Most Valued Poster
BluegrassMan

Linksys WRT54GS "internet" light always flashing

I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and the Internet light on it flashes almost constantly even if no computers are on. Is this normal?
Firefox 3
Recognized Contributor

Re: Linksys WRT54GS "internet" light always flashing

Sure. That's all the random traffic on the Internet. Even if you're parked on the shoulder, the other cars on the highway are still whizzing by.
Most Valued Poster
BluegrassMan

> Sure. That's all the random traffic on the Internet.
> Even if you're parked on the shoulder, the other
> r cars on the highway are still whizzing by.

??? ok, i'm not gonna pretend that i get that, but if you say it is normal, i'm content!

BluegrassMan
Firefox 3
Recognized Contributor

> ??? ok, i'm not gonna pretend that i get that, but if
> you say it is normal, i'm content!

Well, somebody will probably drop by to say that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I believe what you're seeing is all the other traffic on your local node. In other words, all the traffic coming from, and going to, your neighbors' PCs is sharing the data line. The packets that aren't aimed at your particular connection are showing up at the router, but the router knows that they're not addressed to you, and ignores them. But its light blinks each time this happens.

There are also packets that are addressed to you, but the router is filtering them out - these are all those nasty port scans that show up in your router and/or firewall logs. Those packets are addressed to you, but they're bad news, so they get filtered out. Again, the light blinks each time this happens.

Lots of stuff going on out there that you never see.
Most Valued Poster
BluegrassMan

Early Out ,

Thanks for that info. That put it in terms I can grasp.(I am still a newbie to HSI, routers, wireless, etc.) This is not the first time you have given me good info!

Thanks Again!

BluegrassMan
Firefox 3
Most Valued Poster
N3tb0y

>>Well, somebody will probably drop by to say that I don't know what I'm talking about....

Early Out is right, but what needs to be explained further is that you have a wireless router. You stated in your original post that the activity light is constantly blinking even when no computers are on, correct? Maybe your computers aren't on, what about your neighbors? Do you live in an area where there are others using their laptops or PCs with wirelesss turned on that they are surfing on your bandwidth? Have you secured your router such that you are the only one that can 'access' your router?

You maybe providing free access to your neighbors.

BTW, like the call name "Bluegrass", I manage to get out to a few festivals here in Virginia, and also listen to 88.5 WAMU on Sunday's. They have several hours of Bluegrass, segment is called 'Stained glass, Bluegrass', which can also be heard on from the Internet.
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Signature courtesy of Bladerunner
Recognized Contributor

> You maybe providing free access to your neighbors.

Good thought. Baric's sticky post at the top of this forum is a goldmine of information about how to make your wireless router secure.
Most Valued Poster
BluegrassMan

N3tb0y

I do have WAP enabled. Have changed SSID, and password. Download tests are good, so I assume nobody is taking a free ride.

BTW, like the call name "Bluegrass.

Thanks. I too listen to often listen to the same station on the net!I believe their site is bluegrasscountry.org.
Firefox 3