Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Linksys EA-4500 New firmware and cloud

Just yesterday my router did a firmware update and now the modem has the cisco connect cloud installed. Anybody else using the ea-4500 got the new app for it yet. It adds new fetures and a new interface also you can now log into your router from any computer that has internet access. Just wondering if anyone else likes or dislikes the new router app. Jim :smileygrin: 

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Re: Linksys EA-4500 New firmware and cloud

[ Edited ]

Jim721 wrote:

Just yesterday my router did a firmware update and now the modem has the cisco connect cloud installed. Anybody else using the ea-4500 got the new app for it yet. It adds new fetures and a new interface also you can now log into your router from any computer that has internet access. Just wondering if anyone else likes or dislikes the new router app. Jim :smileygrin: 

I have it, and really like the interface a lot...  I don't need the ability to remote in to my router from anywhere but it's nice that it's there...  What I like most about the EA4500 is it's capable of 450MBPs on the local side, and I need high network bandwidth because I stream HD movies from my laptop a lot, and need the bandwidth to go from my laptop to the router back down to my wireless bridge...

In my opinion it's the best router on the market right now...

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Yeah I agree i like the ea4500 alot it is the best router i ever had i love the huge signal this router puts out. My kids can play utube on there phones 6 or 7 houses down the street with no disconnecting and i can go anyware in the house with full signal bars. I would say the EA-4500 is worth the extra coin. Jim !!

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

BRB going shopping . :smileylaugh:

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

UHFhd wrote:

BRB going shopping . :smileylaugh:

LMAO!!!

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Jim721 wrote:

I've been remotely logging into my routers for 20 years.  There is nothing new about that.

I have an EA3500 and I absolutely HATE the new interface.  It's slow and has timed out on me thus losing what I was doing.  There are a lot of complaints on the Linksys forum about the underhanded way it was installed without asking permission.

I've opened a case with Cisco to get my router reverted to the non-cloud firmware.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

The 'Revert to Previous Firmware" button is indeed gone...  I'm sure with enough complaints, or possibly it's in the works, that option will be returned, or the ability to use the original interface will be added in...   Raises a good point though...

Cisco, please don't adopt Apple policies!!!!

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Dont get me wrong I like the router i dont know enough about the cloud yet to say i like that or not. And yes upgrading to the cloud should have been made an option i was kinda thrown off by it when it happened. My concern is if someone gains your sign in info you can be hacked i dont like that idea. Please post back if your able to go back to the old cisco connect.

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

Go over to the Cisco/Linksys forum to see the hate and discontent for this forced update.  If their cloud is down, you CAN'T access your router at all.  It MUST be  connected to the Internet and it keeps all your passwords in their server.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

sabretooth wrote:

Go over to the Cisco/Linksys forum to see the hate and discontent for this forced update.  If their cloud is down, you CAN'T access your router at all.  It MUST be  connected to the Internet and it keeps all your passwords in their server.

You can...  I disconnected the modem from the router, went to 192.168.1.1 it came up and said cloud not available, and prompted me for the router password instead...  once I was in, the cloud features were gone, I could access diagnostics, the wireless settings, everything except the cloud stuff....  I went back upstairs, hooked the modem back up, came back down, and the router page had already seen that internet was back and asked did I want to login to the cloud LOL....

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

bnaughty wrote:

sabretooth wrote:

You can...  I disconnected the modem from the router, went to 192.168.1.1 it came up and said cloud not available, and prompted me for the router password instead...  once I was in, the cloud features were gone, I could access diagnostics, the wireless settings, everything except the cloud stuff....  I went back upstairs, hooked the modem back up, came back down, and the router page had already seen that internet was back and asked did I want to login to the cloud LOL....

I stand corrected then as the Cisco forum says the otherwise.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

sabretooth wrote:

Misinformation exists in all shapes and forms...

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

I read that on the cisco site. If you dont have a internet connection the cloud will ask for your router password and then you can access the router the old way. No panic there guys..

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

anyone ran the speedtest in the router page?  it's so terribly off...

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

bnaughty wrote:

sabretooth wrote:

Misinformation exists in all shapes and forms...

Did you verify all configuration options were available and your Cisco Connect software was still on your computer?

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

No the Cisco connect software is auto deleted after the cloud update. However if you need to reset your router to factory specs it says to use your cisco connect cd to set it back up.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

[ Edited ]

I didn't install the Connect software, but here's what's available in offline mode:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee409/bfielding80/offlinecisco.jpg

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

Jim721 wrote:

No the Cisco connect software is auto deleted after the cloud update. However if you need to reset your router to factory specs it says to use your cisco connect cd to set it back up.

Nuff said.

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

Wow, we just found this.  This is what you agree to when you agree to use their cloud.

http://www.cisco.com/web/siteassets/legal/connect_cloud_supp.html

If you don't agree, oh well.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Update: After reading tons of stuff on the new cisco connect cloud i decided to take my EA-4500 back and I purchased the Netgear WNDR-4500 workes every bit as good as the cisco maybe better and no cloud.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Jim721 wrote:

Update: After reading tons of stuff on the new cisco connect cloud i decided to take my EA-4500 back and I purchased the Netgear WNDR-4500 workes every bit as good as the cisco maybe better and no cloud.

That router's every bit as good...  good choice...

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

bnaughty wrote:

That router's every bit as good...  good choice...

Better.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Cisco has now posted the non-cloud firmware on their support site for the router.

They appear to have been innundated with requests for the old firmware.

Mine is now back to being just a router.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Yeah I figured they would have to do something im just not happy the direction cisco is going so i avioded the noid and got the netgear I also like the fact you can track your data usage on the cisco this was not an option. Im glad you got your old firmware back good luck with it.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

IMHO, much ado about nothing.  You are giving up nothing in network security, nor are you losing any access to your router's configuation.  I understand about the concern about privacy, and some folks will simply never be comfortable with aspects of cloud computing.  I think that Cisco should have anticipated this, and been a bit more circumspect in auto updating the firmware, but aside of that, no big woof.  As with any hardware purchases, I had already registered my router from day one anyway.  Nothing scary/evil in their TOS.

Anyone who desires to not use this firmware has the option to use the "classic" firmware, which is what they should have offered in the firsat place, would have saved a lot of angst.

Persoanlly, at this point, I am fine with the cloud adaptation, but am still evaluating it before I consider myself a total convert...

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

[ Edited ]

Recent network issues such as high ping, decreased upload speed, overall decrease in local bandwidth, frequently having to powercycle my wireless bridge while streaming because of dropped connection or movie stops, or powercycling the router to restore internet has prompted me to start fresh, factory reset everything, and use the latest non-cloud firmware...  My network is running the best it ever has up to this point...

Very pretty interface Cisco, and I can see how some people would like the functionality of the cloud, but I'm not about to jeopardize they was my local network runs for a pretty blue page...

Ping has decreased from ~65 - ~95 to ~10 to ~25, upload speed has DOUBLED, I consistently get my download speed, over wifi, a floor below the router...

All wireless connections, including my bridge report 300Mbps link state....   Running great...

But I do have a question...  where's my 450Mbps link rate?  I have the EA4500, capable of 450Mbps, and installed the Half-Height MiniPCI Intel Centrino Unltimate N 6300 AGN in all laptops, a card thats capable of 450Mbps link....  Definately no complaints at all with 300Mbps, but am I missing something?

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

It really does not matter what the 'link' rate is.  What is your actual speed computer to computer wirelessly?  You will be amazed on how fast it is not.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

I was mainly referring to each computer's connection to the router, the card and router are both capable of 450Mbps...  got a reccomendation to run computer to computer wifi performance?  Don't feel like searching...

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

Just transfer a 500MB or 1GB file and time it.  Now simply do the math.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Copied a half gig file...  didn't time it, but reached 6.1MB/s not Mbps, and was still climbing but the file finished before it got any higher....

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

That's a whopping 48.8 Mbps transfer rate.  Like I said, you will never achieve the 300 or 450 Mbps rate.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Thanks...  That was computer to computer...  my typical streaming is from computer to router to bridge to TV...  guess I'll go ahead and hook up a 500GB drive to the router, and stream from there...  been meaning to do that...

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

And that speed will be the limit of your Comcast speed without the hard drive.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

How so?  It's all being done locally...  Movie stored on either my computer or connected drive, streaming to other locally connected devices....  I should be able to disconnect my modem and still achieve that...

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

What is your Comcast package?  What is the download and upload speed?

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Blast...  I just don't see how anything I'm doing within the local network is dependent on my comcast speed...

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

Blast is fine then.  But what if you had the lowest speed like 3Mbps down?  It called download the full HD movie to your network and now watch it. 

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

The movie has already been downloaded, and saved....  I'm not streaming from the internet...  I'm streaming a local file across local devices...

Regular Problem Solver
sabretooth

You are fine.