Contributor
marc515

Modem & Router Vs Single Gateway Unit??

Just signed up with Comcast Internet and they provided an Aris Cable Modem and a Netgear WNR100 Router. They were supposed to install a single unit cable modem & router, but the installer didn't have it on the truck.

I called Comcast and they are sending a single unit; However, I am having second thoughts that a single unit may not work as well as seperate units.

Can any of you more experienced folks enlighten me?

Thank you

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Modem & Router Vs Single Gateway Unit??

Seperate modem and router are easier to troubleshoot, and provide some measure of redundancy under certain circumstances. If your combo gateway dies, you are dead in the water....if you have seperate units, if the modem dis you are also dea in the water until you et a replacement, but if the router dies, you can always connect directly to the modem to get internet access. Most of the 'experts' here would recommend against the combo units...and the ones that comcast supply do not have a good reputation for wireless signal quality or overall functionality....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

marc515 wrote:

Just signed up with Comcast Internet and they provided an Aris Cable Modem and a Netgear WNR100 Router. They were supposed to install a single unit cable modem & router, but the installer didn't have it on the truck.

I called Comcast and they are sending a single unit; However, I am having second thoughts that a single unit may not work as well as seperate units.

Can any of you more experienced folks enlighten me?

Thank you

To be blunt...and others here will agree...wireless gateways stink, and Comcast's wireless gateways really stink!  As previously mentioned, it is much easier to control your network and isolate occasional network issues with separate compnents, but beyond that, most gateways simply fail to perform well.

I would make a further suggestion however:  If you are getting internet without phone service, then why not buy your own modem and router?  (If you are getting Comcast voice, and use an eMTA modem, that is another story). You can do much better than the Netgear WNR100, and quit paying $7 a month rent.  You can buy the Zoom 5341J modem, which is top-flight, for around $79 to $89, and pair it with a Linksys EA2700 router, and you will have a better quality set up, and avoid paying the rent.

Contributor
marc515

My package is the triple play, and they waived the modem cost for 1 year. Is the $7 rental cost for the modem or the modem & router?

I was hoping the combination modem & router would have been good, as I would only needed to purchase one unit Vs two units

So I guess I will return the combination unit and stick with the seperate modem and router set up.

Thank you

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

marc515 wrote:

My package is the triple play, and they waived the modem cost for 1 year. Is the $7 rental cost for the modem or the modem & router?

I was hoping the combination modem & router would have been good, as I would only needed to purchase one unit Vs two units

So I guess I will return the combination unit and stick with the seperate modem and router set up.

Thank you

You only pay $7 for equipment rental whether it is one or more units, so you are good for the 1st year!

You can have them bridge the wireless gateway, which would shut off its router functionality, and let you hook up your own router, without having to return the gateway.

Of course, if you want, you can always try the wireless gateway first, and see if you are happy with it.  If it gives you problems (sadly, likely sooner or later...usually sooner) then buy a router and have Comcast bridge the gateway...

Most experienced folks here would tell you to simply forget about the gateway in the first place, but then again there is no penalty for trying it, except perhaps your patience!

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

My experience with the SMCD3GNV was that once bridged it worked great, the only drawback being when it is bridged there is no access to the modem status pages. The modem status appears under the router config pages http://10.0.0.1. So,that if you want to view the modem stats, you would have to take it out of bridge mode, check the stats, then call to bridge it again.....Bit of a hassel, to say the least!

Much happier now I have an Arris TM 722G....

Networking Expert
Baric

At some point in the past, Comcast updated the firmware on their gateways so that now they respond properly at http://192.168.100.1 when in bridge mode.  Not sure if this extends to ALL of the hardware models that Comcast uses, but this at least works in teh Arris gateways.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Was still using the SMC in April, up to that point it hadn't been updated, but we live and learn....:smileywink:

New Visitor
shoetest

If you want to leave your modem in gateway mode, but still have your router function as if it's connected to a basic modem, you can do this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=886345#886345

One of the advantages is that you've still got the modem/gateway device's wifi available for guest wireless.  Also, you can use it's LAN ports for devices you want to give access the internet, but yet keep firewalled from the rest of your network.

Bronze Star Contributor
xGMANx

The Gateway Modem has come a long way since 2012. I have the Cisco DCP3939 and I can say with complete confidence, it's the best of the gateways available, from Comcast today. My WiFi speeds are exponentially better, than my stand alone routers, that I owned previously. This is the happiest I've been with my Internet service in the last 10 years.
Connection Expert
EG

Two year old thread now closed.