New Visitor

Linksys Router Won't Connect to Internet

I have tried and tried to get my router to connect but cannot. I would appreciate any help.

Setup: Dell Inspiron Laptop with Windows ME connected to CHSI with a Thomson/RCA Cable Modem (DCM315) via USB (computer does not have an ethernet card).

I purchased the Linksys Wireless Networking Kit for Notebooks (WKPC54G), which includes a WRK54G router and the wireless card to put in the PCMCIA slot.

I can configure the router just fine (although I'm not sure the settings are correct), but it will not establish an internet connected with the cable modem. I have tried cloning the MAC address, endless power cycles, etc. Ugh!

Linksys is not very helpful (They just tell me to clone the MAC address and power cycle, which I've done over and over).

I purchased a USB/Ethernet adapter so that I could network my computer "wired" rather than "wireless."

Information about router configuration:

Basic Setup: Obtain IP automatically; I copied the host name and domain from the DNS configuration tab of my computer's TCP/IP properties. MTU is disabled. Local IP address is fine. Not sure what the Subnet Mask should be set to (I left it default, but I noticed the modem's is differnet, should I change this?). DNS1,2,and 3 are all blank, so is WINS. DDNS is disabled. MAC Address of the USB Connection is cloned. NAT is enabled. Transmit RIP and receive RIP version are both disabled. Nothing is filled up for Static Routing. Log is set to "no."

I think that's everything. I'll worry about trying to make it wireless later. I'd just like to get it connected for now. I appreciate any help offered.
Most Valued Poster
jw50

Re: Linksys Router Won't Connect to Internet

The only thing you need to configure on the router is the wireless network part of it. It should work fine out of the box for everything else. I recommend that you look at your router manual for how to reset it to the factory defaults. After you do that shut down the computer, unplug the router, unplug your modem. Wait about 10 mins or so and plug the modem in, wait for it to completely reset. Since you can connect the computer to router by ethernet cable try that first. Connect the computer to the router and then plug the router in. Then boot your computer. You should have internet access. Once you know that you have internet access you can work on setting it up wirelessly but dont change any of the router settings except for the wireless networking ones.
New Visitor

I tried this, and it doesn't work. Whenever I connect the router to the modem the "PC Link" light on the modem does not come on.
Regular Problem Solver

Anon....
Have you tried swapping the cable that connects the router to the modem? Use a "straight-through", NOT a cross-over!
New Visitor

I've tried different cables that I have, although I didn't check to see what type they were. One of them I just bought at Best Buy last weekend.
Most Valued Poster
jw50

Anon,

If you followed the instructions I gave you before and it didn't work then you need to do one of two things: Leave your modem unplugged overnight (I assume you have removed the USB cable and are only using the ethernet cable) or call Comcast and tell them that you want to switch from the USB connection to the ethernet connection on your modem. They will ask you for the MAC address of the ethernet port on the modem (you can find this on the modem) and then it shouldn't take them more than a few mins to get you setup.
New Visitor

Thanks. I'll try leaving it off overnight, and if that doesn't work I'll call about switching. Perhaps, since it was installed as a USB connection, the MAC address of the modem was never registered? I'm getting a new computer soon anyway, and I will definitely want that one connected via ethernet so I can use the USB ports for other things.
Most Valued Poster
jw50

The modem has two MAC addresses, one for the USB port and one for the ethernet port, the problem is that the USB port is the one that is registered now and that is why the ethernet will not work. Most times if you unplug the modem long enough so that you get a different IP address from Comcast it will register the ethernet MAC address but sometimes you do have to call to get it switched.
New Visitor

That sounds like an interesting idea. If I unplug the modem overnight, when I'm ready to power up the next day, should I turn the modem on first or the computer?
Bronze Star Contributor

Turn the modem on first and let it come to a stable point; then power-on the router and allow it, too, to come to a stable status. Finally, power-up the computer. And then good luck!
Bronze Star Contributor
txnative69

You mentioned that you couldn't go to the default settings? Since you didn't get power light or something? Where does the cable from the modem plug into the router port? Which one? If you plug it into the right port you should be able to configure your router without any problems and connect to the www(worldwideweb) it really doesn't matter which device powers up other than modem comes on, as long as the router picks up the packets, from the modem distributes IP addresses to your machines or network done deal.(in a nut shell)Now if you don't have a receiving light on your modem then there is a problem. Router is not connected correctly, router malfunction hardware related, bad RJ45s either way there is a problem if you don't show a receiver light when the router is hookedup.
New Visitor

> The only thing you need to configure on the router is
> the wireless network part of it. It should work fine
> out of the box for everything else. I recommend that
> you look at your router manual for how to reset it to
> the factory defaults. After you do that shut down
> the computer, unplug the router, unplug your modem.
> Wait about 10 mins or so and plug the modem in, wait
> t for it to completely reset. Since you can connect
> the computer to router by ethernet cable try that
> first. Connect the computer to the router and then
> plug the router in. Then boot your computer. You
> should have internet access. Once you know that you
> have internet access you can work on setting it up
> wirelessly but dont change any of the router settings
> except for the wireless networking ones.