Contributor
WalkerWally

List of compatable routers

I one point I remember finding a list of Comcast compatible routers... For some I can't seem to find it now... Does anyone know if I can use a Netopia Cayman 3500 Series ADSL Gateway to replace my Linksys BEFSR41 router that seems to be having connectivity problems...
Thanks
AllWally
Connection Expert
EG

Re: List of compatable routers

It appears that this device is only usable on a DSL connection.

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pdf/spec/3500.pdf
Email Expert

The FAQ contains a list of compatible modems. Any router that supports an Ethernet WAN connection with DHCP should work. However, the device you have is both an ADSL modem and a router, so it only has Ethernet LAN interfaces, not WAN, so it has no way to connect to a cable modem.
Contributor
WalkerWally

Oh well, too bad.... I guess I go router shopping after all...
Just for the heck of it I connected the modem to the LAN 1 port and the other two computers to ports 2 & 3 or 3 & 4 (can't remember for sure) and I was able to connect with one of the computers.
Does this make any sense? Not really important, but just wondering if I was imagining the whole thing or what...
Thanks for your help. You guys are always such a great resource. Don't know what we would do without you all...
AllWally
Email Expert

All the LAN ports of the gateway are connected together as if they're on a hub or switch. And just as with a real hub, only one PC can use the cable modem unless you purchase multiple IPs.
Connection Expert
EG

If you are talking about the BEFSR41 router, the modem must be connected to the WAN (Internet) port of the router.
Contributor
WalkerWally

OK thanks again for the info.
AllWally
Connection Expert
EG

Good luck :smileyhappy: