease every so oftem. Have you changed your cable modem recently? And if your locale requires registered MAC addresses, make very sure of the MAC address you are cloning. and h ave you rebooted your cable modem when you installed the router?
Most Valued Poster

> I just set up my Linksys BEFSR41 (Cable/DSL Router
> with 4-Port Switch) and have encountered problems
> with maintaining a connection. I have my MAC Address
> Cloned and my MTU set to 1500. After about 15
> minutes, my connection drops out. Strangely,
> reconnecting to 192.168.1.1 and then saving the
> settings seems to get me reconnected. Has anyone
> faced these problems before or know how I can fix
> this?

Try these.
First, try uncloning the MAC Address and see if that helps. If not, set the MTU to 1492 and if that still fails, adjust the MTU starting at 1400 and going up in increments of 10 until you get to 1500.

When you unclone the MAC ID, Make sure you powercycle the modem and router so the modem will talk to the router.

If that still fails, Check the lease time on your IP and make sure it is at least 7 days, if it is, you can always try updating the firmware.
Bronze Star Contributor

My BEFSR41 has the MTU setting "disabled" and a value of "0" in the setting box. What does setting this manually at 1500 accomplish? With the disabled setting what is the actual MTU?-- something automatically set? The router works just fine.

I ask because I wonder if my upgraded download speed is going to get faster. The Linksys modem says 3300000 bps but I know it isn't that fast according to 2Wire.com bandwidth meter.
Networking Expert
Baric

The default MTU size varies a bit based on equipment and physical networking layer (ie. ethernet, token ring, etc). It's usually between 1480 and 1500 for ethernet. Setting this lower is a way to force smaller packets if you have a misbehaving or old hop somewhere on your route. For most folks, leaving the default is fine. If you are having a problem, sometimes manually lowering the MTU can get around the issue (whatever it might be).

As for your modem speed, I'm not familar with 2wire, but the Speakeasy tests on BBR show my link speed to be about 2.5Mbps. Not quite the 3MB advertised, but I'm hoping they get the problems ironed out and it goes up to 2.9-3.1Mbps. There are many reasons the link might be slow and very few of them have anything to do with your router or modem (unless they are malfunctioning in some fashion). Both are capable of going so much faster, it's not even funny. 3Mbps is paltry, my cable modem is capable of upwards of 35Mbps and the router talks at 100MBps routinely. Cable is very slow compared to other networking technologies. Partially because it's a shared resource and everyone in an area has to share a slice of the pie and partially because Comcast has yet to do use the latest and fastest equipment, which is expensive, which means an increase in prices. I can live with 3Mbps for now...;-)
Most Valued Poster

The MTU setting from what linksys tech support says should be set between 1400 and 1500 with Cable Modems.
Changing the MTU Setting on mine did not resolve the issue I am having with packet loss but it may resolve yours. I was told to set it to 1492 then if that did not work, changing it in intervals of 10 starting at 1400 up to 1500 to see if that would help. No one can explain the issue that I am experiencing and no one can figure out why I am getting packet loss, but that is another issue.