Visitor
Accepted Solution

MAC Addresses - Arris TG8626G/CT

I've had countless issues with my Comcast/Xfinity service -- While I work directly with escalations executives / senior management (both on the customer service and technical side), unfortunately neither of these folks nor those they've consulted, can assist me questions related to MAC Address changes and my new Arris TG8626G/CT. 

For reasons which I won't go into detail here, I have a need to change my device MAC Addresses within my Router/Modem. This was an exceptionally easy task with my previous equipment (Netgear, Linksys Routers). Now, that I have an "all in one" Arris Modem/Gateway, this is apparently very complicated. Upon accessing my gateway at 192.168.100.1, I choose "Connected Devices" and then "View Connected Devices" -- I then click "EDIT" on the device of my choice, however it won't let me edit the MAC address. After clicking the "Static IP" radio button, the MAC address field opens up for editing, however it will not let me make changes.

How does one edit device MAC addresses while utilizing the Arris TG8626G/CT? I've made every effort to troubleshoot and research the issue to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

XfinityWatchDog

Connection Expert
EG

Re: MAC Addresses - Arris TG8626G/CT

I don't believe that it is possible to do so with that device.  Don't think that it has a "cloning" feature. Call in to find out.

Contributor
Tshirt

MAC's are 'hardwired'... while spoofing is allowed on local devices, allowing it on a the public side of a wide area network would be certain disaster.

If for some reason you really need the MAC changed you will need a different device(same model could work, but seperate devices are MUCH better).

ONE of the disadvantages of all-in-ones is the lack of control over the WAN to LAN interface.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

I think that the best resolve would be to run the TG862 in bridge mode and add a quality stand-alone router.  Another reason (amongst several) to avoid wireless gateways.

Visitor

Hi EG,

While I appreciate your response, as stated in my OP, "calling in" has obviously done very little good at this point; hence my consulting the forum for advice. On the other hand, I did make a mistake in my OP stating that I had previous ability to change MAC Addresses with each of my "devices" -- That was incorrect. As another forum member stated, changing MAC addresses for "devices" could proove disastrous for networks.

Nevertheless, after reviewing the situation again, it was only my Netgear Router (WNR1000) in which I was able to change the MAC address previously (by accessing "basic settings" in 192.168.1.1). Since switching to the Arris TG8626G/CT (given that it's an all-in-one gateway), I no longer have the Netgear router in service -- As such my issue is "not being able to change the MAC address for the "router" portion of this new Arris gateway".

That said, how does one change the MAC address for the Router withing in the Arris TG8626G/CT ? This is critical for me given the very sensitive nature of my professional work. I would like to think it's possible, yet my only option may be to switch back to the previous Ubee/Netgear confirguration (which would defeat the purposes of why a switch to the Arris was implemented in the first place). 

I'd appreciate any thoughtful advice...

Cheers.

Email Expert

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, that you think requires editing a MAC address? The "Connected devices" page isn't showing anything about the gateway itself, it's reporting about OTHER devices (your computers, game consoles, etc.). What would be the point of editing this information on the gateway?

Networking Expert
Baric

XfinityWatchDog wrote:
That said, how does one change the MAC address for the Router withing in the Arris TG8626G/CT ? This is critical for me given the very sensitive nature of my professional work. I would like to think it's possible, yet my only option may be to switch back to the previous Ubee/Netgear confirguration (which would defeat the purposes of why a switch to the Arris was implemented in the first place). 

As has been previously pointed out to you, the TG862 (or any of the other branded Xfinity Wireless gateway models) does not support such a feature.  These gateways are all running the same firmware load provided by Comcast and that firmware does NOT have this feature.

You have 3 choices:

1. Live with your MAC address as is and suffer whatever banning or problems you claim this causes.

2. Call the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416 and ask them if they have access to the MAC change/cloning feature that I'm very sure the hardware is capable of and have them change it.

2. Have the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416 and have them place the gateway in bridge mode and get your own router that does support this feature (like most of them).  Now you control the MAC address on your public interface.

New Visitor
noblsht

sure, their solution to the problem  is ease-of-use in exchange for reduced functionality, dumb it down for the masses is the plan apparently!

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

noblsht wrote:

sure, their solution to the problem  is ease-of-use in exchange for reduced functionality, dumb it down for the masses is the plan apparently!

Why of course it is!...and what exactly would you expect?  The masses whom you appear derisive of, is where Comcast makes their money!

Comcast is in the business of providing internet/voice/t.v. services to as wide a clientele as possible, with minimal service interuptions. Period.

For most Comcast customers too many user-choices lead to bad results.  Further, as has often been discussed in these forums, wireless gateways have never been known for their wide range of user functions - their very existance is based on ease of use exchanged for reduced functionality.

For those who want finer control over their home network, a separate, stand alone router has always been the solution.  Aside of the fact that sometimes Comcast's firmware does leave something to be desired, their desire to keep it simple is by no means inappropriate given their clientele.

Connection Expert
EG
Connection Expert
EG

Marked solved thread now closed.