New Visitor

MAC filtering

I'd like to enable MAC filtering on my D-Link router. However, under DHCP there are always two listings for each machine. Well two for the pc connected to the router, two for a wireless laptop and only one for a wireless pc. By two listings I mean two MAC addresses. Is one for wireless and the other ethernet? Which do I filter?
New Visitor

Re: MAC filtering

anyone?
Bronze Star Contributor
txnative69

under the DHCP in your router they will be cloned from the pc that was originally connect to the modem. However sounds like your connect so don't worry about that. Before you begin you can do an ipconfig on your machine to get the mac address if using WinXP in 98 on up do a winipcfg to find out your mac address of your NIC. Then once you find out and write it down go in the router you can go to the firewall settings then you should see mac address filtering then add them in. This type of security helps but enabling the other portions of security helps a great deal.
New Visitor

Thanks for the response. I'll try it. Just for education purposes, why would DHCP show two MAC addresses for any of the pc's? Shouldn't it just show the wireless adapters?
Bronze Star Contributor
txnative69

Not sure were your seeing this but in the DHCP list it shows may two that are logged on to the network at the same time or just one that is logged on at the time and it show you the name of the computer.
Networking Expert
Baric

Are these systems connected with both wireless and ethernet adapter with the router? If so, that would account for two MAC's per machine. Two connections per machice is kind of redundant. If possible you should only use the ethernet connection as its faster than your wireless link.

I don't have a D-Link router, so can't say why you are seeing two MAC's unless each machine has two active connections. I only see two MAC's for my laptop when it's in the docking station (which has an ethernet connection), as well as the wireless PC card. I use a Linksys router, so they don't compare directly.
New Visitor

Let me give you the details for one. The pc connected to the router via ethernet shows two MAC addresses. The network adapters in Device Manager are as follows: 1394 Net adapter, Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection, MAC Bridge Miniport, and WAN Network driver.
I ran ipconfig/all (thanks Gemini) and retreived the physical addresses shown. I used those for Mac filtering. All is well.
Now, just for consistency sake, I'd just like to make sure my configuration is correct so there are no conflicts later. The wireless pc's have never been connected via ethernet. Should I disable any unused adapters or does it really matter?
Before I enabled MAC filtering, DHCP was issuing THREE ip addresses to my wireless laptop, all with the same MAC address. What could account for this? I have 4 pc's connected plus one repeater. DHCP shows 10 MAC addresses. Am I looking at things too closely? Should I leave things alone if all is running ok?
Networking Expert
Baric

This makes no sense to me at all, I have no clue what your router is doing. There is no why the router should be issuing three different IP's for the same MAC unless you are seeing a problem where the router is still holding on lease that have yet to expire, but is giving a new IP to the same MAC address on PC bootup or connect. This sounds like wrong behavior to me, the router should just be returning the already leased IP back to the MAC that originally requested it.

If this the latest rotuer firmware for this model?

As for disabling the unsed adapters on your system, I would, just so you're not getting any weird routes setup by accident.
Bronze Star Contributor
txnative69

Yes, to prevent a problem simple problem you could disable the other unused adapters in your device manager. If there is a problem in the future running your network then you can just click the default settings on the router then reset your mac addresses and security settings back into play then download your firmware update for the router.
New Visitor

Thanks to Baric and gemini for all the help. D-Link never returned my inquiries! I still cannot enable MAC filtering for a pc getting a signal from a repeater. So I disabled filtering altogether. I've read online that other users had the same problem using this product. I do have WEP enabled and a firewall on the main pc, so it's fairly secure. All firmware is up to date. I'm still having problems viewing workgroup computers but I'll work it out. Thanks again.
Bronze Star Contributor
txnative69

Seems to be a firmware problem or hardware problem with the router. I would just cut my loses and get another router with great support, warranty and price. Linksys I have heard to be very popular, but for me Belkin has been to me since day one.